New Owner for 2001 & 2003 Sequoia--His and Hers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Geolander tires are about 60% and the wheels I got for cheap, so they'll stay for a little bit. Don't like em eh? LOL I think the stock star wheel I took off are so dated. I am looking for TRD black wheels. As soon as I find some that aren't major money, I'll get those. Tires will either be BFG or Cooper All terrians of some sort. I haven't shopped real heavy for those yet because I am getting all the mechanicals lined out.

Yeah, I have had and worked on 7.3s for the last 2 decades. I just sold mine this past Monday because we sold our toyhauler and no longer have stock trailers, so there was no point and diesel is way over rated these days. It lost the two things that made it desirable....price and mileage. I have had both OBS and Superduties. I wouldn't go back to OBS. They are a PITA to work on and are getting too dated. They look cool and are tough, but the SDs ride better, have better brakes, and are much bette engineered to work on as far as turbo, brakes, cooling....just about everything.

The new BB gas engines are giving diesels a run for their money. They are getting better mpg and tow heavy weight very well. I don't see a reason to ever own a diesel again.

I don’t “hate” the wheels that you got, and the starfish wheels that some of these came with are hideous. I had them on our ‘01 Tacoma. Fine in the era, but as you said, dated now. I did put a set of the “twin star” wheels on my 4Runner, but it is an ‘89 so they looked new on it!

I sold my last HD truck in August. Don’t have a truck camper anymore, and the heaviest trailer I tow is about 7,000 which my ‘19 Tundra can handle. Mostly I’m towing around 3,500-4,500 and it’s easy as pie. I’m a fan of the ST Maxxs as well as BFG ATs. On these Toyota trucks, BFG would likely get the nod. I’ve got Falken ATs on the Sequoia which are “meh” on a good day, and Toyo ATIIs on the Tundra. They are tough, but traction is average at best.

I don’t “hate” the wheels that you got, and the starfish wheels that some of these came with are hideous. I had them on our ‘01 Tacoma. Fine in the era, but as you said, dated now. I did put a set of the “twin star” wheels on my 4Runner, but it is an ‘89 so they looked new on it!

I sold my last HD truck in August. Don’t have a truck camper anymore, and the heaviest trailer I tow is about 7,000 which my ‘19 Tundra can handle. Mostly I’m towing around 3,500-4,500 and it’s easy as pie. I’m a fan of the ST Maxxs as well as BFG ATs. On these Toyota trucks, BFG would likely get the nod. I’ve got Falken ATs on the Sequoia which are “meh” on a good day, and Toyo ATIIs on the Tundra. They are tough, but traction is average at best.
Yeah, some of these wheels are terrible. I took off the 5 star whatevers and gave them away. I like the limited version. I have looked for those or TRD black wheels. People want stupid money for them.

Yeah, when I do get another truck, I'll get a Tundra. I am done with chitty American vehicles. They all drive nice when new. I want to see them at 200k miles.

I bought these newer (2011?) Sequoia wheels for $65 for all 4! A quick squirt of $9 charcoal wheel paint and I ran them on the Tundra this summer. I love a 5 spoke if it’s the “right” one. I have some black Fuel wheels now that I bought used with 80% Toyos on them. I wanted 17s, but you can really only find 18s and 20s in the new bolt pattern. I’d still be running the $65 wheels but needed spacers to avoid rub with 35s, and I like 35s on the Tundra.
457A627E-B625-4BDD-A9B9-2AD0E7F4A29C.png

Oh, and the 5.7 Tundras are beasts. I would consider them almost equivalent to a 2500 diesel, since you don’t get much payload with either one, but both are tow machines.

I bought these newer (2011?) Sequoia wheels for $65 for all 4! A quick squirt of $9 charcoal wheel paint and I ran them on the Tundra this summer. I love a 5 spoke if it’s the “right” one. I have some black Fuel wheels now that I bought used with 80% Toyos on them. I wanted 17s, but you can really only find 18s and 20s in the new bolt pattern. I’d still be running the $65 wheels but needed spacers to avoid rub with 35s, and I like 35s on the Tundra.View attachment 3188268
Do you still have these? Those would look great.

Loved my 02’ when I had it!
My rear hatch window wouldn't work when I bought it and all I could hear was crunching sounds. I ended up having to replace both rails on the side and get a new piece of glass because everything was rusted out. The bottom of the hatch door was full of metal pieces and rust!! I also did an Amazon metal handle.
Make sure to do several drain and fills on the transmission. This was mine at 156k miles when I bought it. I did 5 drain and fills........quite a difference!
You're lucky with the 1st Gen Sequoia, all you have to do is drain the fluid from the pan into a graduated container and put the exact same amount back through the dipstick.......2nd Gens don't have a dipstick. :(

food.jpg

5 drain.jpg

8529E859-30D8-44C2-9A4C-2F1F4B394794.jpeg

top drain.jpg

8529E859-30D8-44C2-9A4C-2F1F4B394794.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah the trans has yet to be addressed. I am always afraid to touch it for fear of causing an issue. I always wondered if it's just a myth about the fluid exchange.

Yeah the trans has yet to be addressed. I am always afraid to touch it for fear of causing an issue. I always wondered if it's just a myth about the fluid exchange.
Yeah, I dunno about an exchange.......expensive and may or may not stir something up and cause problems. Drain and fills are cheap and really just take all the fluid out of the pan. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is about $24 for a gallon............for me, just under 4 quarts came out per drain. I drove a few miles in between drains so all the old fluid gets out of the torque converter and the new fluid gets incorporated throughout the tranny.

Yeah, I dunno about an exchange.......expensive and may or may not stir something up and cause problems. Drain and fills are cheap and really just take all the fluid out of the pan. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is about $24 for a gallon............for me, just under 4 quarts came out per drain. I drove a few miles in between drains so all the old fluid gets out of the torque converter and the new fluid gets incorporated throughout the tranny.
My bad...I mean just draining and filling with new fluid, not one of those machine processes. But yeah, I will ad d this to the list for this week. It looks good on the dipstick, but I am guessing it's in need of a change.

Question....what fluid are you guys using for the transfer case?

My bad...I mean just draining and filling with new fluid, not one of those machine processes. But yeah, I will ad d this to the list for this week. It looks good on the dipstick, but I am guessing it's in need of a change.

Question....what fluid are you guys using for the transfer case?
Mobil1 75w-90

Do you still have these? Those would look great.
I do, still with 35” Toyos on them, and I would sell them to you, but being as I’m north of Spokane Wa, and you are in Tejas, I think it might be problematic…

I do, still with 35” Toyos on them, and I would sell them to you, but being as I’m north of Spokane Wa, and you are in Tejas, I think it might be problematic…
Dangit....well, if you ever in Tejas LOL. I'll bet those looked good on the Sequoia. My problem is that there are so many Toyota rims for sale, but I have no good idea what looks good and what doesn't. They look good off the truck, sure....but on the truck?

I’ll roll a pair of them beside my Sequoia at some point soon and snap a pic for you. I’m sure there are tons of them on your local Craigslist for dirt cheap. They are off a 2011 Sequoia.

Looks like I am picking up a 2003 Limited for the wife this afternoon if it all checks out. One owner, 2wd unfortunately.....but I figure we have a 4wd and it's less for me to maintain. Timing belt needs done. It's been done once, but it's due. I might do it myself this time or go to a Toyota mechanic. No more dealer BS. They did a suck job anyways, warranty or not. I'll post up some photos or start another thread.

Last edited:
Nice! I did the timing belt/water pump/pulleys on my 02'. Get the Aisin kit of Rockauto or Amazon. Not a bad job depending on your mechanical ability. I basically followed a Youtube video while I did it but I had a service manual for back up/torque specs.

Nice! I did the timing belt/water pump/pulleys on my 02'. Get the Aisin kit of Rockauto or Amazon. Not a bad job depending on your mechanical ability. I basically followed a Youtube video while I did it but I had a service manual for back up/torque specs.
Appreciate it. I have a good amount of ability. I usually do all my own stuff, repaired ranch trucks, worked as a diesel tech on drill rigs, etc. I figure I can handle it. Its just time that eludes me these days. I'll report back.

Wow. Double Trouble! (Being from Texas I’m sure you appreciate the SRV reference). What are the two buttons on the right side of console? Seat heaters? Mine is a California truck and doesn’t have heated seats or mirrors, which frankly sucks here in the north.

Wow. Double Trouble! (Being from Texas I’m sure you appreciate the SRV reference). What are the two buttons on the right side of console? Seat heaters? Mine is a California truck and doesn’t have heated seats or mirrors, which frankly sucks here in the north.
Ha! Yeah it has seat and mirror heaters. Man it drives NICE and has plenty of power. Just got it home a bit ago. He handed me a 3 inch thick folder of every service it has had since new , 4 keys, and 2 FOBs. This guy was major OCD about everything. The only thing it needs is an oil change and timing belt. Brakes are new, tires are new, all emissions are done, and even all interior door handles were replaced last month. I think I found a really good one for the wife to run kids around and do her thing. She is STOKED.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom