New rear suspension - issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redeye

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,
I installed a new Ironman4x4 2" lift over the weekend. I've got two questions regarding the rear.

1) The drivers side rear shock upper metal "sleeve" is rubbing against the lower part, rubbing off all the paint. I think it's the source of an annoying chirping sound from beneath the vehicle when I hit even the slightest of bumps or dips. Is there any way to resolve this, the pass side shock is not doing this so I'm confused over how this is possible.
Pic:
image-2582920031.jpg

2) The rear springs look "bent". They are both located correctly as far as I can tell. Is this right?
Pics:
image-2638645918.jpg

image-3208153970.jpg
image-2582920031.jpg
image-2638645918.jpg
image-3208153970.jpg

So I took off that DS shock and noticed the little plates that sandwich the rubber bushings at the top were cockeyed. I removed them and installed them in the correct order. All looked well until I lowered the truck and the shock compressed.

It is doing the same thing so I suppose my "fix" wasn't good.

Any ideas are appreciated. If I leave it like that, it'll take one Northeast winter to rust it to heck. Plus the chirping/rubbing noise is nuts.

Where did you buy the kit? I'd try calling them to see if they have any suggestions. I just ordered the same lift but haven't received it yet, so I don't have any insight for you other than to call the distributor.

theres a upper control arms that are adjustable to fix the bend spring look.

I have the IronMan 4" lift and the wider FOAMCELL shocks and have no problems at all.

Sorry said:
Maybe you are missing a spacer next to the bushing?

Can you post a pic of the shock mount/bushing area installed on the axle? Maybe from bottom looking up, just to compare installs.

Nevermind I just got the view better. I tought you were rubbing againt the axle.:eek: (assuming the upper sleeve is NOT touching the axle)

Could just be a badly contructed shock or a bent upper sleeve.
I would contact your supplier as stated above.

Last edited:
So I took off that DS shock and noticed the little plates that sandwich the rubber bushings at the top were cockeyed. I removed them and installed them in the correct order. All looked well until I lowered the truck and the shock compressed.

Maybe you can gain clearance if you loosen the top mount and rotate the piston/dust cover 180 degrees. Or you can just bend it a little (the dust cover, not the shaft).

Coil springs shouldn't look like that on a rig that is still using factory mounting... Check for where you have adjustability.

I agree on the shock, it would take a LOT of torque on the mount "eyes" to bend the outer tube into the cylinder. Looks like a MFG defect. But I am not so sure it would make that much noise. Take it off and go for a drive, see if you still hear the noise. If you do, grease all your link/swaybar bushings and try again.

After I took it apart and reinstalled it, the chirping sound went away, but the shock sleeve still rubs.

I've emailed the vendor who sold me the kit, but will call tomorrow instead. It could be a defect, and even if they don't offer to replace the shock I'll just purchase a replacement. For ~$80 it's worth it to me.

As for the springs they still appear "bent". I'm going to ask the vendor about that too. I'm due to go to the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic in July at Rausch Creek and really want to get this resolved, not to mention that I also installed my caster correction bushings at 3.5 degrees instead of 2.5, making my tie rod within a hair of my radius arms. Doh!

One more question, and I realize this could be related to the shock possibly being bad.

The DS rear is slightly lower than the rest of the truck, but half an inch at least. It's leaning a bit. What are your thoughts? Replace the shock and go from there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom