1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rotors? Need help please.

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by 98LXand99LC, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Dropped my '99 off this morning with the shop I've been using for about 6 yrs for some rear brakes. He just called me to tell me I needed a new rotor for the right rear and that it was going to cost me $115 :eek:. I read a post here not too long ago about some rotors that, as I recall, were cheaper and probably better. I did a search and couldn't find it.

So....

1. What's the best replacement? (recomendations please)
    2. Where can I get them quick?

Thanks!

2. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

3. shocker

shocker

OEM (C-Dan) are arguably the best. $115 doesn't sound too bad if it includes labor, list price on a single rotor is around $100 (I think).

4. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

What am I losing if I don't get the OEM Rotors? He said he had a hard time finding these. I called Toyota and the said they would have to order them and they would be $150.53/each. The rotors on the PerformanceRotors.com site are Brembo for $190 a pair. Are the better/worse/no differerent? Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but I just want the best for my crusher!

5. shocker

shocker

Without any personal experience, I have heard that non OEM rotors aren't made to the same tolerances and don't use the same materials as the OEM ones, resulting in some out-of-balance and earlier warping.

Brembo is a quality brake manufacturer, so they may perform better, but I'd bet you can get OEM Toyota rotors cheaper than $190/pair from C-Dan. ;)

6. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Shocker and Nova, thanks for your comments! Anyway, I told him to go ahead and put the rotors on. He's gonna put two on, $200 for the pair. We'll see how they perform. Guess I'm taking a $200 gamble, if these turn out to be crap I'll get some OEM rotors from CDan.

7. 410225

Why not wait till you get the OEM from CDan and replace when you get'em?
    Sounds like you are replacing one now for temporary and get OEM to replace later seems duplicate and waste of money unless your rotor is really bad.

8. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

MNCruiser, you may be right. I'm being lazy I guess. I would prefer the OEM Rotors. I took the Cruiser in this morning for the rear brakes and he called me soon after to let me know that the RR Rotor was out of spec and needed to be replaced. Waiting for the OEM Rotors would mean that I have pick it up (without the new brakes), order the rotors and then bring it back in. With my schedule lately it's a bit of a PITA. My point was that if these rotors turn out to be crap, I'm only out $200. And hey, I can let everyone learn from my mistake. ;)

9. shocker

shocker

Since they're the rear brakes I doubt you'll have too much of a problem unless you really get on 'em often.

10. jeffb

jeffb

awhile back i spotted these on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457491712
    and bought them. they cost me 40 bucks to get here from canada for a total of $99. for 2. heckuv a deal i thought and so far so good with them on the truck. email the seller. i think he sells a lot of these. BTW they are a canadian product. good luck.

jeffb

11. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Ok, just picked it up and I have two shiney new rotors on the back. Now I feel like I have to replace the fronts!!! :cheers:

12. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

...and your mechanic's explanation for why only one rear rotor was worn out was......? Can you say double charge for labor to rebuild caliper ($11 in parts)?

Doug

13. Junk

Junk

Same thing I was thinking Doug. If only one was bad, then that means you have a caliper issue. It may have gone undetected by you since the rear would likely not cause any pulling. But check it out when you have a few mins.

14. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Junk and Doug, I'll ask the question. What else should I keep in mind?? I have to go back because he cross threaded one of my lugs and had to break it off. He ordered another lug and bolt so I have to return for him to replace it.

15. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=98LXand99LC link=board=2;threadid=12748;start=msg117796#msg117796 date=1078842636]
    Junk and Doug, I'll ask the question. What else should I keep in mind?? I have to go back because he cross threaded one of my lugs and had to break it off. He ordered another lug and bolt so I have to return for him to replace it.
    [/quote]

I'm sorta late seeing this thread but my personal advice, for whatever its worth, is RUN LIKE HELL from this shop!!! First of all, one rotor, particularly one rear rotor that went bad would raise red flags for problems with the caliper but I do not think that the shop mentioned the caliper to you any at all? Second he cross threaded a stud, heeeelllloooo, what the hell was he doing, we did he force it in, why did he then break it off? Third, your whole wish to prevent two trips to the shop is blown. I know hindsight is 20/20 but now you should be able to 'see the light' ... in the future, purchase the OEM parts from Dan and either do it yourself (super simple to replace the rotor there and to replace the caliper with a rebuilt caliper) or get another competent shop to do the work. Sorry to seem skeptical but this shop is more trouble than its worth. HTH

16. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Turbo, no he didn't mention anything about the caliper. I've been using these guys for about 6yrs, but haven't really had to use them for anything major. I've had them do the transmission/differential service on both of my 100's (amsoil) and brakes, that's it. I can do the front brakes myself, but the rear brakes looked like a completely different animal so I was leery about doing it myself. I have to get the FSM's, and will soon. And, I have to admit that this site is giving me the courage to tackle some of this stuff myself.

I'm in Orlando, if anyone has any suggestions I don't have a problem looking for a new shop.

17. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=98LXand99LC link=board=2;threadid=12748;start=msg117828#msg117828 date=1078846055]

I'm in Orlando, if anyone has any suggestions I don't have a problem looking for a new shop.
    [/quote]

I think Mickey Mouse is in Orlando, right? He could probably do it properly! ;) Just Joking, I know I'm being harsh but this shop seems to screw simple things up. :mad: I would find the local landcruiser club and ask them who they go to...someone will either specialize in them or will willingly study them enough to be better bang for the buck. JMHO. Let me stress I am absolutely not attempting to offend anyone, and yes, I am absolutely being judgemental about these people without knowing these people (almost always a mistake BTW) but, from this single story, I'm not impressed and I think you can do better. HTH

18. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Ooh, I missed the cross threaded wheel bolt. Ask him if he rewards all his loyal 6 year customers by using an air wrench on their wheel bolts. Wanna bet he has no idea what the factory torque spec is for the lug nuts? Run. I like the Cruiser club suggestion.

DougM

19. Riley

Riley

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12748;start=msg118332#msg118332 date=1078897657]
    Wanna bet he has no idea what the factory torque spec is for the lug nuts? Run.

DougM
    [/quote]

None of these freaking shops/tire places know what a torque spec is for. :rolleyes:

20. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

eh, do these color coded "vibration" gizmo sockets some of these guys use actually work?
    E

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">