New project introduction: HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone;

I recently sold my LJ79 and was in the hunt for either a 105 or an 80 series. Here in Nicaragua the 1hz is definitely the more common available engine in the 80's. However this '97 HDJ80 popped up and I decided to go for it. It has the factory rear AC and center console cooler, single fuel tank with tire swing out. Unfortunately no factory lockers on this one nor ABS.
Like most vehicles in Central America, they need some love and attention to get them back to original condition. While this one is in need, it's not too bad to start with.
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG

This is how she currently sits. The major eye sore is the modified from bumper to look like a bumper from ARB... some people should not own a welder... that's all I'm saying. I did take off those bars, as they hurt my eyes.
I'm trying to get ahold of a factory bumper, but those end caps are extremely difficult to find and expensive.
Interior is in excellent condition; not the factory upholstery, but a really really well done leather.
The only things that needs attention inside are some broken AC vents and missing trim pieces.
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG

The mechanicals are overall very good: 1HDT with H151F tranny. Truck is showing 355k kilometers, which I believe the be original.
I had a compression test done, there was around 450psi in each hole. At least I know it regular maintenance done to it. While it was at the mechanic, I had the injection pump rebuilt and some injector tips replaced and calibrated, timing belt changed, new clutch kit installed, along with seals, belts, brakes and tie rod ends.
I did read that the 1HDT tends to destroy big end bearings, so as a precaution I changed those out too.
There's two big projects that I'll be tackling in the next few months; the suspension and the body work.
The suspension is rigged on some homemade coil spacers, probably the same blind welder who made the bumper ;) . I ordered an OME kit, so that'll be an easy solution.
The paint will take some time. Body work around here has a very low standard. As long as the color shows through, it doesn't matter how it was applied. Anyone with an eye can immediately tell when something was repainted. Unfortunately it's not just that way on just older land cruisers... newer vehicles get that treatment too.
I ordered a good solid DTM primer, so I'll be pulling all the glass and taking this paint down to get a nice clean start.
I'm looking forward to start on this as soon as my parts roll in.
The thought is always on my mind to eventually send this truck up north to the US and import it to sell. We'll see what happens, maybe I'll end up liking it too much.

I am looking for some Oak interior trim pieces, if anyone has some for sale, please let me know.

Good morning everyone....
I'm back at it with the project, trying to knock out some small things before I disassemble it to redo the paint.
One of the pressing issues was the suspension.
The truck had a very poorly made suspension lift... Basically someone welded extension of the shocks, made a coil spacer for the front, and relocated the rear spring buckets. Besides being poorly done and sketchy, all the factory components were worn out.
IMG_0340.JPG

Somebody please take that man's welder away.

This was pretty easily reversed. It was pretty obvious were the original mounts were. So after cleaning up the horrible welds, the factory buckets slid into their original spot just like a glove. My trusty Miller 172 challenger took care of the rest. It's only appropriate that I use a welder from the same era as the truck. :p

I ended up buying OME springs and coils (860's on the rear and 850's front).
I went a bit heavier on the front for the Diesel engine. Although everything I read said heavier spring rates are not necessary just for that. Eventually I'll be putting on a new bumper (ARB or the like), so I took that into account as well.

The front coils I purchased were slightly used, supposedly only two weeks. They were pretty nicked up, so instead of chancing that would rust later on, they got sanded and painted. I figured I would change that color slightly while in the process. I have a graphite metallic paint for the fender flares and plastics that I thought would look good.
IMG_0339.JPG

I do like that color!

IMG_0342.JPG

I never took pictures of the final outcome, but the truck rides a 1000% times better than original. The front sags a bit more than the rear, but I think that's normal with any suspension.

Do any have an electrical diagram for the truck?
I need to chase down some wiring issues... My High beam indicator and my reverse lights are not working and I see evidence that someone once tried to fix them.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Good morning everyone....
I'm back at it with the project, trying to knock out some small things before I disassemble it to redo the paint.
One of the pressing issues was the suspension.
The truck had a very poorly made suspension lift... Basically someone welded extension of the shocks, made a coil spacer for the front, and relocated the rear spring buckets. Besides being poorly done and sketchy, all the factory components were worn out.
View attachment 2819034
Somebody please take that man's welder away.

This was pretty easily reversed. It was pretty obvious were the original mounts were. So after cleaning up the horrible welds, the factory buckets slid into their original spot just like a glove. My trusty Miller 172 challenger took care of the rest. It's only appropriate that I use a welder from the same era as the truck. :p

I ended up buying OME springs and coils (860's on the rear and 850's front).
I went a bit heavier on the front for the Diesel engine. Although everything I read said heavier spring rates are not necessary just for that. Eventually I'll be putting on a new bumper (ARB or the like), so I took that into account as well.

The front coils I purchased were slightly used, supposedly only two weeks. They were pretty nicked up, so instead of chancing that would rust later on, they got sanded and painted. I figured I would change that color slightly while in the process. I have a graphite metallic paint for the fender flares and plastics that I thought would look good.
View attachment 2819036
I do like that color!

View attachment 2819037

I never took pictures of the final outcome, but the truck rides a 1000% times better than original. The front sags a bit more than the rear, but I think that's normal with any suspension.
Hi Kcizk,
It looks like I've run into a similar problem that you had. Someone modified my spring perches and welded a spacer on similar to yours. Could you elaborate on how you cut your spacers off and reattached in stock position? Any photos of the finished product? Did you need to fully break down your axle when you welded the perches back on or were you able to do this with the axle still attached? I am worried about the heat damaging fluids and seals.
Here's a photo of what I am trying to remedy, I started a new thread on it for advice. Thanks,

IMG_0977.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom