New owner intro - ‘00 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I’m sure this won’t get much attention and intros can be extremely boring.
Anyway, picked up an LX470 out of OKC with 240k miles for $9,900. I can say this thing was in great condition when I bought it a few weeks ago. Some very slight exterior cosmetic issues, normal paint chip/wear. Interior is almost completely perfect, usual stains etc. but this thing looks amazing for being 20 years old.
Work already completed :
Made dealer replace driver CV before purchase, boot came off and spit grease everywhere.
Drained/refilled front and rear diffs and the transfer case.
Replaced alternator. Went ahead and drained the coolant while I was at it(lower hose had a slight leak), and also replaced the belt.
Also bought 275/70/18 ATs, and the stock steel wheels that have been powder coated off eBay, with hub centric 1” spacers.

I’ve done ALOT of reading on here before registering and I’ve made a list of things that I need to do:
-Consecutive drain/refill by quart tranny fluid.
-Moly grease driveline to reduce thunk.
-Replace one huh flange that’s causing a thud when shifting into Drive.
-Servo went out under dash, I verified heat and cool works great though.
-Boot came off inner tie rod, you can see the teeth on rack:pinion. Steering feels great so I may just replace the boot.

Things I want to do:
-Replace diff bushings, motor mounts, trans mount.
-Still need to fully inspect control arms, tie rod ends, ball joints etc.
-Steering wheel tilt/telescoping isn’t working.
-Memory seat buttons do not work.
-Replace head unit. I’ve got plenty of posts saved for this one. Hopefully it comes out great.
-Rear passenger wheel noise, slight clunk and squeak over bumps. I think it’s the ebrake but I still need to inspect.
-Modernize it with parking sensors, blind spot sensors, remote/push button start, front:rear cameras etc.
-Then move on to exterior..bumper replacements, rock sliders, coil overs when/if AHC fails.

But everything is strong. Very quiet tick so I may be replacing headers soon so we’ll see.
I have high hopes for this one. Didn’t notice any discoloration really or oil in the coolant, it looked almost new. Diff and transfer case fluids were black and nasty, but just a dust in the magnets, no big chips. Almost zero rust on the frame. Nothing in the oil. Shifts perfect. Starts up, idle sounds and feels great. No complaints at all.

I’ll get some pictures up in the morning and y’all can tell me if I think too highly of this or not.
Glad to be here! Y’all have made this forum into a life saver for me.

Couldn’t figure out how to edit the original post but my only complaint is how gutless it can be. It almost makes me want to throw $7k down on a supercharger, or gamble and drop the $1k eBay Phab turbo kit 😂

Couldn’t figure out how to edit the original post but my only complaint is how gutless it can be. It almost makes me want to throw $7k down on a supercharger, or gamble and drop the $1k eBay Phab turbo kit 😂

Also pining for a supercharger. If you go nuts and do the turbo route, keep us posted. Can't imagine that working out well or it would have caught on here though.

Also pining for a supercharger. If you go nuts and do the turbo route, keep us posted. Can't imagine that working out well or it would have caught on here though.
The turbo kits sounds scary. I see alot of bad stories online about them.
Here's the beauty:

IMG_0588.HEIC.jpg

IMG_0590.HEIC.jpg

IMG_0586.HEIC.jpg

IMG_0587.HEIC.jpg

IMG_0585.HEIC.jpg

I'll take gutless and reliable all day, these were never supposed to win stop light races. Just take pride in knowing that yours can go places theirs can't and that it'll most likely still be on the road years after theirs were sent to the crushers.

Good looking base though 👍

I'll take gutless and reliable all day, these were never supposed to win stop light races. Just take pride in knowing that yours can go places theirs can't and that it'll most likely still be on the road years after theirs were sent to the crushers.

Good looking base though 👍
Absolutely, I agree with you. I just said that because we're also using this as our family/travel vehicle and since I've had it I feel like I've came a little too close to a wreck from not being able to speed up fast enough haha.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I agree with you. I just said that because we're also using this our family/travel vehicle and since I've had it I feel like I've came a little too close to a wreck from not being able to speed up fast enough haha.

The supercharger seems like a great option as long as it's not costing us reliability, which may yet to be seen.

Just here to say I’ve completed a lot of the maintenance i pointed out in this post. BUT what I did not account for was the ignition cylinder breaking and I guess I’m a part of the key spinning club? 😂

The key cylinder is fun, isn't it? Not too terrible to repair though. Just stopped by to say you got a smoking deal. And way less than my initial purchase and I am still fixing what was "already done". I hope to drive it regularly one day soon. Super jealous of your sweet ride! Even if it's "old man tan" Haha, I hope it remains awesome and you get your supercharger gutless remedy completed soon enough. Welcome aboard!

Congratulations!! She is pretty!

I do not know how the shop who rebuild the transmission of my LC made it to fly! I now have to be careful when pressing the gas as it can take off 10 times faster than it used to be.

The key cylinder is fun, isn't it? Not too terrible to repair though. Just stopped by to say you got a smoking deal. And way less than my initial purchase and I am still fixing what was "already done". I hope to drive it regularly one day soon. Super jealous of your sweet ride! Even if it's "old man tan" Haha, I hope it remains awesome and you get your supercharger gutless remedy completed soon enough. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for posting that video! We’re going to work on it today and thats going to be a lot of help.
I also appreciate your words man, it definitely got me motivated after all of this going on.

Thank you for posting that video! We’re going to work on it today and thats going to be a lot of help.
I also appreciate your words man, it definitely got me motivated after all of this going on.
Happy to help! I have found this place extremely helpful in that regard. Need anything else please reach out.

Just a quick update. So this happened while my wife was driving it about two hours away from home. Her and her friends were heading for a bachelorette party, and me and my friends were 2 hours in the opposite direction from home.
They got in touch with some mechanic who ended up pushing the broken piece out of the back of the assembly, and lodged itself in the barrel. While he was trying to get the ignition switch thing off the back of it to start it.
Needless to say we had to drive down, wedged a screw driver inside of the barrel to hold back the wheel lock and I got the car home.
But now had to remove the steering wheel, drop the column down and finally got the piece unwedged and out of the barrel. Buying the rod off of ebay as its only $100 for a legitimate Toyota part, there are cheaper ones but I don’t trust them and I don’t want to drop $300 for the entire assembly.
Thank you all!

Just a quick update. So this happened while my wife was driving it about two hours away from home. Her and her friends were heading for a bachelorette party, and me and my friends were 2 hours in the opposite direction from home.
They got in touch with some mechanic who ended up pushing the broken piece out of the back of the assembly, and lodged itself in the barrel. While he was trying to get the ignition switch thing off the back of it to start it.
Needless to say we had to drive down, wedged a screw driver inside of the barrel to hold back the wheel lock and I got the car home.
But now had to remove the steering wheel, drop the column down and finally got the piece unwedged and out of the barrel. Buying the rod off of ebay as its only $100 for a legitimate Toyota part, there are cheaper ones but I don’t trust them and I don’t want to drop $300 for the entire assembly.
Thank you all!
Whoa! Hold up! You can almost buy the entire OEM assembly for what you are about to spend on the rod from eBay. Matter of fact there are rods on eBay for around $20. Check around and save a few bucks. This is the one I purchased. It was indeed OEM. Came from Dubai in about 5 days. To my door on a Sunday evening.

Well I can cross off and add things to the list.
I replaced the bearings and all the seals/washer with it. And also the flange which greatly reduced the clunk.
Then started greasing the zerks. Didn’t wipe all the grease off in the rear and had it sling EVERYWHERE 😂
Now I see two other issues. The hoses on the steering fluid reservoir are leaking, and it also seems as if the brake line on the rubber side is leaking. But I can’t make it out of the fluid instead is coming from the power steering hose leak…

Figured I’d post an update. Got all the maintenance done and it’s running amazing. Put some 33” tires and bought some of those powder coated wheels off of eBay.
F48C1B5D-A577-49C8-A3D0-D20C641320A6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom