New Owner 2005 LC - Yakima question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all, I'm the brand new owner of a 2005 LC, and I have a question for those who have installed a Yakima rack.

I have lots of Yakima components from previous vehicles, and I think I have all the parts I need to put together a rack for the LC without having to buy a thing. The main components I have:
  1. Crossbars - don't know the length right off hand, but I laid one across the LC and it extended 3-4 inches on both sides of the stock rails
  2. Rail towers - can't remember the exact name of the ones I have, but they work by grabbing onto any factory rail, I'm sure they will work
  3. Rocketbox - long kinda skinny one
  4. 2 bike attachments
  5. Basketcase
  6. various accessories for load carrying
The one thing I likely will need to buy is a fairing to keep down the noise.

Anyway, here is my actual question. What about the factory crossbars? Can they be removed? I will not be using them for anything, and would like to remove them, but I don't know how integral they are to the strength of the factory system.

Oh, and here is a pic of the new ride. :)

LC 1.jpg

Greetings all, I'm the brand new owner of a 2005 LC, and I have a question for those who have installed a Yakima rack.

I have lots of Yakima components from previous vehicles, and I think I have all the parts I need to put together a rack for the LC without having to buy a thing. The main components I have:
  1. Crossbars - don't know the length right off hand, but I laid one across the LC and it extended 3-4 inches on both sides of the stock rails
  2. Rail towers - can't remember the exact name of the ones I have, but they work by grabbing onto any factory rail, I'm sure they will work
  3. Rocketbox - long kinda skinny one
  4. 2 bike attachments
  5. Basketcase
  6. various accessories for load carrying
The one thing I likely will need to buy is a fairing to keep down the noise.

Anyway, here is my actual question. What about the factory crossbars? Can they be removed? I will not be using them for anything, and would like to remove them, but I don't know how integral they are to the strength of the factory system.

Oh, and here is a pic of the new ride. :)

View attachment 2371572
Congrats I like the color!

Yes the factory roof rack can be completely removed. There are several threads in this forum covering the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom