New Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished making a 7' X 4' roof rack.
Thought it came out pretty good considering my limited metal working experience and building it at home. Total cost $225. $120 for steel, $80 for powder coating, $25 for quick fist clamps.
Built it out of 3/4 square tubing. Got lots of ideas from here on this board.
Added:
mountings for spare tires
mounts for an ATV tool box (future)
brackets for removable front wind deflector
padlock brackets
Jack & shovel brackets for Quick Fuist clamps.
Security covers that lock over mounting nuts.

Only disadvantage of welding on the brackets is that it will only fit on an FJ60.
That's alright...never selling mine.
aaarr1bb

aaarr3bb

aaarr4bb

nice

I'm thinking about building one like that too. Is it 48" on the inside or the outside? And what kind of clamps are those? Way cool.

Blue 60

looks great Steve! Great job. Are you warming up for making body armor? sliders, bumpers, q-panel protection??:beer:

i see x's.

That's it Mike!...Getting warmed up to put some sliders on.

The brackets are Pik-N-Pull specials. Four came off the ladder rack of a plumbers truck. The other two off a phone truck. They just all happened to match.

Inside bars are 48". So total width would be 49 1/2"

that looks decent. Hows the weight? How did you do your bends on the corners? You have a tubing bender? LAstly hows the 6.2 working out for you. From what I have heard its kinda the black sheep of the deisels? Bio deisel as well, mad props to ya. Wish I had the know how to go that route.

i can see it now. good work sir. Looks great!

I made a jig see pic below. Heated up the tubing and bent around it.
The rack weighs 53 lbs.
The 6.2 is working out just fine. They only have a bad rap because they are lower on power compared to other US diesels. But if you're used to driving Land Cruisers, it doesn't seem the least bit slow. It's the 5.7 diesels that really have the bad rap.
aaarr7bb

aaarr6bb

NNNIiiccee work dude. Dont mount your spare tire up there or I will spend half the day figuring out how to get you rubber side down.:D You always do great work.

Dude, that looks great Steve. Pretty much what I was thinking for a rack.. Can't wait to see the sliders next.

That is awesome!!! Looks Almost exactly like what i want for a roof rack. Now did you say you made the metal benders yourself???

Made the benders myself. Bought some length of 2" X 3/16" thick flat bar, heated it and bent it around a 10" dia cooking pot. 1" wide X 3/16" flat bar would work fine too. I welded the bends onto some 1/8" thick flat plate.
You really wouldn't have to make the benders. You could bend your steel around anything round and steel, but the jigs make more consistant bends.

Steve, that is a great rack. Surprising how light it is. My aluminum rack for the 80 weighs about 80lbs and cost 5 times as much! later

Very nice. Love the jig you made, great idea. Got the steel already, (at White Sharks place) just don't have the time. Hopefully in the near future I can get a rack whipped up.

You dig a great job, thanks for sharing.

Nice rack man!!!

Hey FL cruiser, you should market or patened your home made bender... BTW the rack looks great.. Thanks for the ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom