New Project FJ40 (My first) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all... Just purchased my first FJ 40. 1970,all orginal a small amount of rust but relitivly striaght. owner said it had a battery problem and after replacing the neg ground cable I am driving (although slowly; 60 TOPS)to work. Looking for a little guidance the last owner also said it used a TON of gas I have since notcied that fuel is leaking out of the weep hole at the base of the fuel pump after I shut off the engine,(1F)at a rate of about 1 drip every second. should I replace it, rebulid it or is this...normal???...Also oil pressure seems OK although afterrunning it a while it appears to run quite low on the stock guage. could the pump be going out? I guess I should say that I am running 10-40 and here in Alaska during this time of year should be good to go..Any thoughs? Also please keep in mind that parts this far north are very hard to come by. Thanks :beer:

Welcome to the newest thing to throw money at. If you didnt know much about maintenance before now, you will by the time you're done. :cheers:

Replace the fuel pump and get an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge and metric adaptor. It will help you with those problems. I am using an electric fuel pump that puts out ~4psi. That is another option for you but be sure that it is set up for either a return line or a pressure cutoff. Also, you may want to look into getting a rebuild kit for your carb and do a general tuneup..plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all fluids (Diff, tranny, coolant, etc.) and whatnot. Its your new rig, may as well start as much of it as you can back to zero. It should also help with your mileage. You could do the Seafoam treatment as well. I have done it with my TJ and will do it on the 40 and my Taco when the time comes. You can search here to decide whether it is something you want to do or not.

skypez said:
I am driving (although slowly; 60 TOPS)to work.

Yikes!! If you're doing 60mph in a stock FJ40, you be a-haulin'!! :eek:

Nevertheless, welcome skypez. :cheers:

And, ditto on all the things that Pinion suggested doing right away.

Oil pressure will decrease after it gets hot. What oil is in it? I switched to 20-50W oil due to the old engine and I get great oil pressure. I would stick with stock parts before changing out.

Low pressure may just be an artifact of an old engine thats wearing. Try doing a compression test. Also see if it looks like there is a leak at the head, both those would also impact compression

the oil pressure senders are supposedly notorious for not working on the older cruisers. an old friend of mine tested a couple i had, but i don't remember how he did it. just another option. i also run 20w50 in everything i have.

my new FJ

Thanks for the input...I ordered the new fuel pump today drove the 30 mi to the parts house at about 53MPH (I need to invest in one of those orange caution signs for the back of my FJ) should be in on tuesday. I'll change the oil to the 20-50 weight and see how it turns out. I plan on driving this stock motor setup until it gives up the ghost then I'll look into my options. I have already purchaced som 33in tires and whould like a mild lift although trying to find someone to ship it up here for a reasonable rate (NOT 300bones) seems like a pipe dream. Any ideas about what gears ratios were available or most common for this model FJ? Thanks.

74fj40 said:
This is useless without pictures!!!!

Welcome to the IH8MUD Forum, and congrats on the new 40
yeah...what he said :D if you want a cheap lift for now, just put in rancho add a leafs for now...a couple of friends swear by this cheap lift

Ok I'll give it a shot...I only need about 2 in to getem on. tune up stuff is good to go. :D pictures will be atempted soon. then you all can tell me I paid to much ($1800)for it.

well i am in alaska for about 6 months if you needed any help that is if your close enough

Ditto on the 20-50. Vermont is a fairly cold climate (not ALASKA cold, but fairly cold) and most people I know run 20-50 on older 40's.

Congrats on the new score.

I am in the Anchorage area, if you need anything. For parts try calling Mark at Cruisers Only. Everything that I ever needed he had or could get quick. Shoot me a pm if you need his number. What are your plans for this thing, leave it stock or mod the heck out of it?

Did you buy that Cruiser locally? I know there was a fj40 for sale in Denali but that is about the only I have seen this summer. Agree with Alaskan40--- get parts from Cruisers Only.

Welcome to the world of the FJ40 ... Life is too short to go faster than 60 you'll end up missing all the good stuff life has to offer. It really is all about low gear not high speed. I too am in the Anchorage area if you need anything drop a line.

My70 FJ40

Update...I ordered some +2 shackles from man-a-not free and they look great the old bushings just fell out but the new one when in very easily. 33's look great also but i am a little concerned about the clearance for the rear wheel wells about 2"(ish) finally got the new fuel pump in after almost 2 weeks. I had noticed a exhust leak from around the exhaust manifold bought a gasket when to fix it and found a pretty good crack in it. Though I would have it welded and whent to a place locally and talk to a guy who said he was unsure how long it would take but about 3 hours. In all fairness I had asked him to weld a plate over the EGR(?) hole also but at 80$ an hour, aprox 240 dead presidents I told him, Nicely, to pound sand. (I knew I should NOT have gone in uniform) anyways does anyone have any experence with the headers avail through downey or Man-A-free please advise. If i am going to spend 240 I'll get something nice!

Look in the for sale section or something for a header. For 240 you can get two or maybe even three of 'em.

I ran 33x12.5 BFGs on mine for awhile. With saggy stock springs they would lightly rub the inner fender wall. On flat ground they stuck out almost 2" from the tub. However when compressing the suspension they pull in and just touch the outer fender.
I also had a leaky exhaust manifold. Replaced it with a header from MAF. Quiet as a 40 can be since then. Of coarse shpping to Texas isn't quite the challenge.

welcome.....60 is haulin my friend.....and it sounds like you have already started modifying. Good luck with your new toy. Keep us posted.

I've got a downey header on mine, works great. But I can imagine shipping will be a killer. Don't forget to put in caster shims to correct the steering now that you've got longer shackles in there. My stock oil pressure gauge works, but reads real low just like yours. So did the last cruiser I had, and so do many others here. If it bothers you, get an aftermarket gauge.

I run a 6 to 1 header from man-a-fre works great. What part of AK you in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom