New Procar Rally Seats: One thing led to another and another and another....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Threads
All I wanted to do was install some new Procar Rally Seats....
IMG_0561.JPG

to replace these....
IMG_0463.JPG

Simple enough....well, upon removal of the original recovered seats, one thing led to another, and another, and another.....Let the fun begin! (see next post)

OK, so I start the process by looking for a set of Procar Rally Seats. And the reason for these seats, well I saw a few post on here and really liked the way they looked sitting in the rigs, thus my initial seat replacement selection. I just so happened to find a guy that lived near me wanting to sell a set he had bought for his '67 vet restoration. Lucky Me, his restoration went a different rout! So I went and looked at them, still had the plastic on, liked the way they looked and felt, so I bought them....in the back of my Tacoma and to my home they went.

IMG_0452.JPG

After purchasing the seats, a phone call to SCAT was made to obtain the mounting brackets. What a great company, they worked with me on the new sliders as well as the brackets. Note, for those who don't know, the Procar seat brackets for a '77 FJ40 are the #81618 & #81619...A few days later, a big package arrives, my sliders & brackets are here.

Thus I start to remove the original seats, and then the fun begins!

Once the seats are removed and the cock-pit is opened up, me thinks, what a great time to find where the lite gas fumes are coming from! :idea:

So out comes the original seat brackets and off with the fuel tank cover. This reveals a nice clean top to my gas tank, but.....
IMG_0464.JPG

Last edited:
Sniffing around for those pesky gas fumes, I was soon to realize, the filler hose smelled like old gas...it had to go! Well, that led to all the vent lines being replaced....So off to O'Reilly's for some 5/16" fuel line, then online trying to find the OEM filler hose & fuel tank breather hose. That filler & breather hose are missing in action from Toyota. I turn to MUD to find out what a good option for both items would be. First, the 2" filler hose, I know that CCOT has them but with bad MUD reviews, not my first option. Thus I turn to the internet, I find and order a 2" 45 degree Goodyear gas filler hose. Next to get, that breather line. It is a 13MM line (I think) which would be about a 9/16" fuel line, but could not find one. Decided to go with a 1/2" fuel line, and knew it would be tight, and it sure was!!!! FYI - for the 1/2" breather line, used soap & water and strength to get that one on there!

So off with the old fuel lines..........
IMG_0469.JPG

and then.....:hmm:

Me thinks some more.....Why not just see what's up under the gas tank! I lifted the tank a little and saw some rust. Well, you know what's next, so I drain the tank. Note, doing this step in your basement, may not be the best thing! At least I was fortunate enough to have run the tank near empty. So with only a few gallons in there, I proceed to remove the supply line at the frame and drain, but I put about half a gallon on the basement floor. Time to open the door and out comes the fan! Not to mention questions being yelled from above, "WHAT IS THAT GAS SMELL?!?!?!?!"....Yes, I know I should have taken out the drain plug, but I read where it was tuff to get a good seal back on it. Hind sight, should have removed the drain plug....OK, now with a drained gas tank, removed the supply & return lines and fuel sensor connection, out comes the tank. Here is what I see.

IMG_0467.JPG

The floor doesn't look so bad, eh.....Well those darn carpet strips held water and the bottom of my tank was severely rusted! Pitted my tank with small pin-holes. OK, now a new tank....

Last edited:
Remember, all I wanted to do was replace my seats....Now, with all new fuel lines and a new OEM fuel tank and OEM sending unit, I'm ready to start putting my rig back together. But before I do, heck, with all this stuff out, time for some paint! Yeah, why not!!!! The seat brackets are all scratched up and the fuel tank is flat black primer. Hey, I have a can of Rust-Oleum - Industrial Gloss Black. Now some shinny parts.

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

Ok, before I install the new black & shinny parts, a little cleaning takes place.

IMG_0485.JPG

Ok, the tub cleaned up for the most part, installed some rubber strips for the new fuel tank to rest upon...now to install a few things.

1 - all new fuel lines go in. For the supply and return lines, I took out the 90 degree bend & straight pipe that was in-line on the original lines. Four less locations where gas can escape, or cause weak points. Also, the top line coming out of the fuel separator, well that one is a 1/4" ID to the check valve and on to the hard line.

Old
IMG_0477.JPG
New
IMG_0482.JPG

2 - The new black & shinny new OEM tank & seat brackets go in.
IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

Oh, almost forgot, some may remember a few months back, I received a stainless steel nut & bolt kit. Although it is not J.I.S., I replaced the old rusty bolts in this work with some new shinny stainless steel ones. The black shinny seat brackets gets new shinny stainless steel hardware. :hillbilly:

S-S KIT.jpeg

Nice! nothing like a little scope creep. It is sooooo easy to do. results look awesome.

A little fab work on the Procar seat brackets, had to cut off the inner tabs to install the Tuffy Console. I put the seat belt connector on the seat with a bracket. Here is the final result on those items.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

And here is the final installation....a simple seat change, yea right! However, I wouldn't change a thing. My rig has no gas fumes inside the cab at this time! Well worth the effort, and always enjoyable wrenching on my 40.

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

As for how the seats feel in my 40. They are great! They hug you very nicely....well, for someone that is about 6' and athletic. Being more supportive than the original seats, the feel of the bumps in the road are minimized and I don't rock-around/jar so much. Also, I sit about an inch higher, which doesn't hamper visibility, but is a different viewing angle. With the seats being adjustable, I get to sit more upright while driving, my preference. The range of motion, front to back, is phenomenal. I have several more notches to go back if needed. As for the passenger seat with that range of motion, and having the AC unit installed, the leg room is incredible. No more bruised or frozen passenger knees.

:clap:

Nice work on the seats. It always the little things that take the longest.

Ha-ha how could you go past this post. One thing lead to another and another and another like the guy that called me yesterday asking if I had any unused body parts for a 55 mainly a roof then asked if they had any rust. Great read love the pics.

So what size fuel line did you use to replace the one from the filler bypass to the tank?
I know mine has to be leaking and a big cause of in-cab fumes, but I have not been able to find a gas line that size. Thanks

So what size fuel line did you use to replace the one from the filler bypass to the tank?
I know mine has to be leaking and a big cause of in-cab fumes, but I have not been able to find a gas line that size. Thanks
77TLCFJ40 - For the fuel fill hose I used a 2" ID Goodyear 45 degree, part number #59202. For the bypass/breather, I used a 1/2" ID Gates Barricade MPI fuel line hose. The bypass hose was a som-beach to get on! I used a soap & water mixture on the filler necks to slide that hose on. It was not easy!

Oh, and for that bypass/breather hose. Lucky me, I had the opportunity to install it twice on the tank side. I got in a rush, and replaced that line before I had put the fuel tank cover back on.....:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom