New Owner Hilux Surf 2L-TII Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are the manuals for your engine. The first is the main manual, the second is the supplement which includes stuff specific to the turbo version. Took me a long time to find these, and they are gold!

RM520E (Main for 2L, 3L & 5L engines)
http://forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14135&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa

RM582E (Supplement for 2L, 2L-T, 3L and 5L engines)
http://forum.h4k.no/download/file.php?id=14134&sid=f426b91359e5825fb43df98b70107dfa

Thank you SO much. I'm going to pay to have these printed off and bound. Literally worth their weight in gold. Awesome.

Got the Surf running. Put the new (WIX - made in China now though? WTH?) fuel filter on, filled to the brim with diesel. And BOY, were you guys right about the amount of pumping. Took forever to prime the system. Rolled it over, seems to be running great. Time will tell.

Anyway, was driving home through town and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Thoughts? The warning lights are all on. Vital statistics seem good, voltmeter is sitting about 1/3 between half and the full, where I believe it normally sits. We had run the battery fairly low when turning it over trying to get it to run but I didn't think we ran it that low! Seems to flash right up.

Check ground connections and brushes on alternator.
Had the same symptoms once, and alternator was going bad.
Swapped in a good used and issue went away, rebuilt my old one and it worked fine afterwards.

Check alternator output.

Update - it was the alternator. Voltage regulator was bad according to my local auto electric shop, so they replaced that. Had to order one in from Toronto (mine is the internal regulator). Did a full A/C delete while I was in there taking the alternator off, as it didn't work anyway and the hamfisted individual who owned it before me cross-threaded a couple of the bolts on the compressor. Installed two fully charged batteries and seemed to be good to go. Next day drove 5 hours away to college in the pouring rain and noticed about halfway there that the truck wasn't charging :eek:. Brought it to an auto electric place here, turns out that the place that reconditioned it and put the voltage regulator in neglected to replace the obviously worn-out brushes, but also neglected to put the ground screw back in the voltage regulator, so it likely wasn't charging in the first place. In any case, new brushes and new voltage regulator (with the ground reinstalled), back up and running again. $400 total to fix an alternator though, wasn't too happy about that.

Put a set of OEM alloys from an SR5 4Runner and some new 31x10.50R15 ATs, and it needed a muffler and tailpipe for inspection, so I decided to go with a custom 2.5" from the flexpipe back with a Magnaflow muffler :D. Just a touch throatier, however quite a power increase (pretty much back up to where it was when I got it with the 215/80R15s). Replaced a ripped intake hose and a naaasssssty looking air filter. All this done, my last tank, on the highway at 100-110km/h, loaded down with my stuff, got 34mpg :smokin:

Thanks everyone for the input!

Now need an alignment (and the steering is slopppy), put in the new glow plugs, and install my gauges which came in the mail (just EGT and Water Temp for now, both GlowShift). There's a machine shop here, so I'm hoping to be able to fab/get fabbed some block-off plates for the EGR. Would like to get that throttle plate out too, as the truck is lacking on low end power and spinning those 31 inch ATs from a stop sucks, especially off-road (I pretty much have to stay in Low Range 4WD to not merk my clutch). Is it a hard job?

Glad you are getting it all sorted out!

Removing the throttle plate is not that bad of a job. You might want to do a bit of research, and make sure it is fine to do this on the 2LT-II. I'm not that familiar with the fuel system on that engine, and would not want it to throw out your injection pump. Not sure if it needs manifold vacuum or anything like that... Anyhow, on the 2LTE it is a huge improvement. Way more torque off the line, and so nice to get rid of those emissions vacuum actuators and vacuum lines etc. You can just tuck the electrical plugs out of sight and it really cleans things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom