New rear storage area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I needed more space in the back of my Cruiser! With my sub box and my big bag of gear (jack, tools, etc) I always carry around taking up about 2/3rds of the rear cargo space, I was Home Depot challenged.

I first thought about gaining some space with this thread > https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/609880-rear-ceiling-rack-inquiry.html . jjgarci1 emailed me and said he would help me come up with something utilzing his welding skills gained in the military and the use of his garage/shop (evidently sponsored by Mountain Dew from what I can tell by the empties :D)
A couple nights later I went to the monthly CSC meet and we checked out several nice set ups. Further discussion led us to realize a rear grid shelf set up would better address what I was looking for. It would just clear the sub box and have a grid top where items could be bungied down. Off he went and I knew whatever he came up with would rock - I was still pleasantly suprised with the final set up.
He fortunately found some used grid on CL just a couple miles from his house (dig the chrome baby! :grinpimp:) and started building using his own 80 for the template.

IMG_5737.jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

The clearance is tight utilizing all the room but still not rubbing on anything. The whole unit is very square with gusseting on each corner designed for maximum clearance where it is needed. There are four legs that come off the side of the frame and use existing bolt holes from the 3rd row seat brackets for extra stability (marked in the picture).
In order to make the frame large enough to maximize use of the space underneath, John made the frame expandable :cool: for ease of in and out. Small u bolts hold the grid down tight to the frame and is completely quiet - no noises :clap:. I topped it off with a thin padded top that can be easily removed when the the bungies come out.

DSC04709.jpg

DSC04710.jpg

DSC04711.jpg

Medtro joined us for the final install at Johns house and helped us bolt her in. I also noticed that when the seat backs are folded forward, the level of the seat backs are the same as the shelf for one continuous flat space. Home depot runs will be much easier among other things.

A huge thanks to John (jjgarci1) for offering to help and going above and beyond for no reason other than the desire to help a cruiser brother out. The mans got skills, that for sure :cool:

IMG_5790.jpg

DSC04708.jpg

That is very nice - way cool setup !!!!!!!!! :beer:

we need a smiley for bling - so we can rank mods by "one bling", "two bling", "three bling" . . . .

just in parallel to the bananas required :banana:

I'm confused...where does the refrigerator go? :grinpimp:

I remove the second row seats and put it behind the pass seat and in front of the shelf...

Interesting and very cool (well done!)......I'm still designing my own "cheap sleep" platform, there are some similarities here. Q's:
  1. What's the "thin padded top" you used?
  2. Were you ever interested in maintaining use of your 3rd row seats or was it always in your head that those were simply no longer to be in the truck?
  3. How much do you think it all weighs?
  4. Is this for storage or a sleeping platform?
  5. Would you change anything?
Damn cool setup, awesome you got some folks to pitch in as well.

Interesting and very cool (well done!)......I'm still designing my own "cheap sleep" platform, there are some similarities here. Q's:
  1. What's the "thin padded top" you used? Left over excersize mat
  2. Were you ever interested in maintaining use of your 3rd row seats or was it always in your head that those were simply no longer to be in the truck? No longer used
  3. How much do you think it all weighs? Pretty light total 25 lbs?
  4. Is this for storage or a sleeping platform? Storage although it is sturdy enough to hold up someone
  5. Would you change anything? No, doubles my storage and hides my boom box and other gear
Damn cool setup, awesome you got some folks to pitch in as well.

"Left over excersize mat".......must mean you attained the 6-pack and no longer need it.

well done!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom