new potential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1977 FJ40

this looks to good to be true.. I've already contacted the owner for more pics. anyone know this person or live on that area. I'm in Arizona, so id like to do as much research before I make the trip. as always your input is appreciated.

My experience has been what do you want to do? If restoring it then I would find something cheaper and here’s why... you will spend the same $ whether it’s in “good” shape or it’s in “bad “ shape. If you’re goi g to rebuild the engine anyway, get one not running and hence cheaper. Or if just to drive, find one running but body in rougher shape and cheaper. Either way, you typically spend the same amount of money, so I’d get the cheapest, roughest one I can.

Belt sqeak is a easy fix. Always wonder if a fix is so easy why not just fix it. Rust spot in paint but not shown in pictures. Sqeak won't bother me as much as rust spots in the paint. Repainted and rust spot showing thru is not a good sign of quality repairs ahead of time. Would request a ton of pictures particularly of the areas showing rust.

Emissions removed. Plan on having to go the classic registration in Maricopa county.

Yes emissions gear was present. I’ve never heard the reasoning that removing emissions gear affects an engines longevity. Always thought a well maintained cooling system and clean oil filled to the dispstick mark were the important longevity tasks.

Will they send you detailed pictures of the frame off restoration, in a higher resolution? If not, I think it wise to assume this is a lipstick resto. Just from the one fuzzy interior pic I see missing dash pad, pedal rubbers, OEM dash switch(es).

When I got my rig to the point I was happy with it, I was into it for about $10k. To finish the body it’d likely be a couple grand more plus some blood sweat’n tears.

If it only needs minimal work you’d be miles ahead in the vacinity of the asking price. A rust spot or two could really mean there’s no rear sill, 1/4s are shot, and the rear the tail end of the frame could be used as a dart board.

I’ve gotten a reply now await som pictures. @bikersmurf i an aware. Sadly that’s most of the cruisers I find... little cruiser left... lot of money wanted.

I didn’t know 40s had emissions equipment. I thought that started in the fj60s?

You have no idea how much emission crap was on the mid to late FJ40s. The first air pump appeared on the 68 model. It was gone on my 68 when I bought it in 74. Not 100% sure they all had them. When I use to take my 68 thru emissions it was never a problem not having one. 77 it will be part of the visual inspection.

Last edited:
You have no idea how much emission crap was on the mid to late FJ40s. The first air pump appeared on the 68 model. It was gone on my 68 when I bought it in 74. Not 100% sure they all had them. When I use to take my 68 thru emissions it was never a problem not having one. 77 it will be part of the visual inspection.

Odd but i think the 68 had the air pump but not the 69; am not sure which year it reappeared but it was not until early 70s. Toyota was constantly chasing US emissions standards relative to the 40.

There are a few more guys closer to this rig than I am. I don't have any current plans to be in Bozeman any time soon.
He has a post in the clubhouse section, someone should respond there, I hope.

Odd but i think the 68 had the air pump but not the 69; am not sure which year it reappeared but it was not until early 70s. Toyota was constantly chasing US emissions standards relative to the 40.

Curious what makes you 69 didn't have a air pump? Is there a large used port on the air cleaner cover? Does the harmonic balancer have a two groove pulley? How about ports in the head for a injection rail. If yes then it may have had a air pump. If not then maybe the 3/69-9/69 didn't have one. Do not believe no one was doing a annual emissions texting when these were new and most were probably yanked out pretty quick. I know my 68 when it went thru emissions they tested tailpile emissions at idle and running. No inder the hood visual inspection. Also did a gas cap inspection. Only see that you had one not that it had a good seal. Some 71s and all 72s were a sealed system with fumes recovery. Those had a sealed fuel tank. Guessing that was a real big change in emissions.

Curious what makes you 69 didn't have a air pump? Is there a large used port on the air cleaner cover? Does the harmonic balancer have a two groove pulley? How about ports in the head for a injection rail. If yes then it may have had a air pump. If not then maybe the 3/69-9/69 didn't have one. Do not believe no one was doing a annual emissions texting when these were new and most were probably yanked out pretty quick. I know my 68 when it went thru emissions they tested tailpile emissions at idle and running. No inder the hood visual inspection. Also did a gas cap inspection. Only see that you had one not that it had a good seal. Some 71s and all 72s were a sealed system with fumes recovery. Those had a sealed fuel tank. Guessing that was a real big change in emissions.

Answer is no to your questions. Also, I recall reading somewhere that 69 did not have one (maybe they were just referring to 3/69-9/69). Finally, I recall seeing pictures of a concours Monterey 69FST40 with a July build date and 22K miles; engine is exactly like mine and no air pump. Saw a similar stock example on Bring a Trailer website. My 69 does have some emissions--pvc system, vaccum switching valve and rare OEM solenoid on my carb that somehow regulates idle at speed via a speed marker.

John, I just did a quick search on MUD which corroborates this vis-a-vis other mid 69s (which likewise did not include the items you mentioned in your post).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom