New purchase! 88 FJ62 249k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! Just picked up my first 60 series today! It's a local New Mexico truck. Engine was running good when I went to look at it. Shut it off to put some gas in it and went to restart it and it was dead. No crank, no lights. Was able to negotiate the price down quite a bit for it. Interior is in pretty good shape. It's gonna need some love but I think it'll be a great rig to build! I currently have an FZJ80 that has been awesome! So I'm usually in the 80s forum.

IMG_20190813_110221295.jpg

IMG_20190813_112617545.jpg

IMG_20190813_111409533.jpg

IMG_20190813_112637877.jpg

IMG_20190813_112942851.jpg

Welcome to 60-land. Looks like a nice truck. They all need something, so good luck with it. A good baseline with fluid changes and hose inspection/replacement will get her going. Get ready to be asked about it everywhere you go. Congrats on the purchase.

Looks like it welcomed you with open arms. No problems held back. It’s what they are. Honest rigs. It’s a blessing and curse to be over-designed. The POs neglect all because it keeps starting on the first key turn. We inherit the delayed maintenance. Plus side is you will know everything about it.

Based on your first sentence it looks like there is more than one 60 in your future. As it should be.

Welcome. :rofl:

Great looking rig, love those SE rigs (minimal rust).

Just getting acquainted with my new gal as well.

nice find. did you get the no start figured out? check the fusible links by the battery.

Awesome!
Blue is best!
Clean all the grounds near the battery tray, and on frame down by the starter...
And yes, check the Fuzible links.
Soon to be running!

nice find. did you get the no start figured out? check the fusible links by the battery.

Just cleaned up the terminals on the fuse links, eliminated a wire tapped in on the positive side, replaced the ground cable. Hit the starter and she fired up! Fun times! Engine sounds really good. No smoke from the exhaust. Gonna take it for a spin this evening. Let the baselining begin!

Just letting everyone know I got the 62 running pretty good now. Had a code for the TPS so I ordered a new one and replaced and adjusted that along with the TV cable. On my initial drive it was shifting pretty hard. Turns out the cable was way out of adjustment. After replacing the valve cover gasket and cleaning the oil off of everything she runs like a top! Silky smooth idle and transmission is shifting much better! Man I am really stoked over this.

So I've started doing some maintenance stuff today. I raised the left front wheel and checked for bearing play and the hub feels pretty good. Appears to have had a knuckle job sometime in the past. Also brakes looked good. After putting some grease in the knuckle I was looking at the shocks and I can't believe it but they are originals! Has 32 year old shocks! Wondering if that's why there's only an inch between the axle and bump stop?

IMG_20190818_163207021.jpg

IMG_20190818_163548103.jpg

shocks are not designed to carry a load, they are meant to smooth out the rebound of the springs

the leaf springs being 32 years old would be your problem.

Looks like a nice low mile example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom