New Roof Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
brightflock.com
I thought you guys might be interested in this. After many months of searching for a good, affordable roof tent, I ended up buying one from a guy in Victoria that sells them right out of his house. It's known as a "Skydome". It sleeps 2 fairly comfortably and weighs about 90lbs. Works well with the 60's factory roofrack, as you can see. :) I took this picture a few weeks ago when I was in the Jordan River area on Vancouver Island... nice view!
rooftent.jpg

03Aug2005 (UTC +8)

Very nice looking! I think it'll do well for me 'coz we don't have winters where I wheel now, so no need for bulkier materials.

How much did it cost? How's the quality of materials? How long did it take to make? What's the weight limit? :D :D :D

Nice tent who made it and how much was it.
I never see you out in the bush with your cruiser? I often go from shawnigan where i live and drive to diversion/ san juan area to fish. Maybe we'll meet up sometime.

Cheers

Challis

I paid $595 US for it. That included a cover that goes over it to protect it when driving. The material is fairly good, it's not as good as the $2500 US lofty shelter tents of course, but it's comparable to a regular tent; ripstop nylon I believe. I wouldn't trust it very much in bad weather, you'd probably need to throw a tarp over it. It looks like it should support a fair bit of weight, but the floor is made out of plastic, so it does flex a bit if you put a lot of weight in one area... would probably be ok if you keep your weight distributed. PM if you want some info on the guy who is selling them, I think he has 15 or so left.

Very nice a couple more questions

Does the ladder have any adjustment for unlevel ground or lifted vehicles?
Do you feel the weather cover is strong enough to protect the tent in the real world?
What is the matress like?
Can you fold your bedding inside?
Do you have more pictures? :)

The ladder is adjustable up to 7'.. that was a requirement for me too as I also mount it on my lifted BJ70. When travelling, the tent folds up so that none of the material is exposed to the elements, so the cover goes over top to keep any water out that may otherwise get in, it seems to work fairly well. The matress is OK but not great.. I found it to be too thin, so I ended up buying some foam and putting that underneath.. much more comfortable that way. We keep our sleeping bags in there when we fold it up, but any more than that and it may get too hard to close. Check out the guy's site I bought it from for more pics: http://bimo.com/skydome2.htm

How's the Skydome holding up? I've been looking around for a rooftop tent and the Skydome is definitely a contender. The setup looks incredibly easy (the website claims it can be done in 18 seconds), and whole apparatus is lockable. The tent material definitely doesn't seem as burly as some others though.
Thanks

Southbound said:
How's the Skydome holding up? I've been looking around for a rooftop tent and the Skydome is definitely a contender. The setup looks incredibly easy (the website claims it can be done in 18 seconds), and whole apparatus is lockable. The tent material definitely doesn't seem as burly as some others though.
Thanks

If you are looking at tent top's you might want to check out the new tent system that Adventure Trailers will be soon offering. You will probably have to call them/e-mail them to get the latest info...they are getting ready to make their own with their own design (around a king size mattress). This will also incorporate, as I understand it, a 10'x10' room option...

Thanks for the tip. A king sized mattress, that's crazy! Any idea how much they'll charge?

The skydome website lists it at $895 US. Did you get yours on sale?
Thanks

Southbound said:
Thanks for the tip. A king sized mattress, that's crazy! Any idea how much they'll charge?

I think they're around $1600. Don't know if that includes the 10'x10' enclosed 'room' or not.

Southbound said:
A king sized mattress, that's crazy!

No, that's awesome.

As one who is 6'4", the size of the beds has always been an issue for roof top tents and travel trailers. Right now I'm on a big cot, but the wife is tall to. I will check this out.

Yeah, I think he had a sale going on when I picked mine up. I would just ask for the same deal, he's just some guy selling them out of his house, so I'm sure you could wheel and deal a bit :)

Yeah, Garth just sold me mine for $650 including the two accessories. It probably helped that I told him about my impending trip to Central/S. America and promised to mention the Skydome on my website. Both the tent and the seller seem very cool.

I was curious about the cover and how it performs on high speeds. Since it's wrapped around the roof load bars, you don't really get to cinch it down well. Does it flap on hwy speeds? If so, what have you done to improve the situation.

TIA,

Ali

I'm repairing rust on my roof right now so I haven't even had a chance to mount the tent yet...

How does the tent look folded up? I am interested in how it folds up and what it looks like.

Looks like a nice tent and a good alternative to some of the other pricier tents.

Looks good on your Cruiser too!

Thanks

That's a very good deal.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom