1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rod Cap nuts on F motor?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jim45r, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jim45r

jim45r

I'm about to put the rod bearings in my '72 F, and reading the manual I see that they say about the rod bearing cap nuts: ". . . later models use self locking nuts that should be renewed on reassembly.". I haven't found any discussion in the forums I've checked. A cruiser buddy says he's built more than a few engines and always used the bolts over. SOR only wants .60 apiece. . . . but I'd have to wait until next week to see if the dealer has them. What's the general consensus? Manufacturer overkill or necessary precaution? I have a set of early rods that have the castle nuts and cotter keys - but I 'spose I'd need to rebush them and not sure about using them with my current pistons & wrist pins. They sure appeal to my industrial strength side - got to add 150ft/lb of torque! ;)

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  3. challis

challis

put the new nuts on. these engines are under haevy load and if the engine gets too hot the crystal structure of the nut can change causing failure.Just one can destroy your oil pump, lower bearings, cranckshaft etc. . all to save $20

4. jim45r

jim45r

Hmmm, finally got my head out of my pocket and realized that the rods clamp to the wrist pin (duh!)so wouldn't need bushing, so maybe I will runs those older rods - decisions, decisions . . . . I guess I should mike 'em, though, and is it worth $20 and the time . . . I'll sleep on it. Thanks, guys!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">