New/Replacement Steering Box Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my cruiser at 170k with a fair bit of play in the steering. Went through all the standard steps;
  • Sent box to wtor to reseal
  • Replaced Tie Rod ends
  • etc.
The reseal of the box didn't really help at all with teh amount of play. The adjuster nut is fully maxed out so I don't think there's much left to do with regards to the current box. There's about 1.5-2" of play at the steering wheel which is over the the FSM max and makes the cruiser more exhausting to drive on the highway.

So, wondering what the options are for replacement, if I'm thinking of trying to get about another 50-60k miles out of the car. (Currently at 260k miles.)

1. Replace with a reman'd box from WTOR, Rock auto, etc. Prety cheap price but I'm worried that at this point most steering boxes that are being rebuilt have some wear associated to them...and shipping a box back and forth if its only marginally better could get expensive quick. Seems like a bit of a gamble...could end up with a solid box, or could end up with a box as worn as mine but with new seals. In the area of about $600 from what I can tell.
  2. Buy a new OE box. Amayama has Toyota 44110-60211 - CARRIER, GEAR ASSY for 1700 plus the ride (which I believe comes with a pitman arm that I don't really need unless the box uses the newer gear size)...shipped from Japan. Also have the box alone 44110-60212 (links to same part number) from the UAE for 1415. Shipping from UAE to Colorado is $104 from their estimator.
Any opinions, on either ordering from Amayama (specifically from the UAE) or if its worth somewhere between 1500 and 2k for a new OEM box for another 50k miles? I'm just kinda over the amount of play in the system right now.

Last edited:
When you say maxxed out, how far down is it?

I went a full 1.5 turns on my 170k box and will probably go another 1/2 turn this week to tighten it up.

Just make sure there's no binding at full lock.

If your near Denver there is a great gear box rebuilder. I’ve used him for years. If you decide that rebuilding is an option Humberto will use Toyota OEM parts if you bring them to him. Other wise he uses rebuild parts from his after market source.

303-292-6324

CARS Power Steering - Home

devo

When you say maxxed out, how far down is it?

I went a full 1.5 turns on my 170k box and will probably go another 1/2 turn this week to tighten it up.

Just make sure there's no binding at full lock.

I think its maxed out. Preload was (I hope) set correctly when they did the first overhaul of the box so I'm thinking its just wear now.

If your near Denver there is a great gear box rebuilder. I’ve used him for years. If you decide that rebuilding is an option Humberto will use Toyota OEM parts if you bring them to him. Other wise he uses rebuild parts from his after market source.
303-292-6324
CARS Power Steering - Home
devo

Thanks for the info! If I go the route of finding something used, drop off in Denver would be way easier than shipping to Texas. If I did that I'd try to find a take off that appears to have less wear than mine.

On the option of ordering new, anyone have experience ordering somewhat pricey items from Amayama?

I am in the same situation, I got second hand (obviously) steering box , got the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm and got it re-sealed by west texas offroad. The play in steering wheel is so huge that it's very hard to drive on the highway. I can just grab the input shaft of the steering box and move it without having any resistance.

What is my plan is to rebuild the steering box, what is worn out is the worm gear which you can buy and P/N is 4412060180 , you can buy this from partsouq for 684 and I saw it being sold in US for 540. It would be good idea to put also new bearings 2x 9036436016.

At the end you would have like new steering box.

Jorge

I am in the same situation, I got second hand (obviously) steering box , got the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm and got it re-sealed by west texas offroad. The play in steering wheel is so huge that it's very hard to drive on the highway. I can just grab the input shaft of the steering box and move it without having any resistance.

What is my plan is to rebuild the steering box, what is worn out is the worm gear which you can buy and P/N is 4412060180 , you can buy this from partsouq for 684 and I saw it being sold in US for 540. It would be good idea to put also new bearings 2x 9036436016.

At the end you would have like new steering box.

Jorge

Interesting idea! So you are looking at something in the range of 550 for the valve assembly, 435 for the sector shaft and maybe 150 for the pitman arm? (Do both sides of the gear need to be replaced IE the whole valve assembly + sector shaft? Thinking they'd both wear at the same rate?) If I did those three major parts plus bearings and then the rebuild...I wonder if any money savings?

With your scenerio and the new sector shaft, it seems like maybe there is more wear on the piston/valve gear than on the sector shaft...wonder if just that could be replaced.

20A1BB69-2A52-4A77-B861-9DAAD5AD96F1.jpeg
I got these 2 parts installed after west texas off road reseal didn’t do anything

Now it drives like it did off the factory floor in 1997
I didn’t do the upgraded shaft because mine won’t be doing any serious off roading, these are the original part #s you need

Cool thanks for the info! At this point leaning towards trying to get a new one and then selling the old as a core. Figure the cost of the shaft and valve assembly clocks in at about 1000. Or maybe try and rebuild the old one at some point.

Just pulled the trigger on a new box from amayama. 1,547 including the shipping (assuming nothing changes with cost). Im hoping this combined with the Delta rear panhard bar bracket will improve the steering substantially! Will be interesting to see if this comes with the old style sector shaft or the new one that requires a new pitman arm.

Last edited:
Recieved the new shipping box. Under two weeks to recieve it from time of order from UAE. Not too bad at all. This is how you package a heavy part for shipping across the world! Arrived in great condition with no damage to the box.

Believe that it does come with the larger sector shaft (counted 48 splines on the new) but will need to confirm. Other posts seem to indicate all the new boxes come with the new shaft so I'll order a new pitman arm seperate. (Was overpriced from amayama).

This along with the panhard bar bracket should drastically improve steering! Just need some warm weather to install.

Found this thread trying to come up with a plan for my own loose steering. Curious, did the new box and delta bracket improve your steering?

Found this thread trying to come up with a plan for my own loose steering. Curious, did the new box and delta bracket improve your steering?

haven’t had a chance to get both installed yet due to engine taking a turn for the worse. Plan on replacing the box in conjunction with the engine rebuild.

View attachment 1847816 I got these 2 parts installed after west texas off road reseal didn’t do anything

Why would you think a reseal would fix your steering problems, A reseal is just that a reseal, new seal. A rebuild would fix steering problems. I got a rebuilt steering box for WTOR and my Reg's steering is nice and tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom