New owner and already screeching Master Cylinder :( (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well guys I've owned my new LX for 2 days now: New owner - '00 LX and build thread

and already heard just about the worst sound possible. I hadn't driven the car all day and was going to take it to the gym. It's probably 45 degrees or so outside. I go to turn on the car, starts fine but then the sound of someone strangling a seagull from behind the dash.

Shortly after, all the warning lights came on: ABS, VSC etc. with a constant loud beep/alarm that won't go off. Weirdly enough, the brake pedal felt fine.

I tried disconnecting the battery, but it didn't help. The issue came right back.

I've been poking around and it looks like the hideously expensive Brake Master Cylinder / Accumulator / Actuator is acting up.

My only possible saving grace here is that the previous owner had it serviced meticulously at the same Lexus dealer. I signed into Lexus Drivers service history, and the most recent service history was at 209k miles in June 2017 (I have 214k miles now). Here's what it says in the service:

"CUSTOMER STATES THEY HAVE A LARGE BRAKE FLUID LEAK. YESTERDAY BRAKE LIGHT CAME ON AND FLUID WAS FOUND VERY LOW. CUSTOMER ADDED FLUID AND NOTED AN PUDDLE ON DRIVEWAY. INSPECT AND ADVISE. ~|~ ~|~209146 FOUND BRAKE ACTUATOR TO HAVE LARGE HOLE ON BOTTOM ON THE CUP SEAL RECOMMEND BRAKE ACTUATOR AND FLUSH AND RECHECK"

It cuts off there so I plan to call the dealership that did the work tomorrow and get more detail. I can't quite tell, but it sounds like they replaced the unit already?

Does anyone know if that part would still be under warranty if it was 6/21/17? Even though the car has changed owners?

I really hope so... What a day ruiner :frown:

Don’t feel down, very few things go bad on these rigs. Mine went out at about 250k, unfortunately it’s one of the more expensive parts but overall I’m certain you’ll be happy with it.

I would have a conversation with the guy you bought the truck from. he/she sold you a truck with a huge brake issue, and didn't disclose it during sale. I would take it back, and tell them to make it right.

I would have a conversation with the guy you bought the truck from. he/she sold you a truck with a huge brake issue, and didn't disclose it during sale. I would take it back, and tell them to make it right.

Well that's what's strange. I have driven it 300 miles since purchase and there's been no sign of this. The brakes have felt awesome.

I was poking around and it looks to me like the actual master cylinder is very new, but the big gold cylinder and the little black cylinder (accumulator and electric pump?) Are not. Is there a chance the dealer only replaced the MC?

Hi Riffman-I have a used brake booster with accumulator. It was working when I pulled it off. I will make you a great deal on it if you want to go this route. It is just taking up room in my garage. Other option would be replace with a new one for around $900, get a rebuilt one for around $500, or have yours rebuilt for around $350.

I also have a used master cylinder as well for sale.

PM me if I can help you.

Hi Riffman-I have a used brake booster with accumulator. It was working when I pulled it off. I will make you a great deal on it if you want to go this route. It is just taking up room in my garage. Other option would be replace with a new one for around $900, get a rebuilt one for around $500, or have yours rebuilt for around $350.

I also have a used master cylinder as well for sale.

PM me if I can help you.

Thanks a lot for the offer, man. I think first I'm going to have my local Toyota mechanic diagnose it and make sure it is actually the booster.

Then I need to check with Lexus what was actually replaced in that piece I mentioned above. I have to go there in person and show that I'm the new registered owner before they tell me anything.

If the master cylinder has been replaced, then I can at least narrow it down to the 2 other components and will let you know

Anyone got any further insight on what it might be? Does this sound like the symptoms of a bad booster motor? The brake pedal still feels fine. Not going to the floor or anything, I'm just scared to drive it in case I lose my brakes.

Thanks a lot for the offer, man. I think first I'm going to have my local Toyota mechanic diagnose it and make sure it is actually the booster.

Then I need to check with Lexus what was actually replaced in that piece I mentioned above. I have to go there in person and show that I'm the new registered owner before they tell me anything.

If the master cylinder has been replaced, then I can at least narrow it down to the 2 other components and will let you know

Anyone got any further insight on what it might be? Does this sound like the symptoms of a bad booster motor? The brake pedal still feels fine. Not going to the floor or anything, I'm just scared to drive it in case I lose my brakes.

@riffman12, this thread may help: ABS Booster Pump - Repair or Replace? Part Sources? Rebuild in DFW, TX

Thanks read through all of that.

A lot of guys seem to lose brake pressure when these parts wear out. However, my brakes still feel fine. Just some awful noises coming from the MC and all the warning lights :(

I'm tempted to just order a new booster and accumulator and install myself, just don't know if that's my issue or not.

Same thing happened to me. Brake fine, awful noises from the MC and all ABS, VSC lighted up. I had the booster rebuilt by the shop listed here for $250:
Source for rebuilt booster pump on master cylinder

Same thing happened to me. Brake fine, awful noises from the MC and all ABS, VSC lighted up. I had the booster rebuilt by the shop listed here for $250:
Source for rebuilt booster pump on master cylinder

Awesome that calms my nerves a bit!

I don't really have time to go have mine rebuilt, nor am I anywhere near the guy in Southern California.

Nor do I particularly want to pull the MC and bleed the system on my own.

So I'm torn between buying a rebuilt unit like this:

98-07 LEXUS LX470 Toyota LAND CRUISER ABS pump/accumulator/motor REMAN | eBay

Or buying the brand new unit from Yam6:

NEW GENUINE TOYOTA BRAKE BOOSTER PUMP W/ACCUMULATOR LAND CRUISER OEM 47070-60010 | eBay

Either one I plan to have my local mechanic install and do the bleeding.

Any opinions on which is the best route? Obviously I want to be as economical as possible, but I'm also willing to pay the extra for such a critical part.

Any thoughts?

Awesome that calms my nerves a bit!

I don't really have time to go have mine rebuilt, nor am I anywhere near the guy in Southern California.

Nor do I particularly want to pull the MC and bleed the system on my own.

So I'm torn between buying a rebuilt unit like this:

98-07 LEXUS LX470 Toyota LAND CRUISER ABS pump/accumulator/motor REMAN | eBay

Or buying the brand new unit from Yam6:

NEW GENUINE TOYOTA BRAKE BOOSTER PUMP W/ACCUMULATOR LAND CRUISER OEM 47070-60010 | eBay

Either one I plan to have my local mechanic install and do the bleeding.

Any opinions on which is the best route? Obviously I want to be as economical as possible, but I'm also willing to pay the extra for such a critical part.

Any thoughts?

I no longer have a 100, so I'm a bit rusty on specifics, but I can offer a caution about the parts you have listed. If you go reman off Ebay, make absolutely sure the motor (that's what fails) has been rebuilt and that the rebuilder is reputable. If you go with the new part off Ebay from Europe, make absolutely sure it's not counterfeit. That price is too good to be true and so be extra careful. This is a critical part!

These parts are all available new from U.S. dealers at discounts off MSRP. If the master cylinder has already been replaced (as seemed to be the case from your earlier posts) and all you need is the booster pump and accumulator, that's available for about $1400.

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Finally, don't delay. The pump motor has already given you a warning and when it quits the truck gets real hard to stop. At the very least, make sure your e-brake is working.

I no longer have a 100, so I'm a bit rusty on specifics, but I can offer a caution about the parts you have listed. If you go reman off Ebay, make absolutely sure the motor (that's what fails) has been rebuilt and that the rebuilder is reputable. If you go with the new part off Ebay from Europe, make absolutely sure it's not counterfeit. That price is too good to be true and so be extra careful. This is a critical part!

These parts are all available new from U.S. dealers at discounts off MSRP. If the master cylinder has already been replaced (as seemed to be the case from your earlier posts) and all you need is the booster pump and accumulator, that's available for about $1400.

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Finally, don't delay. The pump motor has already given you a warning and when it quits the truck gets real hard to stop. At the very least, make sure your e-brake is working.

Well I took it to my local shop and they think it's the booster pump and accumulator. They went through the local Lexus dealer which wanted to charge $1800 for the part.

I looked through some threads and ordered the unit from this Yam6 seller in the UK who seems pretty legit:

$869 with free shipping an no tax. Brand new apparently.

I really hope it's not counterfeit... anyone have experience with this seller?

Thanks.

Anyone else have experience with this Yam6 seller? I know I've seen at least one other thread where the seller was mentioned.

I just done a company check on them, they are importers/exporters of mining and construction equipment. Looks like they do car parts on the side a bit, they have a website, facebook page, company accounts registered that are available to view online. So not a big car parts dealer, just doing a bit of importing as a side interest. It looks like a small outfit going by their figures.

It looks like they import and export most of there car parts to the mines in africa going by their facebook page, looks like a wholesaler setup that sells a small amount to the public.

It looks like they import and export most of there car parts to the mines in africa going by their facebook page, looks like a wholesaler setup that sells a small amount to the public.

Interesting. Thanks for checking that out. Hopefully that means my part is legit then?

Will post pics when I get it

Yam6 customer here. I had the dreaded ABS and godawful sirens a few months ago. Ordered a pump/accumulator from ebay from Yam6 and got it quickly. Installed it myself in a really looooong afternoon (rookie moves on my part...[take lots of pictures]) and then bled the brakes. LC drove perfectly all the way to the dealer where I had the brakes re-bled in accordance with the FSM. Since then, all has been well and the problem is solved.

Are the parts legit? I assume they are parts sold by whoever manufactured them for Toyota in the first place, but I have no way to prove that. My guess is that thousands of these things were manufactured and are sitting on a shelf. They can distribute through Toyota for $x/unit or sell them to Yam6/ebay for $x+??? and make a little more per unit. I know, they are brakes (super important!) and if I had any doubt, I'd be the first guy to buy the one in a red/white branded Toyota box...just not really sure it matters in this case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom