New Owner of an 80...lift ideas. no flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I just bought a '97 FJ80 last week. It does have the elockers which is great because I am an offroad fanatic and would love to build this one up but also still run it as my daily driver. I'm not a big fan about the stock flares and I haven't come across anybody that has removed them. Are there any problems with removing them such as holes in the body or faded paint? Also I'm sure a lot of you guys out there are running 35's on your cruisers, would a 3" lift be fine running 35's also allowing me some flex? (I'm not a fan of the stuffed fender well look.) Have you guys run into any problems with pinion angles and such with this size lift? If you guys could please put pictures up of your cruisers with either no flares or 3-4 inch lift kits that would be great. Thanks

-Jake

1998 Jeep Cherokee - (flipped) 4.5 Rustys lift Tom Woods SYE 32" BFG KO
1997 FZJ80 40th anniversary - bone stock (for now)

search will be your friend, yes fender flares have been taken off on many an 80. Yes there are holes. The paint under the flares will be brighter more than likely than the rest of the paint. Many run a 2.5" to 3" lift with 35's----315/75's. Castor correction is desirable with these lifts and generally comes with the kit's.

(I'm not a fan of the stuffed fender well look.)

1997 FZJ80 40th anniversary - bone stock (for now)[/QUOTE]

Judging by your jeep, you need may need an 8" lift to fit 35's on your cruiser:) I use to have a cherokee with a 6" rubicon express lift and 33's. Welcome to the upgrade.

Ok thanks. I thought about taking off the flares so it looks like I have more room in my fender wells. I also like the look of the tires sticking out. Opinions?

Greasy side stays pointed down.

Thought you might need a reminder after your sig line.

Haha thanks. Yes I loved the jeep but its time to upgrade to a bigger drivetrain....and yes haha To alow 315s on a cherokee would be about an 8 inch lift.

Tires sticking out? Is Maryland law OK with that? That would be the first thing I'd check. You can take the flares off and keep the tires legal without flares if that is an issue, but this limits what tire and wheel combos you can run.

It's not ok to have your tires sticking out in MD but police don't really have a problem with that unless it's really bad. I can always put the flares back on when it has to be inspected.

1997 FZJ80 40th anniversary - bone stock (for now)

Anyone has a link to the supplier of this bumper??:hmm:

It's not very easy to put the flares back on if you remove them. Some of the mounting points are nearly impossible to get to. I would suggest you do not plan on it.

As others have mentioned there are a ton of other threads about removing flares.

ok thanks. good to know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom