New owner of a '92 FJ80. Need help diagnosing a leak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, all.
Last week I purchased my first LandCruiser. I have also just recently gotten into these beautiful automobiles, so I am certainly a giant newb. Be patient with me.
My new '92 80 series was such a great find. One owner, all service records and for what I feel was a great price. I have noticed a few minor issues that I can deal with over time, but this issue seems pressing.
I have a slow leak coming from the front half/center of the undercarriage. My oil and coolant has stayed nice and full and clean, so I don't believe it is either of those. Someone has suggested to me that the leak is in the drive line, a possible differencial fluid leak, maybe at the "pinion seal? This person didn't actually look under the truck, though. Only I have, and these are some pictures I took. You can see the drips in one of the. Any ideas?
I am obviously looking for a cheap fix, hopefully fairly DIY..
I have used the truck to get to work, in town, and back all week. Could this cause a bunch of damage eventually? Help a newbie out?

0820181406_HDR.jpg

0820181405_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180816_202735_381.jpg

I bought a ‘92 80 series a few weeks ago I think I have the exact same issue ... I just replaced a leaking valve cover gasket and a leaking power steering pump. Hoping that was it I haven’t had a chance to clean the oil off it yet from the last owner

You may benefit from a thorough cleaning/degreasing to help you narrow in on the sources of the leaks, assuming you have more than one. Oil is going to travel down and back typically so there's nothing wrong with starting with the higher leaks first and then working your way down and back just in case the lower leaks you suspect aren't bad or aren't leaking at all once you stop the oil from above.

That may be my favorite 80 color scheme, after all white like mine of course ;), looks like a great truck.

My '92 had similar symptoms when I got it. I thought it was the rear main seal. I cleaned it good and it turned out the valve cover gasket, side plate gasket, and oil pan arch were all leaking. Replaced them and no more leaks. Rear main was not leaking, which is good since it is a one piece seal and you have to either pull the engine or drop the transmission to replace it.

My '92 had similar symptoms when I got it. I thought it was the rear main seal. I cleaned it good and it turned out the valve cover gasket, side plate gasket, and oil pan arch were all leaking. Replaced them and no more leaks. Rear main was not leaking, which is good since it is a one piece seal and you have to either pull the engine or drop the transmission to replace it.
Yikes. Hoping my leak isn't as extensive... Thanks for the reply.

And this is differencial fluid or oil?

I'm gonna say rear 'main leak' and possibly a leak at your 'speedo sensor' O ring on the transfer case?

I vote for pushrod cover gasket. Mine needs to be tightened occasionally at the rear bolts.

On another note, a lot of people a re jokingly talking about oil leaks being rustproofing. A few years ago I took a lot of time replacing all of my leaks... now I'm taking a lot of time repairing rust.

If main seal is the same way of saying pinion seal, then I've heard that is easy.

Rear main seal is on the rear of the ENGINE.

A pinion seal is on the differential, which is part of the axles, where the driveshaft attaches to the front or rear axle.

Hey, all.
Last week I purchased my first LandCruiser. I have also just recently gotten into these beautiful automobiles, so I am certainly a giant newb. Be patient with me.
My new '92 80 series was such a great find. One owner, all service records and for what I feel was a great price. I have noticed a few minor issues that I can deal with over time, but this issue seems pressing.
I have a slow leak coming from the front half/center of the undercarriage. My oil and coolant has stayed nice and full and clean, so I don't believe it is either of those. Someone has suggested to me that the leak is in the drive line, a possible differencial fluid leak, maybe at the "pinion seal? This person didn't actually look under the truck, though. Only I have, and these are some pictures I took. You can see the drips in one of the. Any ideas?
I am obviously looking for a cheap fix, hopefully fairly DIY..
I have used the truck to get to work, in town, and back all week. Could this cause a bunch of damage eventually? Help a newbie out?

View attachment 1771613

View attachment 1771615

View attachment 1771616

Welcome!

What is your level of ability and intent to do repairs yourself? I am guessing you're new to this stuff based on your questions.

I would do as suggested and clean the engine and undercarriage using simple green and a hose/pressure washer / car wash.

When under the hood, do NOT spray directly on wiring harnesses, distributor, or fuse boxes. Locate these BEFORE you start so you know what you're looking at.

Most likely, you are seeing engine oil leaks. It will start with the push rod cover (referred to as valve cover), then the oil cooler, then various sensors, upper pan arch. It COULD be the rear main seal, but leave that until LAST, as it is involved and expensive time-wise to get to.

What color is the fluid that is leaking. If your engine oil stays full, you might want to see if you have any fluid left in the transmission. The torque converter snout seal can and will leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom