New Owner of a 1995 KZJ78 1KZ-TE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Intro Thread Post!

Finally the owner of a Black 1995 Prado here in Okinawa, Japan. Vehicle was shipped from mainland JP with 206,000 km, 33in. Dueler M/Ts and a near perfect condition interior. I would like to undertake a few projects somewhat in this order:

1. Rust proofing/coating the undercarriage
  2. Spot waxing scratches, good shape otherwise
  3. Audio system rebuild, speaker cut-outs, under seat subwoofer
  4. Dobinson's 2.5 inch. lift
  5. Chrome grille insert
  6. Possible rust cut outs of common Land Cruiser rust areas (bubbling paint at rear panels and between running board and rear doors)
  7. HID lighting (have ballasts, need bulbs)
  8. H/Ts or A/Ts for return to highway driving in the states next year
  9. Roof rack
  10. LED rack on roof rack
  11. Possible snorkeling
If any of you have any tips or recommendations, especially in the rust cut out and Dobinson's lift area, I would appreciate the feedback! Thank you!

7FBA79E0-A3F0-4EE3-B8C2-89BA5672D50D.JPG

IMG_2079 (1).jpg

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

Looks great!,
my 1995 RJ70, which has a 1KZTE swap matted with a MT on the engine, it is very good, the first recommendation I could give you is to check the condition of the fan clutch hub (viscosity of silicone oil, the more it goes the better, 10000 cst and it will work perfect)
Everything is to keep the temperature at bay, you have to be careful with the toyota turbo diesel that are indirect injection (temperature, head, etc...EGT...), (like the 2LT and the 1KZ), and more if it is automatic add a radiator for the ATF of the AT box, it would be opportune

honestly these do not seem to rust unless they are used for launching boats, or you live near the sea,there is a few of these in New Zealand and most are mint/no rust examples that come up for sale for around $10,000NZD , only hammered rusty ones are really sold as bush trucks.
The only rust I found on mine is behind the rear tail lights and it was really minor, just a small hole in each side, I wouldn't go rust proofing the bottom either, I just use CRC matt black Zinc It spray paint, really durable, goes on thin so doesn't look like you are trying to hide rust,looks identical to the factory black paint and you can wire brush it off easily if repairs are needed and its cheap, I even sprayed my exhaust pipe with the stuff and it doesn't flake off,I sprayed all my towbar hitch and everything its really good stuff

not sure on availability overseas but should be something similar you can buy

Welcome. I assume you have a KZJ78? Recommend a few things: if it doesn't have, get an EGT sensor and guage so you can keep an eye on temp. Mine also has an EGR delete. PO did alot of great work and at almost 30 years old it's a daily driver. I will link his build thread here to give you some more ideas.

honestly these do not seem to rust unless they are used for launching boats, or you live near the sea,there is a few of these in New Zealand and most are mint/no rust examples that come up for sale for around $10,000NZD , only hammered rusty ones are really sold as bush trucks.
The only rust I found on mine is behind the rear tail lights and it was really minor, just a small hole in each side, I wouldn't go rust proofing the bottom either, I just use CRC matt black Zinc It spray paint, really durable, goes on thin so doesn't look like you are trying to hide rust,looks identical to the factory black paint and you can wire brush it off easily if repairs are needed and its cheap, I even sprayed my exhaust pipe with the stuff and it doesn't flake off,I sprayed all my towbar hitch and everything its really good stuff

not sure on availability overseas but should be something similar you can buy

Willy, Okinawa IS an island And the good LostLTinJP more-than-likely lives near the ocean, let alone works a stone’s throw away from it 😜. Almost all of the vehicles that have been here a while have bad rust issues. LT is spot on to list rust prevention on top of his priority list.

4F5B0017-2132-4F53-88E5-8733AC72E434.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! I’m in Oki too. I’ve had my ‘94 prado for 3 years now. Bought it with zero rust and now I’m finding small spots that I need to take care of ASAP. I’d say do what you can but some rust is just inevitable...

Nice! I’d like to get together and have a meet with all the other SOFA/Non-SOFA Cruiser owners on island TO “network” and maybe do some trips around the island?
I'm new to the Forum but would really like to meet up. I'm waiting on my cruiser purchase to be complete. If you have any information on where I can find running boards or rock sliders, as mine doesn't have any that would be awesome.

I'm new to the Forum but would really like to meet up. I'm waiting on my cruiser purchase to be complete. If you have any information on where I can find running boards or rock sliders, as mine doesn't have any that would be awesome.

I'd like to find a source for these too! Let us know what you find. I'd like bolt on ones; as welding to the frame is NOT a good idea.

I'd like to find a source for these too! Let us know what you find. I'd like bolt on ones; as welding to the frame is NOT a good idea.
It all depends on whether you want new, used, OEM or after market. New OEM parts can be found on Megazip.net using your make, model and year of your vehicle. Are usually use this site to get OEM part numbers and then go to the local well-known parts stores and see if they can order. The longest I’ve waited for OEM parts it’s two weeks because they come from the mainland. Nakamura Part shop in Miazato, Route 85 going east and Toguchi Part Shop near Kadena Circle on Route 58 is where I’d go. You can even try the Toyota Parts Store on HWY 329 in Okinawa City. I’ve purchased seals and my transmission filter from them.
Then there’s Yahoo Auction, Croober.com, Mercari and Jimoty (あんしん決済機能の取引の流れ|中古あげます・譲ります/無料広告・無料掲載のジモティー フリマ/掲示板) sites online where you’ll find mostly used parts but some new and aftermarket parts, I’ve used Yahoo Auction bia Folks that have an account through them and shipping can be through the roof especially for large items. Oh, then there’s Upgarage in Gushikawa, mostly used parts that are sometimes there but can also get parts by using Croober ( Croooober Japan: Online Marketplace for Used JDM Wheels & Auto Parts) to have them delivered from mainland Upgarage shops to the ones on island ( sometimes for free, sometimes not).
A lot of information but if you’re diliigent, you’ll find what you want/need most of the time.
Good luck! If you’d like to meet up, shoot me an email or message via my profile and we’ll talk more!

FDCDEF02-B0EE-42E9-9E51-61CC120C3CCF.jpeg

811684EA-87C7-4ED2-BEF3-6AE93AE69668.jpeg

D7E09E29-E731-4450-9D7F-A39FA6011295.jpeg

It all depends on whether you want new, used, OEM or after market. New OEM parts can be found on Megazip.net using your make, model and year of your vehicle. Are usually use this site to get OEM part numbers and then go to the local well-known parts stores and see if they can order. The longest I’ve waited for OEM parts it’s two weeks because they come from the mainland. Nakamura Part shop in Miazato, Route 85 going east and Toguchi Part Shop near Kadena Circle on Route 58 is where I’d go. You can even try the Toyota Parts Store on HWY 329 in Okinawa City. I’ve purchased seals and my transmission filter from them.
Then there’s Yahoo Auction, Croober.com, Mercari and Jimoty (あんしん決済機能の取引の流れ|中古あげます・譲ります/無料広告・無料掲載のジモティー フリマ/掲示板) sites online where you’ll find mostly used parts but some new and aftermarket parts, I’ve used Yahoo Auction bia Folks that have an account through them and shipping can be through the roof especially for large items. Oh, then there’s Upgarage in Gushikawa, mostly used parts that are sometimes there but can also get parts by using Croober ( Croooober Japan: Online Marketplace for Used JDM Wheels & Auto Parts) to have them delivered from mainland Upgarage shops to the ones on island ( sometimes for free, sometimes not).
A lot of information but if you’re diliigent, you’ll find what you want/need most of the time.
Good luck! If you’d like to meet up, shoot me an email or message via my profile and we’ll talk more!

Thanks for the info! I should clarify that I do have a couple sets of OEM running boards. It's aftermarket sliders I'm after. Thanks for the links!

View attachment 2517251

View attachment 2517253

View attachment 2517254

View attachment 2517251

View attachment 2517253

View attachment 2517254
Thanks for all of the information. I’ll start digging now lol. I also really want some rock sliders as well. I have a lot to learn about the LCs.

I just left Okinawa with my KZJ78W; now living in PNW. I lived in Sunabe, but luckily didn't have much trouble with rust. Given some time, I definitely would've done more prevention, but I got away easy. Are you new to the island or just to a KZJ78?

I just left Okinawa with my KZJ78W; now living in PNW. I lived in Sunabe, but luckily didn't have much trouble with rust. Given some time, I definitely would've done more prevention, but I got away easy. Are you new to the island or just to a KZJ78?
I've been here over 3 years. 6 total between assignments. I've been searching for a while for the "right" one and finally found it so I pulled the trigger. I don't have it in my possession due to already having 2 vehicles, so now I'm waiting on an exemption form and also for all the normal procedures with JCI etc you have to deal with in Okinawa.

Nice. Even though I just left, I already miss the Island; It really did become home to me.

Anyways, here's my Okinawa picture:

1607629146441.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom