New Pink Panty club member! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my 14 Tacoma last week and was in Las Vegas this week and picked up this super nice 12 GX. 91k miles and great service history all through Lexus dealerships. Sold new here in Albuquerque but ended up in Vegas a few years ago. Was looking at 4runners but looked at a couple of GXs and for the same money could get a Lexus so why not!

IMG_20200720_151658594_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200720_151709502_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200720_091938999.jpg

So you did buy it after all, even though you were grumbling about paying $20k+ for an "old" vehicle ;)

This looks like a nice, clean truck. Nice work!

It is really cool to see many of our members getting into GXs.

What are you planing to do to it?
ThIs is one of the reasons I bought it. My Tacoma pulled the trailer fine it was just cramped on interior space. This will serve as a trip/camping rig with light off roading. Trying to decide if I should replace the wheels with 17s or just put decent AT tires on the stock wheels. These trucks are very limited on fire size due to limited spare room.

IMG_20200725_125655806_HDR.jpg

So you did buy it after all, even though you were grumbling about paying $20k+ for an "old" vehicle ;)
I'm always grumbling when I have to write a big check 😄. After driving back from Vegas I think I made the right decision. We were going back and forth on a 4runner and looked at a few but for the same money we were able to get this. Hopefully she serves us we'll.

Congrats man!

My Lexuses are old, but will be most likely be replaced with newer ones someday, but I will usually drive them until they just need to be put down. I love them, got the LX GX and RX. The GX has some things that irritate me, but the wife loves it.

I am happy with my 2010 GX. Great on highway. Have used it twice off road now and in low range a lot. Stock Gear ratio works well for 33” tires. Still learning how to drive it with ATrax. But much better than having open diffs. It should pull your trailer well. Once lifted and armored , don’t ever look at your gas mileage compared to stock 😁.
Glad to be a member in the Pretty Pink Panty club 🤣
Got any questions, let me know. I am still learning about GX’s too, but it’s a good choice. Yours looks in great shape. Miss my 80, but the V8 is great 👍

Just a quick tutorial about ATRAC and about electronic traction control in general. Most of you prolly know this already but once ATRAC begins to work, it is calculating each wheel speed and modulating that wheel individually. So, try not to move that gas pedal up/down while this is happening. Otherwise, the traction control ECU will have to recalc and re-apply ABS to control wheel spin. Gravity being what she is, this short pause in re-calculating can cause your rig to move in the wrong direction!

Now, when you go with larger tires, the wheels are spinning slower which in turn makes the ATRAC feel "lazy" so bear that in mind when you go with larger tires. Of course, if you re-gear the diffs to bring the ratio (to the eyes of the ECU) back to stock, ATRAC will be more responsive.

Anyway, just a quick refresher!

Just a quick tutorial about ATRAC and about electronic traction control in general. Most of you prolly know this already but once ATRAC begins to work, it is calculating each wheel speed and modulating that wheel individually. So, try not to move that gas pedal up/down while this is happening. Otherwise, the traction control ECU will have to recalc and re-apply ABS to control wheel spin. Gravity being what she is, this short pause in re-calculating can cause your rig to move in the wrong direction!

Now, when you go with larger tires, the wheels are spinning slower which in turn makes the ATRAC feel "lazy" so bear that in mind when you go with larger tires. Of course, if you re-gear the diffs to bring the ratio (to the eyes of the ECU) back to stock, ATRAC will be more responsive.

Anyway, just a quick refresher!
Thanks. That is what I have noticed while using the ATRAC. You have to feel the wheel locking up, so being gentle and waiting for the wheels to tell the driver that they have begun to get traction is what I have learned. I like ATRAC. You have to finesse it. I have watched several You tube videos and that seems to be what those drivers are doing. Not heavy on the skinny pedal. Better to back out and try a slightly different line. Some , on line , have said the best set up is ATRAC , with a rear locker. I will spend some time seeing how ATRAC works for me . My GMC Canyon 4x4 has a rear "GOV Lock" and it works in a similar manner. The one rear wheel will spin and then the rear axle will lock up and the wheels grab and the rig moves forward.
I would prefer not to have a front locker and work with the ATRAC.
Does this match with what you are saying?

I think you're spot on Jeff but I don't really think a rear locker is needed given the kind of wheeling that we do with these IFS rigs. It's a mindset that I've adopted as the ATRAC works well for me. BUT, I do happen to have an used ARB locker that I'm going to rebuild and stick it in the 4runner just cause I have it ;)

Make sure you do the “zero point calibration” once larger tires are installed. This can be done by tech stream or jumping pins on the ODBII. This recalibrates the VSC and most importantly the Atrac. You have to be on a flat surface and be able to drive straight at 25mph for ten seconds.
I just put 33s on the 4R TE and got all the way to SOB Hill before realizing my terrain select was not functioning at all and atrac required high wheel speed to start to work. Luckily I had the locker so no biggie. Its hard to find level ground and a long enough straight road in Moab!

Make sure you do the “zero point calibration” once larger tires are installed. This can be done by tech stream or jumping pins on the ODBII. This recalibrates the VSC and most importantly the Atrac. You have to be on a flat surface and be able to drive straight at 25mph for ten seconds.
I just put 33s on the 4R TE and got all the way to SOB Hill before realizing my terrain select was not functioning at all and atrac required high wheel speed to start to work. Luckily I had the locker so no biggie. Its hard to find level ground and a long enough straight road in Moab!

Its a whole lot easier using Techstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom