New purchase question - how many miles is “too many”? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in some ways mileage could be your friend depending on the prior owner(s) - I was lucky enough to pick up a 2000 LX470 last spring that had many common items already addressed and meticulous maintenance. Already had the radiator, alternator, P/S pump and rack replaced and seats re-covered. I have replaced every suspension bushing/joint, CV/flanges and AHC globes and timing belt - now I have a nearly completely refreshed 100.

If you have time to really comb through the market you can still find some meticulously maintained examples - FYI the Lexus website allows you to retrieve dealer maintenance records if you look at LX470s

I'd say the market has been soft for the last 6 to 9 months and is now starting to come back. For 100 series it's more about gas prices than the used car market in general.

Mileage is a factor, but not nearly as much as it is with other cars. The primary factor with these cars is rust. I owned primarily German cars before getting into land cruisers. For the most part they had half the mileage and needed twice the work. Anyone that says a lc/lx require as much work as any other car has clearly never owned a German car. Mine has 450k miles and after doing the timing belt job and fluids I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. Does it still need things? Yes, the bushings are tired and I'm getting a p0420 code but I wouldn't consider those things debilitating. I would choose it over any German car I've owned, all of which had less than 200k miles. Having said that, if you're going off the grid for a few days, make sure you check over everything EXTREMELY WELL.

To me its purely a condition argument. I've unfortunately seen low mileage midwest trucks that were not safe to drive and should be crushed. I've seen high mileage trucks (including mine) that are better maintained and more reliable than low mileage trucks. The hard part as a buyer is confirming that condition. Someone that takes good care of their vehicle (and I'm not convinced dealer maintenance falls into that category...) is going to want a premium, whether they get it or not depends on the market and their willingness to wait for the right buyer. Low mileage trucks are expected to have less maintenance issues, but you are wagering when you buy them that you will realize that over time. The reality is a low mileage truck will most likely have a better interior, but you could still end up replacing a lot of things that died from age and now you are paying for them twice (premium purchase price plus new part price).

I try to ignore the mileage and look at condition. My 283k truck is in much better condition (minus the pinstripes...) than it was 2.5 years / 50k miles ago when I bought it, and I'd bet it is better than it was 150k miles ago (minus the worn seat cushions). But I've sunk a lot of love and $$ into replacing broken and worn parts. I believe that effort will pay off by having less maintenance over the next 150k miles. The great thing with these trucks is the very strong bones. The odds are very high in your favor you won't need expensive/intrusive engine/transmission maintenance as long as you have it, and if you have a rust free rig, its a tank that doesn't rattle and fall apart over time.

Now, if you aren't a do it yourself guy, you should have a deep bank account or buy a newer vehicle...

First off, I am new to the forums but have already found them SUPER helpful so I thank the community for that. What brought me here is I am currently in the market for an LX 470. This isn’t my first used car buying experience but it will be my first 100 series. I have done a lot of research on what to look for with these vehicles but there is something I keep hanging on… pending some maintenance stuff (no rust, timing belt, axles, cv joints, radiator, regular maintenance etc.) is there a ballpark mileage that is viewed upon as ”too many” or should be considered a red flag?

My purchase budget is around $10,000 give or take with the idea that I will be spending money to upgrade the vehicle and solve any mechanical issues I need to. For instance, I found one within budget that is pretty well taken care of but has 270k miles. Is there somewhere I should draw the line on miles even if most other items check out?

Thank you for any advice you are willing to give. I look forward to my eventual purchase and time spent here.

Also you should ask yourself, how many miles is too many for you to feel like you want to keep it/ keep driving it. Wouldn't make sense to buy one at 300k miles and do a total refresh but you have some aversion to driving something with 400k miles. Everyone has a threshold for for this it seems. Mine is 500k, I don't know why but I feel like that's probably enough (got mine from a family member with 120k on it) and I've done my part, will probably move on to a 200 series when I get there.

Also you should ask yourself, how many miles is too many for you to feel like you want to keep it/ keep driving it. Wouldn't make sense to buy one at 300k miles and do a total refresh but you have some aversion to driving something with 400k miles. Everyone has a threshold for for this it seems. Mine is 500k, I don't know why but I feel like that's probably enough (got mine from a family member with 120k on it) and I've done my part, will probably move on to a 200 series when I get there.

That's a good point and something I've been thinking about actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom