New Owner - New Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - I've encountered a few more issues that I can't figure out with my 2004 LC.

1 - The rearview (center) mirror. The manual states that by holding down the auto button on the mirrow (with the little light being green) for 3+ seconds will enable the compass function on the mirror to display N, S, E or W. When I push and hold that button - the only thing that happens is the green light goes out. Am I doing this wrong?

2 - Center console rear cupholders. I understand that you push in on the face of the cupholder 'drawer' and then that whole drawer slides itself out (kind of like when you push down on the cover to the front console cupholders - and then that cover rotates up). But my rear cupholder unit doesn't want to funtion like that. You push it in and nothing happens. The entire 'drawer' seems to have no detent or spring engagement. You can slide it out by hand. And you can get it to stay closed (with some wiggling and effort). It normally wants to sit open by about an inch. Any thoughts on how to get it to work right?

Thank much - Mike
2ND ROW SEAT CUP HOLDERS.JPG
compass.JPG

I'd say both are broken in some way, bens 3d prints might have an alternative for your cup holder, or check the classifieds and see if you can find one to replace it with as well as the mirror. Good luck

I'd say both are broken in some way, bens 3d prints might have an alternative for your cup holder, or check the classifieds and see if you can find one to replace it with as well as the mirror. Good luck
Thanks Cosmo - FYI - it is a new 'drawer' insert with the cupholders in the bottom - that I had a service tech install into the rear of the console. The original one was not going in properly (I bought the car used) - so I bought the replacement 'drawer' not the whole console. Still the same issue.

You likely just need to take it apart and clean and grease it. It used a simple leaf spring and over center cam. It’s pretty simple once you get a look at it.

You likely just need to take it apart and clean and grease it. It used a simple leaf spring and over center cam. It’s pretty simple once you get a look at it.
Thanks Bisho - I'll do that - Mike

Hello - I've encountered a few more issues that I can't figure out with my 2004 LC.

1 - The rearview (center) mirror. The manual states that by holding down the auto button on the mirrow (with the little light being green) for 3+ seconds will enable the compass function on the mirror to display N, S, E or W. When I push and hold that button - the only thing that happens is the green light goes out. Am I doing this wrong?

2 - Center console rear cupholders. I understand that you push in on the face of the cupholder 'drawer' and then that whole drawer slides itself out (kind of like when you push down on the cover to the front console cupholders - and then that cover rotates up). But my rear cupholder unit doesn't want to funtion like that. You push it in and nothing happens. The entire 'drawer' seems to have no detent or spring engagement. You can slide it out by hand. And you can get it to stay closed (with some wiggling and effort). It normally wants to sit open by about an inch. Any thoughts on how to get it to work right?

Thank much - Mike
View attachment 2854665View attachment 2854666
I believe the North American cruisers with navigation system don’t have the rear view compass (because nav has it). Mines an ‘04 as well and don’t have that feature.

I believe the North American cruisers with navigation system don’t have the rear view compass (because nav has it). Mines an ‘04 as well and don’t have that feature.
Makes sense Couvi - thanks, Mike

Hi Bisho - I see the 2 leaf springs inside the console (the part that receives the drawer when it slides in). And I see the little c

Hi Bisho - I see the 2 leaf springs inside the console (the part that receives the drawer when it slides in). And I see the little cam (also inside) that pivots. I applied WD40 to that pivot piece. The drawer slides nice and easy. But it still does not 'catch' when pushed in. And it does not have that spring-out function when I push the drawer in slightly to get it to bounce out. I'm not sure - perhaps the 2 leaf springs need to be bent outward more? Or is there supposed to be a spring on that pivoting piece? I think that there is a simple fix here - I just cannot see what to do. Mike

Hi Bisho - I see the 2 leaf springs inside the console (the part that receives the drawer when it slides in). And I see the little cam (also inside) that pivots. I applied WD40 to that pivot piece. The drawer slides nice and easy. But it still does not 'catch' when pushed in. And it does not have that spring-out function when I push the drawer in slightly to get it to bounce out. I'm not sure - perhaps the 2 leaf springs need to be bent outward more? Or is there supposed to be a spring on that pivoting piece? I think that there is a simple fix here - I just cannot see what to do. Mike
The leaf springs are what pushes it out. They may need some adjustments. Original WD-40 is really not a lubricant, it’s a water displacer. I would put some grease on the cam, but use some spray lube (dry silicone) on the arms. Probably worth disassembling the whole thing and cleaning it really good to get rid of friction.

The springs originally had a piece of felt wrapped around the ends to reduce friction. If that pealed back it might be getting in the way. It took a bit of fussing to get it to work well.

The leaf springs are what pushes it out. They may need some adjustments. Original WD-40 is really not a lubricant, it’s a water displacer. I would put some grease on the cam, but use some spray lube (dry silicone) on the arms. Probably worth disassembling the whole thing and cleaning it really good to get rid of friction.

The springs originally had a piece of felt wrapped around the ends to reduce friction. If that pealed back it might be getting in the way. It took a bit of fussing to get it to work well.
Hello Bisho - Please take a look at this picture. This is with the 'drawer' pulled forward and me holding the cupholders in their collapsed position so as to look into the area where those leaf springs are. Is this what the springs are supposed to look like? Are they bent from what they should be? Is something missing that I just don't know about? It seems like a simple setup. It just does not engage to keep the 'drawer' closed. As far as taking the thing apart - unfortunately, I am not that handy. I had a technician remove the existing one (that was missing the cupholder insert part), and install this new one. Thank you - Mike
Rear console cupholder spring.jpg

Hello - Please take a look at this picture of the cupholder 'drawer' in the back of the center console. This is with the 'drawer' pulled forward and me holding the cupholders in their collapsed position so as to look into the area where those leaf springs are. Is this what the springs are supposed to look like? Are they bent from what they should be? Is something missing that I just don't know about? It seems like a simple setup. It just does not engage to keep the 'drawer' closed. As far as taking the thing apart - unfortunately, I am not that handy. I had a technician remove the existing one (that was missing the cupholder insert part), and install this new one. The cupholder drawer is supposed to work by pushing it in - it stays closed -- and then pushing it in slightly and it springs open. Mine does not want to stay pushed in.
Rear console cupholder spring.jpg
Thank you - Mike

Hello Bisho - Please take a look at this picture. This is with the 'drawer' pulled forward and me holding the cupholders in their collapsed position so as to look into the area where those leaf springs are. Is this what the springs are supposed to look like? Are they bent from what they should be? Is something missing that I just don't know about? It seems like a simple setup. It just does not engage to keep the 'drawer' closed. As far as taking the thing apart - unfortunately, I am not that handy. I had a technician remove the existing one (that was missing the cupholder insert part), and install this new one. Thank you - MikeView attachment 2865828
Sorry, Mike. Really busy week at work.

My springs are within an 1/8” of the outer edge of the panel, so you may want to bend them out some.

C46D00CA-0C5D-4183-9E8C-EB6CB0D72F30.jpeg

On the bottom of the cup holder itself is the track the cam lobe follows to lock in place. It should have a bit of grease to make sure it tracks smoothly. The springs are important here, as they will hold it in the lock position, so you springs may indeed be the issue.

There are two 8 or 10 mm bolts inside the top of the opening. If you remove them, you can then pry the back of the console off and work on this on a table and see how everything works much easier.

5E003819-AE5B-41DA-ABDB-B04A44C3E006.jpeg

Thank you again Bisho. I'll check this out. Regarding the 2 leafsprings shown in my photo - do they look correct? Or are they bent back or otherwise out of position? Mike

Thank you again Bisho. I'll check this out. Regarding the 2 leafsprings shown in my photo - do they look correct? Or are they bent back or otherwise out of position? Mike
They are bent further back than mine. See picture above.

My rear cupholder was the same. I bought a new one from Toyota and you know what? It's still garbage.

They are bent further back than mine. See picture above.
I've been resetting the springs and no matter what I do - it is still the same problem. I've also used a dry bicycle chain lube on everything and that hasn't helped. Nuts.

It certainly helps to remove it. Then you can flip it over and watch everything work, clean up the arms, and figure out where it needs tweaking. It definitely took some futzing before I had mine in working order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom