New radiator for a 1980 B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wilder.solutions
I did a search or two and didn't turn up anything, I may need to replace the radiator on my BJ-40 and I'm wondering

A - Is it the same radiator as the one on an FJ-40?
and 2 - Where is a good place to get a new radiator?

There is an impressive variety of radiators available, which is best?

And one last question; does anyone know where I can find some radiator hoses? The autoparts stores around here (being American) only have hoses that fit the FJs.

Thanks a bunch

Also interested... I know Extreme Bends and RADD Cruisers in BC as well as 4 wheel auto in Edmonton carry the hoses or are able to get them but they would be a last resort. You could also try marlin crawler out of California. Not sure about the radiator.

- Is it the same radiator as the one on an FJ-40? ...

No. An FJ40 radiator won't do.

...- Where is a good place to get a new radiator? ....

Toyota Landcruiser 4 ROW Radiator NEW ! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

But then I guess this isn't any good to you unless you live here.

Why can't you recore your old one?

.... does anyone know where I can find some radiator hoses? ....

Mackay aftermarket hoses:
Upper CH 1328
Lower CH1336
Bypass CH1924

:cheers:

FJ radiator will not work (at least the variety of ones I tried). I ended up having my old one rebuilt to a four-core. Most radiator shops should be able to do this for you and although I can not recall the cost, I do remember that it was actually cheaper than the new ones I priced.

For questions of actual fitments a MY = Model & Year + engine type (not 4.2 cyl) & anything else that could make a difference SHOULD be listed.

Then YOU might get better replys .

VT

For questions of actual fitments a MY = Model & Year + engine type (not 4.2 cyl) & anything else that could make a difference SHOULD be listed.

VT

:frown:

From his post I'm assuming a 1980 BJ40.

OK
replied below

VT

Last edited:

VT

Maybe YOU should READ the THREAD before YOU make comments using CAPTIALS... and don't make posts if you don't know what what engine went in what BJ classification and year. There is nothing wrong with the thread.

Last edited:
Maybe YOU should READ the THREAD before YOU make comments using CAPTIALS... and don't make posts if you don't know what what engine went in what BJ classification and year. There is nothing wrong with the thread.

OK
No problem

Out of 4 different manufactures, they list mostly usa FJ but some suppliers use the same number but with a 2700 cc engine for a CDN jpp or jsp ..So for me to trust to post the correct # ???

It's not my truck , I don't need a hand , and I'm not a real parts person. Go see Napa / Lordco/Canadian Tire, Im sure they price you away or the other saying " Caps , Its not made anymore "

You check visteon ,Nissen,hayes,csf etc.. products yourself.

See lostmarbles saying "assuming"

there was 1/2 hr of looking and wasted TIME !

VT

For the rad- why not have your recored? Good as new if a good shop does the work. As for hoses- I just bought a full set for my 2b- probably the same- from the dealer. Check for part numbers on toyodiy and get in touch with Cruiser Dan. Some of the heater hoses were NLA but they are easily replaced with common heater hose. I suggest getting replacing the steel tube that connects the bottom 2 hoses.

Best!

Pete

Update:
I had it patched, then a few weeks later it was leaking again and the shop that did it wouldn't help me (Radiator Shop on Hudson Rd in Rogers AR < Bad Business)

So I had it re-cored by another shop, and when it started leaking again a couple months later they "fixed" it for free.

Now for the last year it's had a slow drip from more than one location, and when I got back from vacation this week there was a puddle under it and it's leaking like a sieve. So I'm looking for a new radiator.

Update:
I had it patched, then a few weeks later it was leaking again and the shop that did it wouldn't help me (Radiator Shop on Hudson Rd in Rogers AR < Bad Business)

So I had it re-cored by another shop, and when it started leaking again a couple months later they "fixed" it for free.

Now for the last year it's had a slow drip from more than one location, and when I got back from vacation this week there was a puddle under it and it's leaking like a sieve. So I'm looking for a new radiator.

The vibrations from the diesel tend to put hairline cracks all through the top header tank after around 20 years service.

That's my experience.

(Waste of time trying to patch those cracks because there's usually too many and they're also hard to see/pin-point.)

So you need a shop that can source a replacement header tank (to go along with a the usual recore).

:beer:

(These days my header tanks get coated in layers of underseal with the aim of reducing the tendency for the thin brass walls to vibrate.)

They exist??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom