New ride pictures! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked this up. Needs a decent amount of work and maintenance to make it roadworthy, but pretty straight overall and the inside is very clean. Original drive train with 121k on the clock. A few amateur add-ons that need cleaned up. Suspension is pretty tired. The mouse living in it has been evicted.

My boy is pretty excited too.

1987 LC.jpg

That looks clean. More pics please.

Awesome rig. Your FJ is great vehicle for the little guy to learn the basics. Check to see if rhe Galley Plug was done.

good score! i didnt think that interior colour came with the brown exterior. was one or the other changed? super clean looking in any case!

Thanks everyone! I dig it.

Awesome rig. Your FJ is great vehicle for the little guy to learn the basics. Check to see if rhe Galley Plug was done.

Oil galley plug is not done. Didn't even know that was a thing, so thank you. Now on the list of to-do's. I will also say that my son is basically a master mechanic, in that he has mastered hitting things with a hammer until they break. They other day he stepped into professional territory by using a screw driver handle to tap on something. Not bragging, but he's a genious. Next thing I know he'll be using vice grips and losing 10MM sockets.

good score! i didnt think that interior colour came with the brown exterior. was one or the other changed? super clean looking in any case!

I think it is original color combo. I don't see anything that would suggest otherwise. There was some very crappy paint work on the rear DS quarter, but other than that, it hasn't been repainted and the original interior is in very good shape. It does have a dash cap lay over on it, and the dash underneath is also grey.

the clean dash alone prlly worth 2k.... looks great!!!

the clean dash alone prlly worth 2k.... looks great!!!
Yeah, it’s a cover. What’s underneath isn’t as nice. The bezels and all the controls are SUPER nice. I’m not really too worried about it. Just glad I don’t have to spend that much on fixing everything. Ive been pretty fortunate with this one.

Been working on this guy a little bit. I'll try to break it up into a couple of posts but it won't be chronological. So first things first:

I chased a red wire. The red wire was connected to a bundle in the rear passenger side quarter panel where I found a (drumroll) period correct mobile phone system. I also found some other evidence in the form of a business card (since this little venture required me to remove the passenger seat) to an attorney in Encino, CA. I called the PO that I bought this from and he told me that's who he bought it from. So technically I'm the third owner and the attorney would have likely put this phone system in when the vehicle was new. I showed it to my kids and it blew their minds. My son even asked where the screen was. I did point out that it came with the optional loud speaker, which was a big deal back then. Unfortunately the handset was long gone, but I donated the rest of the unit to the local museum.

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7171.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7177.JPG

SXSW1096.JPG

Next thing:

The water pump was suspect. I didn't have to suspect it long since I have been going through the different systems it started leaking profusely. I loosened up the belts and could feel slop in the pulley shaft and it was not happy turning.

I called the local Toyota dealer who told me that nothing was available for my vehicle any longer. Here's where it gets fun. The same dealership has an online parts portal. Using part numbers and my VIN I was able to find everything I needed for the water pump, plus a few more things! A little humorous when I picked everything up and the gal I spoke with had to hand me all of my parts she told me were unavailable (I opted for pick up in store since it was quicker and saved on shipping). She was nice and we had a nice conversation about how they can still get many of these parts if they put in a little bit of time looking. I'm sure lots of you guys and gals know how that goes.

So I got:
water pump and gasket
water pump to pipe hose
water pump to oil cooler hose
new hose clamps (the factory correct Toyota ones were cheaper than the off the shelf clamps)
lower radiator hose
all three belts
cap
rotor
PCV valve and grommet x2
wiper opening covers
big oil filter
new ignition key

and I'm sure a few other things. I will say that the new belts fit much better than the gates/parts store/brand x ones. It put the adjustments back in the right spots and they fit just like the FSM says they should. And as so many other Toyota parts seem to do. Another cool thing I discovered is that the factory distributor cap is labeled for plug wires.

Here's a few pics. Can't help but put some pics of my helpers in there.

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7131.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7169.JPG

And third, I'm sorting through some carb issues. The PO had stated he couldn't get it to run or idle. I made it run, but couldn't find idle. I read lots of things to look here on the forums and since it had been sitting for 3 years I figured a rebuild/refresh wouldn't hurt. I bought the Keyster kit and went to town. It actually looked really good and some obvious things that needed addressed were taken care of. Going through it, someone had obviously taken it apart before, and nothing is ever easy...

If someone could please explain to me WTF someone was thinking I would really appreciate it. The idle solenoid was completely ground down. I looked down the port where it insert into the carb and saw no damage, so my guess is that someone took this thing out and modified it for some reason. Probably to address another issue, but really, what could they have fixed? I just don't get it. If you've every got into one of these carbs you'll know what I'm talking about looking at these pictures. Here are some side by side of the new versus the old solenoid.

Anyways, got the new solenoid from Cruiser Corps. There was an issue with my address in their computer which delayed it for a week, but it's here now so I at least have it in my hand. Why I can't install it is a whole other can of worms, but I'll get there when I can walk again. To be continued and I'm hoping to get to drive it sooner rather than later. Cheers!

IMG_7142.JPG

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

IMG_7303.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom