New PCV, code P0441 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 LX with 205K. Replaced my PCV and related hoses as preventative maintenance at 200K. All toyota parts. P0441 popped up. Cleared it and it popped up again. Replaced gas cap from dealer ($40!), cleared the code and surprise, came back again? Could it be a faulty PCV? I have the screw in version.

I don't want to get in to the cannister unless I'm 99% sure that's it and the timing seems funny. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I don't want to get in to the cannister unless I'm 99% sure that's it and the timing seems funny. What do you guys think?
I think there are multiple potential causes and the canister is the very last thing to check. Most probable culprit is you have a vacuum leak in the EVAP system *before* the canister.

Hi all,

Still working on this one and need some help. When I fill up with gas the truck stinks for a few days while I burn down towards a half tank. Thats in this cool weather so it makes me think I have a pretty big leak. I did a little EVAP system education and i dont have a smoke machine but i pulled the downstream line from the green cap evap port under the hood and rigged a continuous low air pressure from my compressor. I could hear a lot of air around the NEW gas cap and i could feel a little bit. Really started to stink the garage up too. I put a skim coat of grease on the cap o-ring, pushed in to it and tightened it up very snug before it clicked and it is pretty obviously sealing tight but I still feel like I hear and feel air.

I could also hear the tiniest leak on the charcoal cannister. I had to put a pipe to my ear and check each fitting to see which one it was. It was coming from the direct line i was blowing air in to. I pulled it and was getting all my air in that line. When i put my thumb over it, the pressure built up and kicked out my air source. Shouldn't the air have been hitting a closed valve for the EVAP system and been kicked out by the closed valve, rather than need my thumb to block it? For reference, the air i was constantly pushing was about equivalent to my maximum breath blow out.

When everything was hooked up and blowing air I felt a tickle around the gas cap (but loud air sound) and barely audible at the canister line. So i'm not sure where the rest of that air was going but i could not hear it escaping anywhere. I stuck my head near the fuel tank because I have been suspicious there is a leak on top of there but I did not hear anything.

When i filled up with gas last, I believe i left the vehicle running and when i unscrewed the gas cap it did a sharp intake of air in to the system. That makes me think the cap IS sealing properly. Scratching my head on this one a little... right now i feel like maybe the cannister valve is not working properly but i dont feel confident enough to spend $$$. What do you think, can anyone point me in the right direction? I hate to spend over $100 on an amazon smoke tester to use it once but maybe that is the best route.

Thanks

Hi all,

Still working on this one and need some help. When I fill up with gas the truck stinks for a few days while I burn down towards a half tank. Thats in this cool weather so it makes me think I have a pretty big leak. I did a little EVAP system education and i dont have a smoke machine but i pulled the downstream line from the green cap evap port under the hood and rigged a continuous low air pressure from my compressor. I could hear a lot of air around the NEW gas cap and i could feel a little bit. Really started to stink the garage up too. I put a skim coat of grease on the cap o-ring, pushed in to it and tightened it up very snug before it clicked and it is pretty obviously sealing tight but I still feel like I hear and feel air.

I could also hear the tiniest leak on the charcoal cannister. I had to put a pipe to my ear and check each fitting to see which one it was. It was coming from the direct line i was blowing air in to. I pulled it and was getting all my air in that line. When i put my thumb over it, the pressure built up and kicked out my air source. Shouldn't the air have been hitting a closed valve for the EVAP system and been kicked out by the closed valve, rather than need my thumb to block it? For reference, the air i was constantly pushing was about equivalent to my maximum breath blow out.

When everything was hooked up and blowing air I felt a tickle around the gas cap (but loud air sound) and barely audible at the canister line. So i'm not sure where the rest of that air was going but i could not hear it escaping anywhere. I stuck my head near the fuel tank because I have been suspicious there is a leak on top of there but I did not hear anything.

When i filled up with gas last, I believe i left the vehicle running and when i unscrewed the gas cap it did a sharp intake of air in to the system. That makes me think the cap IS sealing properly. Scratching my head on this one a little... right now i feel like maybe the cannister valve is not working properly but i dont feel confident enough to spend $$$. What do you think, can anyone point me in the right direction? I hate to spend over $100 on an amazon smoke tester to use it once but maybe that is the best route.

Thanks
How do the hardlines for the fuel system look? I am in the process of changing my tank, hardlines, and brake lines. Started out as a busted brake line, but once I got into it found other things that needed attention.

How do the hardlines for the fuel system look? I am in the process of changing my tank, hardlines, and brake lines. Started out as a busted brake line, but once I got into it found other things that needed attention.
Hard lines look good actually. Clamps from the rubber to the hard lines are about 50/50 on disintegrating if you grab them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom