New Owner 2005 LC - Yakima question (1 Viewer)

leftfield6

SILVER Star
Greetings all, I'm the brand new owner of a 2005 LC, and I have a question for those who have installed a Yakima rack.

I have lots of Yakima components from previous vehicles, and I think I have all the parts I need to put together a rack for the LC without having to buy a thing. The main components I have:
  1. Crossbars - don't know the length right off hand, but I laid one across the LC and it extended 3-4 inches on both sides of the stock rails
  2. Rail towers - can't remember the exact name of the ones I have, but they work by grabbing onto any factory rail, I'm sure they will work
  3. Rocketbox - long kinda skinny one
  4. 2 bike attachments
  5. Basketcase
  6. various accessories for load carrying
The one thing I likely will need to buy is a fairing to keep down the noise.

Anyway, here is my actual question. What about the factory crossbars? Can they be removed? I will not be using them for anything, and would like to remove them, but I don't know how integral they are to the strength of the factory system.

Oh, and here is a pic of the new ride. :)

LC 1.jpg

Greetings all, I'm the brand new owner of a 2005 LC, and I have a question for those who have installed a Yakima rack.

I have lots of Yakima components from previous vehicles, and I think I have all the parts I need to put together a rack for the LC without having to buy a thing. The main components I have:
  1. Crossbars - don't know the length right off hand, but I laid one across the LC and it extended 3-4 inches on both sides of the stock rails
  2. Rail towers - can't remember the exact name of the ones I have, but they work by grabbing onto any factory rail, I'm sure they will work
  3. Rocketbox - long kinda skinny one
  4. 2 bike attachments
  5. Basketcase
  6. various accessories for load carrying
The one thing I likely will need to buy is a fairing to keep down the noise.

Anyway, here is my actual question. What about the factory crossbars? Can they be removed? I will not be using them for anything, and would like to remove them, but I don't know how integral they are to the strength of the factory system.

Oh, and here is a pic of the new ride. :)

View attachment 2371572
Congrats I like the color!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom