New Radio Not Powering Up. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replied to a thread I started a week or so ago but thought a new topic might get more views.

I bought a new head unit and took out my old Toyota CD/Cassette/Radio and installed the new unit and it doesn't power up.

I'm using the Scosche TA02B 1984-Up Toyota Power / 4 Speaker connector.

It fits into the grey connectors in the photo. The white connector is what was plugged into the original unit.

I disconnected the wires going into the amp but they are different than the grey connectors and the Scosche harness won't fit into it.

I have the harness connected to the wires that came with the head unit with crimp connectors and everything seems sturdy. No wires are coming loose when I tug on them.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1068.JPG

Your post is confusing to me. On the LX450 (what I have) the radio gets its power from the amp. The power comes into the amp on the larger gray connector and back to the radio on the white connector. The EWD shows everything...its here on MUD somewhere. I took a quick look at the harness you are trying to use and it says not compatible with factory amplified systems...not exactly sure what that means but it could mean that it wont work with an external amplifier such as yours.

The white plug was attached to my old radio and the two grey plugs were hanging loose beside it bound in the same bundle of wires. Here is a photo of the wires that I disconnected from the amp. These connectors are white as well.

IMG_2103.JPG

Check your fuses too, not sure if till be any helpful but when I purchased my 93 one of the fuses was missing and it was for the radio, so I replaced the fuses it started working again but my alarm kept going off, so I found a thread here for the alarm removal process and now I got a working dome light and working radio with no alarm system.

I checked the fuse on the head unit and also all the fuses I could find in the car.

I was lead to believe that the Land Cruiser came pre wired for both the amplified HU and a 4 channel radio. Maybe the grey plugs are connected to anything.

I ordered Metra 70-1761 which I think will plug into the wires that went into the amp. If I plug head unit into that, I'm hoping it will work.

Im getting more confused. My LX450 shows THREE connectors on the AMP...2 gray and 1 white that look like the ones you say are near the RADIO. And it shows 2 white ones connected to the RADIO that look like the ones you say go to the AMP! Your amp is behind the right dash speaker correct?
What year is your LC?

OK. I'm not giving you good information then. I'll check the LC EWD to see why.

My 2006 Toyota tundra had an issue where I cant just buy the harness, if I remember correctly the plugs were different. I had to purchase an amp bypass too, not sure if its the same situation your in.

We'll see when the different harness comes in tomorrow. Let's hope not.

You need to add a signature to your profile that will be appended each one of your posts where you add the year and other details of your truck. That will avoid confusing and get replies that will be specific to your truck.

That fact you have one white and two gray connectors behind the radio is an indication you have a LC. The amp gets disconnected as you have done. The new head unit requires no connections at the old OEM amp, only the two gray connectors behind the radio are used. The LX450 wiring is completely different, does not have the gray plugs behind the radio therefore requiring a new harness from the wiring at the amp. FYI in the LC the white connector at the radio connects to the wiring at the amp. The gray connectors go to the speakers directly.

In the LC, the power is supplied via the gray connectors. You need a copy of the FSM wiring diagrams to make sure everything is properly connected. As I recall others have had power issues when the blue wire (normally used to power up/turn on aftermarket amps) from aftermarket radios are connected to the new adapter harness. The 97 model LC with auto up antennas are different from other years. Eliminate that blue wire connection. Searching should get you all the info you need. If things still do not work then you need to trace the factory power wire feed and fuses with a meter.

I didn't connect the blue amp wire. I read the labels on all the wires and made sure that they were connected like to like.

I actually have a 97. I keep thinking it's a 96 but it's not. It has the power antenna. I hooked the wires from the head unit to the harness for the power antenna together as well.

All LC have power antennas but the 97 has the auto up/down when the radio is turned on/off which has special considerations for wiring. In other years the antenna is controlled manually with dash switches only. You need to search the forum for threads specifically for that.

Yep. My antenna used to raise automatically when the radio was turned on.

I have both the wires for battery power and ignition power connected on the harnesses (like to like). Would that cause a problem? Should it be an either or situation or does it matter?

I feel like a total idiot. I said I checked the fuses and I did but saying how the antenna wouldn't go up made me think so I went out and checked the fuses again.

This time I actually pulled out the fuses that were for the radio and while the one under the hood looked good, it was actually blown. A few minutes later and the radio powered up.

Every few years I need to learn to actually pull the suspect fuse rather than relying on looks.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom