New owner of a '92 FJ80. Need help diagnosing a leak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't fix it! Leaking by design. That's what keeps the undercarriage from rusting.

Sounds a bit like a Land Rover owners thoughts..............:D

I would go with an on ramp thorough steam clean, then if oil comes from between the thin metal shield then rear main seal, or if pink colour transmission seal. If running down the back of the head see above posts re rocker cover ect.

Regards

Dave

I think I'll start by cleaning it up. Simple Green and a pressure washer. What's the best way to guard the electronics from water? Also, what electronics do I need to cover or watch out for?
I think next I'll replace the valve cover gasket? And the oil pan gasket? Then wait and see if I can narrow down any leaks from there. What say you?
Thanks for the information and encouragement. I am on a budget, so I will be doing the work myself but with the help of a friend who has an '85 FJ60 and his mechanic roommate.

before you tackle the oil pan, i would pressure wash the underside, then tighten up all the oil pan bolts ever so slightly and see if it helps with the leak. Often times, tighten up the oil pan bolts helps expecially if you are unsure of where the leak comes from. If the leak still noticeable after, you know its not the oil pan, so mostly rear main or oil pan arch...

Hi, Clean,diagnose,then replace. Don't throw parts at the cruiser. Mike

Capture+_2018-08-21-19-45-21.png
Capture+_2018-08-21-19-45-33.png
Okay. Welp, I cleaned the undercarriage. Simple Green, pressure washer and then a car wash. Not the most thorough job, but definitely better than it was.
I've located the two most obvious sources. Here are some pictures. Two are of the same area.
Still considering replacing oil pan and valve cover gasket this weekend to narrow those out. Any thoughts?

Capture+_2018-08-21-19-45-49.png

You do realize that one of those pics is the driveshaft yoke and is "leaking oil" from over-greasing the slip yoke.......right?

You do realize that one of those pics is the driveshaft yoke and is "leaking oil" from over-greasing the slip yoke.......right?

Nope. Which is why I am here. How can I remedy that? It is my first Cruiser, my first 4WD and I've only had it a week. So, I am really, really new to this.
I tightened up the oil pan last night after pressure washing and cleaning. Seems to have slowed, not stopped, the leak for now.
Does this indicate that the problem is likely the oil pan or gasket?

OK. I am happy you are willing to dive into this to fix your leaks.

That being said.....if you don't know the difference between the driveshaft and the oil pan, I would be a bit concerned about having you open your engine and dive into replacing the oil pan gasket at this level of naivete'.

However, it's your truck and I applaud you for being willing to tackle this.

Always start at the TOP when fixing oil leaks. The valve cover leak can appear as an oil pan leak because gravity pulls it down. The wind pulls it back. Based on the "stream" shown there, it would be likely that it is the oil pan arch seal, thus the entire oil pan seal, but I would still start at the top.

Also, be aware that you have a 1992 truck with a 3FE engine. It is ENTIRELY different from the 1993+ years, so you need to be keenly aware of what you are reading up on.

Also, get yourself an FSM (Factory Service Manual) and MAY be able to be downloaded for free from this forum (look for "hell of a price"), but I'm not sure if there is one for the 1992.

I cannot help with specifics on the 1992 3FE, as I own a 96 with the 1FZ-FE.

The person's posts that you want to read is @jonheld . He's kinda the resident guru on this one, but you MUST follow his advice exactly, as he is very detailed and will give you what you need. You SHOULD do a search ahead of time to see if you can figure out what it is first.

The search function in the upper right is very important. Ask if you need help with it.

Good Luck!

What many diagnose as a rear main seal leak is often the rear oil pan arch leaking. It is very difficult to clean the rear arch of the sealing surface because of the location. It helps to use the OEM 1 piece cork gasket, but again, it won't seal properly unless cleaned.

Take the grease nipple out of the driveshafts and use the car for a couple of days, then replace nipples.

This will expell excessive grease and pressure. You will damage pinion/transfer bearings If left under pressure.

Or disconnect both shafts at the slider ends, clean grease out and regrease sparingly.

Regards

Dave

Welcome, and congrats. How often does the puddle appear, i.e. rate of loss? What color and smell?

Remember, in a 3FE the oil filter is upside down on the top of the engine. Every time an oil change is performed, engine oil leaks all over the place. My rig has a fresh oil smell every time I drive it, the undercarriage is a complete mess, and sometimes I see one or two drops underneath.

Don't tear your hair out just yet, you will be fixing this and that for a long time as you bring it up to speed (though it sounds like you found a well maintained rig). These vehicles were built with very good durability and with the utmost integrity of Toyota technicians. Keep a close eye on the main 5 for the first 6 months (or always ;)) including engine, transmission, front and rear diff, and transfer. The problem should manifest sooner or later.

If the fluid is literally dripping out, just take it to a mechanic for piece of mind, you just got it! You do not want to waste time and money on fixing the wrong thing (ask me how I know :bang:). If you do not have a shop, I recommend avoiding chains or big, well established ones. The small garage that has been around a while will take more time in educating/working with you, and you can gain trust/rapport with them. Plus, they have more experience with the older rigs (usually).

My biggest piece of advice as a new 3FE owner is to watch your temp gauge like a hawk, do a radiator flush and pressure test your cooling system.

Welcome, and congrats. How often does the puddle appear, i.e. rate of loss? What color and smell?

Remember, in a 3FE the oil filter is upside down on the top of the engine. Every time an oil change is performed, engine oil leaks all over the place. My rig has a fresh oil smell every time I drive it, the undercarriage is a complete mess, and sometimes I see one or two drops underneath.

Don't tear your hair out just yet, you will be fixing this and that for a long time as you bring it up to speed (though it sounds like you found a well maintained rig). These vehicles were built with very good durability and with the utmost integrity of Toyota technicians. Keep a close eye on the main 5 for the first 6 months (or always ;)) including engine, transmission, front and rear diff, and transfer. The problem should manifest sooner or later.

If the fluid is literally dripping out, just take it to a mechanic for piece of mind, you just got it! You do not want to waste time and money on fixing the wrong thing (ask me how I know :bang:). If you do not have a shop, I recommend avoiding chains or big, well established ones. The small garage that has been around a while will take more time in educating/working with you, and you can gain trust/rapport with them. Plus, they have more experience with the older rigs (usually).

My biggest piece of advice as a new 3FE owner is to watch your temp gauge like a hawk, do a radiator flush and pressure test your cooling system.
Thanks for the great information. Tightening down the oil pan (hopefully not too tight) has significantly slowed down the leak it seems. Cleaned up under there a bit, too.
Going to get a diagnoses on the leak now that it's cleaner down there. That way I know exactly where to start. Hoping valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, or oil pan arch. Sounds like worst case scenario would be rear main seal. So, hoping it's not that.

Also, it seems like I am only getting a few drips every 6 hours, or so, now that I've tightened the oil pan. Color is that of fairly clean motor oil. All my fluids have stayed nice, clean and full.

valve cover gasket is probably the easiest out of the 3 mentioned. You should be able to tackle that in an hour, and on the 3FE, it is very straight forward, 3 bolts on the top, and removing intake tube to TB. Make sure you also replace the PVC and all the grommets on the bolts as well. Mine is also leaking at the same area you mentioned above, a few drops after shutting down engine. I know it is the arch pan seal as i have replaced rear main prior and valve cover. I have also tighten up all the oil pan bolts and yield very little improvement. Also switching to a thicker grade oil helps, i ran 20W-50 and it seems to slow down the leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom