New Owner, Help Please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I just bought a 79 BJ. Right off the boat from Japan. The problem is I don't read Japanese.
Can you guys please help me with some of these questions?
How does the PTO winch work?
Also, the yoke is spinning on the winch shaft. Is there a shear pin or some other pin that keeps it from spinning?
What does the "F" switch on the dash? The light comes on when you engage 4x4 but you can also pull out the button and the light comes on.
The transfer case only has three positions "2H- N- 4L"
Is this the way all Cruisers operate or is this a Japanese version? (Meaning no 4H).
Finally, I want to change all the fluids and filters ASAP.
Is there a list for which filters can be used and the right fluids?
I've already ordered a service manual but your help is most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Peter

search function will help you out.

Peter,

Most if not all of your questions may be answered by using the search function. Always check there first and post up what you can not find. It is a great tool.

The F switch on the dash actuates the vacuum operated shift fork that engages the transfercase front output shaft(To the front driveshaft). If you have the shifter in 2H and pull the F switch you are in 4H. When you put the shifter into 4L there is a switch that will will automatically engage the front output shaft. There is a separate switch that turns the light on on the F switch or FD switch in later models. If you want a 2L you can find the wires going to the 4L switch and dissconnect them so the front output shaft is only engaged when you pull the F switch. 2L is nice for towing since my 2B doesn't have much power. As for the winch there is a shear pin (WHere the shaft meets the winch) check to see if the shaft going into the winch is spinning too. IF both are spinning you need to engage the winch itself by the lever on the left side.
Welcome to the forum and post some pics:mad:

Thank you for the replies. I tried the search function but I didn't find what I was looking for. It's probably there somewhere but I was getting antsy with the new rig and all.
I tried pulling just the button with the rig up in the air and only the rear wheels turned.
Also, on the winch/pto. What is the sequence for making it work? Do the transfer case need to be in neutral? Does the tranny need to be in gear?
Thanks again.

PeterC said:
I tried the search function but I didn't find what I was looking for. It's probably there somewhere but I was getting antsy with the new rig and all.

We all know that feeling - it is a Land Cruiser after all :D welcome

hope this helps
Toyota PTO winch rated capacity.... - Land Cruiser Forum ~ IH8MUD.com.jpg

BJ-44 said:
The F switch on the dash actuates the vacuum operated shift fork that engages the transfercase front output shaft(To the front driveshaft). If you have the shifter in 2H and pull the F switch you are in 4H. When you put the shifter into 4L there is a switch that will will automatically engage the front output shaft. There is a separate switch that turns the light on on the F switch or FD switch in later models. If you want a 2L you can find the wires going to the 4L switch and dissconnect them so the front output shaft is only engaged when you pull the F switch. 2L is nice for towing since my 2B doesn't have much power. As for the winch there is a shear pin (WHere the shaft meets the winch) check to see if the shaft going into the winch is spinning too. IF both are spinning you need to engage the winch itself by the lever on the left side.
Welcome to the forum and post some pics:mad:

wait! so the the bjs have a vacuum operated shift fork for 4wd... ithought they were only found in the early fj40s.

okie said:
wait! so the the bjs have a vacuum operated shift fork for 4wd... ithought they were only found in the early fj40s.

they can be found on FJ-62's in the USA.....

HawkDriver said:
Welcome and you've come to the right place.

BTW phroggy, what in the :censor: is that avatard?
Hawk, Don't you know what it looks like when a woman has her hand on her mouse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom