NEW OWNER ! ! ! 97FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone , I have been on CCOT board for a couple of years as problems come up with my 84FJ60, but now am the proud new Daddy of a 97FZJ80 with 95,000 miles. One owner truck taken good care of. It has roof rack, towing package, no running boards, K&N air filter, no F/R diff switch, pirelli scorpion tires (yuck I think) and really looks brand new inside and out.

my first questions are

1. the antenna doesn't go up/down. Fuse is good and when the radio is on you can hear a faint click when pushing either the up or down button (dash souond I think, no sound from the quarter panel) but this sound doesn't occur when the quick connect on the passenger firewall is disconnected???
Any ideas?

2. The area immediately behind the front bumper under the front end has a cooler (transmission?) that looks very vulnerable to trees and other undergrowth I might be traveling through off road - is there a cage/plate/protector made for this area? Or is it protected if you buy an aftermarket bumper like a Kaymar etc.

3. A few times when accelrating onto the highway it seems to stay in 3rd longer than I would expect before shifting into OD - is this common or a sign that I need to get something looked at?

4. Plan to get all fluids flushed and changed, what are suggestions - is synthetic a waste once you have 95,000 miles on the motor/tranmission/diffs??

5. LAST BUT NOT LEAST Tires, I have been reading the threads here for a few weeks and everyone obviously likes BFG and Michelin. I have my second set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers on my 84FJ60 and the first set lasted 65,000 miles. I even got a set put on my wifes YukonXL (285's !). Hard to imagine those big things fitting my new LC? But they are really great tires.?

thanks for all your help and hope I can contribute in the future.

Jay

What's a Yukon......Good thing ya got no lockers...there just a PITA!!!

Seriously though, get 285's for the cruiser, go synthetic all over. Don't worry about that front thing....you wont hit it, Antenna...sounds like burned out motor...Introducing C-Dan....your new best friend who has a Bumper to pay for....

Hi Jay and welcome!

>> 1. the antenna doesn't go up/down. <<

Common problem and easy to fix. It's probably the plastic gear attached to the mast. 97's are different from other 80s so be sure you get the correct part. You can PM C-Dan and he'll know exactly what you need. Search the archives for many "how-to" posts concerning the antenna.

>> 2. ... cooler (transmission?) that looks very vulnerable to trees and other undergrowth <<

A/C dryer. Relocate it after you bust it off. It will cost about the same. Rumor has it that Christo is fabbing up a skid plate. If you do your own custom fab work then take a look at the pics of photoman's (Bill) front skid plate. Kewl.

>> 3. it seems to stay in 3rd longer than I would expect before shifting into OD <<

Normal if the tranny is cold.

>> 4. Plan to get all fluids flushed and changed, <<

Flush everything.
* Coolant (see archives.)
* Engine oil (switch to synthetic if that floats your boat.)
* F&R Diffs (again, syn)
* Tranny (recommend fluid replacement procedure at your Toy dealer. Don't flush w/cleaners. Use good brand ATF or syn if you don't mind the extra expense)
* Xfer (again, syn)
* Brake fluid (syn)
* P/S fluid (Use syn ATF)

Replace all belts with genuine Toyota. Keep old ones as spares.

>> 5. LAST BUT NOT LEAST Tires, <<

How do you plan to use the truck? We have to know this to make an informed recommendation. :doh:

-B-

hi and welcome

most people have switched to synthetics even with high mile vehicles and msot eveyrone has not foudn any problems. Benefits are unknown. The switch to synthetic M1 caused no leaks at 123k for me. Your motor has another 200k or so to run and if synthetics lengthen its life by only 10,000 miles, that's a deal. For the tranny make sure you get a low flow flush. For the diff, easy to do and no harm. You have probably also read about the birfield repacks. Most use synthetic grease there as well.

others have noted the vulnerable cooler but I've never heard of it being hit. An ARB front bumper provides a lot of protection. Conventional wisdom here is ARB or Slee are the only front bumpers worth buying.

for the antenna, you might just have a broken or jammed cable. Pull the mast bolt on the top and see if cable is still attached to the mast. If it is, have someone press the buttons while you pull or push to see what happens. If not, for my 93 there is a single retaining bolt inside the fire wall to undo to free the assembly then you have to reach inside and unclip the power cable and twist the assembly out. Be careful because it is still attached to the radio cable but it will come out far enough to detach the antenna tube which has the radio cable attached from the assembly and then you have the assembly out and free and can inspect it at your leisure to see if it is jammed or borken or just replace it.

[move]:flipoff2:[/move]
W
E
L
C
O
M
E

Ya got a nice truck. Congrats.

I put synthetic in my 97 (72,000 miles) in the engine (flushed), and in the diffs and xfer (no flush). Changed transmission fluid, used left over Toyota ATF from last car. I now see 18 MPG on Interstate at 70 mph. I think the synthetic pays for itself in fuel savings....may be only 3-4%, but it adds up to making the oil free especially in gearboxes where it can stay for a long time before needing changing.

What Junk said... :flipoff2: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom