New Owner - Questions and A/C blower cleaned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lancerushing.com
New Owner - Questions

Hello IH8MUD!

First, I would like to thank all the members for their posts and contributions.

I’ve been planning a cruiser purchase for well over 2 years. Long story short, I used to ride motorcycles (street) with the wife and we had a lot of fun. Then we started having children, and the kids didn’t fit so well on the bike. So I thought about getting into 4 wheeling / camping for a family hobby.

Started researching (and researching and researching). Thought about a Heep, but I’m a fairly big guy, and I don’t fit in a TJ very well. Researched getting an older blazer (early 70’s), but decided I wanted to spend time actually driving my rig more than working on it. Came to appreciate the 80 series Land Cruisers and now that we are ready to have our third child (due any day), the 80 series is made more since than a new FJ (and a lot cheaper).

I live just south of San Diego, CA in Chula Vista. San Diego seems to have a LOT of Land Cruisers on the market, and I just took my time and waited to find one I really wanted. Ended up finding 2, but had to choose between a 97 champagne LX450, and a 95 White Toyota. Both had the same equipment, (lockers, etc) and almost the same mileage. Eventually choose the 95 cruiser. I like white a lot better, and it was a private seller versus a dealer. (I’m sure the LX would be great also. BTW it was sold to a buyer in Utah.. Anyone on this list???)

Well here it is :

IMG_9411-1.jpg

1996, 135k miles, white, Factory lockers, leather, running boards steps, sun roof, wind spoiler.. Factory floor mats including trunk mat. (driver’s mat getting thin)

I’m the third owner. (First owner was a business that leased it, but it when bankrupt, and returned it after 6k miles). The 2 owner never wheeled it. He didn’t even know what the locker switch on the dash was for. It was essentially the wife’s car to go to Nordstrom’s. Religiously serviced at Toyota of Escondido. (they appear to have done a decent job). The only neg I would say is that it was kept in a car cover car part and not a garage. So the paint is not as shinny as it could be (like that matters).

Last edited:
Mystery clunk

I have a lot of mechanic experience (but not 4x4) and gave the rig a very through going over. The only two real problems I found where:
  1. There is a ‘clunk’ when coming to a complete stop when the truck is in gear. (if you put the cruiser in neutral while slowing and come to a stop it does not ‘clunk’). I’m thinking torque converter is not letting go. Any opinions? :confused:
  2. There was a lot of vibration when the AC / Heater blower when turned up to the high. (already fixed: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=2027047)

Last edited:
Things to do

Other quibbles that need fixing:
  • Gear indicator bulb burned out in dash for 'D' (drive)
  • Alarm doesn't Chirp (saw the tread on how to fix it already)
  • Power Antenna doesn't go down all the way
  • Missing one bold from skid plate.
  • Bolt cover/cap missing from rear seat foot pad

Small Projects
  • CB - Radio
  • Fire Extenquisher
  • New / Additional horn(s)
  • CDL - Switch
  • Pin 9 mod
  • Trailer wiring harness
  • GPS mount
  • Floor mats
  • Darker tint.

Big ($$) / Longer term Projects
  • Sliders
  • Taller tires
  • 2" lift
  • Hi - Lift jack
  • Bumpers
  • Etc

Nice looking truck.

Welcome :flipoff2:

Welcome. Don't forget to baseline the fluids.

That is an ossom rig and for what its worth like romer said just to be safe change all the fluids and what not might be skipped by PO.:doh:

Congrats and coming from another noob welcome to wonderfull group of people! Truely a great forum

P.S :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Welcome. Nice ride :flipoff2:

Thanks for the welcomes. :flipoff2:

Getting my first order for CruiserDan together, CDL, Antenna Mast, D for Driver's light, Cup Holder, etc, etc. Looking into the PHH replacement.

And finding all types of things from the vendors that I didn't know I needed.
oooh, Battery Cables, Clear t/s lenses, stainless brake lines, I can see the addiction already starting.

-Lance

Yep, you're f#$@%d. Now you have the addiction like the rest of us.

With respects to the dash light being out, try smacking the dash above the instrument panel. I know this sounds like some prehistoric repair, which it is. But the thing is, I had the same problem and per Romer's suggestion, I did it, and the light has been on ever since!:D You have to love quick, easy fixes.

Good luck with you new addiction! and, Welcome.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom