New owner here with plenty of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello ,
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to view my questionnaire. I wanna apologize in advance for my poor spelling
Recently I purchased 85 fj40 that was imported from South America and its in need of some serious work. My main focus is on the drivetrain refurbishment.Ideally I would like to rebuild the original engine and 5 speed transmission, however im out of ideas who actually does good machine work on those engines in Chicago land.The original block is finw but crankshaft and camshafts are in poor condition and will require immediate attention.Thanks in advance

Welcome !.

Pics never hurt

Maybe it's a more economical solution to look for a good used 2F engine

I rather rebuild the original motor then purchase unknown used engine. Im full time diesel mechanic and i have the tool and know how to redo the motor. The machine shops i work with when we rebuild diesel motors don’t work with small engines. I even spoke with a well known shop that does alot of toyota motors but the guy have never even heard of 2f engine. And this guys build race 2jz’s

7EA9AC2F-67AC-4EC4-9570-2AA768706336.jpeg

9FB793E2-6E70-4F93-8062-053D46878D92.jpeg

This is a good looking but very botched up truck. I got it as a non runner and only “god” knows when this thing last run.There is evidence of poor workmanship all over the truck and especially in the drivetrain.Engine had some poor work done and either as a result of wrong freeze plug or water instead of coolant one feel off and as result coolant/water goes in the crankcase.Engine had heavy leaks from rear main seal ans oil pan.So before i even try to start the engine i did remove the oil pan to inspect bearings and make a list of replacement parts needed to start the rebuild .Crankshaft is worn on the main bearings and camshaft have some wear indicating high engine miles.As of today motor is completely disassembled and all bolts labeled .I do believe engine is rebuildable but i dont know a good machine shop that is familiar with 2f and their weaknesses to properly inspect the block and head before I start spending money for replacement engine parts.

There is evidence of poor workmanship all over the truck

Unfortunately, this is an all too common experience with many of these trucks that come from South America.

Good luck with your rebuild. In a city the size of Chicago, there must be some machine shop that knows these motors, but I wouldn't know who they are.

Would be curious if the five speed is original to the vehicle. Most 40 series five speeds were mated to a 3B four cylinder diesel. The FJ40 fairly rare. Even the BJ42s from South America and Central America were H41 four speeds. Do you have a picture of the transmission tunnel inside the cab?

Advantage of the current 2F it won't be loaded with emissions that need to be removed. The 2F is a fairly simple engine if it doesn't have all the 70s/80s US emissions.

Its very likely this is not the original transmission to the truck. Engine however is the original as number stamped on the block matches the number stamped on the vin tag.There is no emissions on the engine and there never was . I can take some photos of the transmission tunnel when i go home . Is there a id tag somewhere on the transmission ?

if the block froze, it may be cracked, so it very well could be a boat anchor
I would suggest a rebuildable block or short block assembly, then use all your bolt on stuff onto the "new" block, not all 2F blocks are the same, you would want a 1979+ at the least
there should be a tag on the firewall with all the coding on it, it should be above the starter just below the hood. the tag will say what trans it originally came with along with some other items

I doubt the block is cracked but I could be wrong. At the end of the day if the block is not salvageable I would probably go 4.3 or 5.7 gm. I see no reason to purchase another 2f engine to rebuild if its not the original to the truck. Will be posting vin tag and transmission tunel photos when i go home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom