New owner - '00 LX and build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

You may have seen me recently asking for advice on a '00 LX I was checking out. Well I wound up buying it and I love it. Figured I'd start a slow build thread.

This was my previous rig. '97 FZJ80 with 167k on the clock. Went to a local ex-Toyota mechanic so it's in good hands:

lawRsDG.jpg

And here's my new love interest:

MYzZuwQ.jpg

VIeXwvv.jpg

- 2000 LX470 - 214k miles
- One local California owner, bought brand new.
- serviced at the same Lexus dealer since day one. meticulous service records.
- Garaged its whole life
- not a spec of rust. Undercarriage looks brand new.

I've never bought a car with this many miles before, but this thing is immaculate. The paint and interior look better than any Cruiser I've seen with half the miles. They really babied this thing, and it drives like it too. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to start using it as intended.

My one big concern with getting an LX over a Toyota was the AHC. It seems to operate just fine, and moved 7-8 tic marks from low to High, which by the sound of it is still good operating condition, but not amazing.

Here are my plans:

1) replace the heater T's. It looks like they have been done at least once in the life of the vehicle since there are traditional screw drive hose clamps instead of the factory crimp type clamps. However, one of the T's has some red crusty coolant on it so I think it might be leaking a smidge.

2) Tires. I had Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on the 80, and I will be putting the same on the 100. 285/75/16 varietal.

3) remove running boards

4) Roof Rack. I have a Tepui RTT that I will be mounting and want a nice sturdy rack for it. I'm currently debating between a Gamiviti expedition rack or a Baja Expo rack (which I had on the 80). I like the flat rack with the basket section in the front. Curious to hear feedback on either rack or any other suggestions?

Congrats on the rig. Sounds like you got yourself a GREAT find there. I'd recommend doing a flush and refill of the AHC to baseline it. Follow the PADDO way and you'll be fine. Super easy, 1/2 banana job.

As for the roof rack, I wholeheartedly recommend the Gamiviti. I did the Expo++ version with the sunroof cutout, lightbar and all 8 mounting points (distributes shock load much better than just 4 or 6 mounting points). Thing is sturdy as hell (walk all around on it) and has almost limitless options for attaching things. I run it with the Expo facing down which provides incredibly convenient hand holds and grab points. The rack can also be "flipped" so that the Expo faces up which provides a semi-basket. I started running my old Yakima basket mounted onto my Gamiviti and then strapped down my traction boards horizontally across the Gamiviti rack just aft of the sunroof. Also, dealing with Tim at Gamiviti is FANTASTIC! LOVE this setup!

Tundra Wheels.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

Dude, you got the best color. Congrats!

Congrats on the rig. Sounds like you got yourself a GREAT find there. I'd recommend doing a flush and refill of the AHC to baseline it. Follow the PADDO way and you'll be fine. Super easy, 1/2 banana job.

As for the roof rack, I wholeheartedly recommend the Gamiviti. I did the Expo++ version with the sunroof cutout, lightbar and all 8 mounting points (distributes shock load much better than just 4 or 6 mounting points). Thing is sturdy as hell (walk all around on it) and has almost limitless options for attaching things. I run it with the Expo facing down which provides incredibly convenient hand holds and grab points. The rack can also be "flipped" so that the Expo faces up which provides a semi-basket. I started running my old Yakima basket mounted onto my Gamiviti and then strapped down my traction boards horizontally across the Gamiviti rack just aft of the sunroof. Also, dealing with Tim at Gamiviti is FANTASTIC! LOVE this setup!

Thanks for the tips, man. Just ordered my T's and new AHC fluid.

For the rack, glad to hear you like the Gamiviti. I'm trying to be as economical as possible so probably just going to do the regular Expo with no sunroof cutout. However, I'm curious about these mounting points. How many does it have if I don't choose extra? Is that not enough to support a tent + some gear?

One other thing I've been curious is shipping cost. Do you remember what you paid to get it shipped?

Thanks for the tips, man. Just ordered my T's and new AHC fluid.

For the rack, glad to hear you like the Gamiviti. I'm trying to be as economical as possible so probably just going to do the regular Expo with no sunroof cutout. However, I'm curious about these mounting points. How many does it have if I don't choose extra? Is that not enough to support a tent + some gear?

One other thing I've been curious is shipping cost. Do you remember what you paid to get it shipped?

The standard rack setup for Gamiviti is the 6 mount/plate version. It will handle any load extremely well. The 8 mount/plate version just gives a little more margin. Honestly, not totally necessary. I do like the sunroof cutout, but I love the sunroof (most mudders seem to view the sunroof as a nuisance). I would say at least do the Expo+ so that you have holds above the rear doors. Plus, that gives you additional tie-down/accessory/light mounting options (perfect for QuickFists). I didn't have mine shipped. I drove from Austin to Broomfield CO (what better excuse to drive around CO) and installed it in Tim's driveway. He was supremely helpful and a real class act.

Well I certainly went quiet here for a while. Time for an update!

The thing that's been consuming most of my time is the brakes. Shortly after buying the car, I got the screeching from the master cylinder, ABS alarm and all that.

I started by replacing the Booster and Accumulator, but it did not fix it. Wound having to buy a brand new MC assembly. Not fun, but glad it's behind me.

First step was to remove the running boards:

RTKvK0l.jpg

Next up was to flush the AHC system and replace the heater T's. This is the only picture I have form that day. Big cruiser riding low with the fluid bleeding out:

4IfY56Z.jpg

Next came the roof rack! I looked at Gamiviti and Baja, but I didn't like the super long lead times. I wanted to get my tent up there ASAP. I did some searching and found Jason reeves at Trail Tailor - @reevesci and COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. Jason's work is incredible, and he even helped me mount the thing. I can't recommend him and his work enough. Here's the pics from when I first mounted it, driving home:

HZcpfwB.jpg

E8b33Qd.jpg

MwW0KJb.jpg

Next step was tires.

Those wimpy Michelins weren't going to do me much good. I was going to get the Falkens again, but I decided to get Cooper ST Maxx instead. 285/75/16. Really aggressive tire, but still plenty quiet on the highway. Really impressed with them.

t6noOde.jpg

Then here it is as it sits today. I got the Tepui up there and it has some dirt on it finally from the mountains. (AHC in high mode for posing purposes):

MjChcFF.jpg

subbbb

Can't believe it was 2018 when I last posted here. A few changes since then!

First of all, i swapped the enormous Tepui fold out tent for an Autohome Maggiolina hard shell. I had to modify my roof rack to make it fit

5DbhkbV.jpg

F6Er71u.jpg

Then with a lot of stuck at home time this year, I designed and built a drawer and fridge setup for the back

IhUndnh.jpg

Y87cXtR.jpg

E08hGRG.jpg

luXMNRk.jpg

sUIw7jB.jpg

Been doing a few trips but the most recent was a 1000+ mile trip to the Lone Pine area in the Eastern Sierras. It was a ton of highway driving and a LOT of miles on dirt. The old girl didn't put a foot wrong and I can't imagine any other car being that capable, but also that comfortable eating up freeway miles.

In 5 days we covered a lot but here's some highlights.

Driving through the Mammoth area:

vSwNQ0V.jpg

Interesting mix of vehicles

kEibGnt.jpg

LV6abA8.jpg

aCU0xVa.jpg

h6VKDJG.jpg

yPiatho.jpg

PYAonSh.jpg

hg8lSg7.jpg

YArsJYD.jpg

looking down into Death Valley from 9500ft up

YPApZ1q.jpg

Nice! So at this point do you know how many miles you have on the Coopers? I loved mine on my 60 series but they only lasted about 30k miles. With them not having a standard mileage warranty I am wary of going to them again because the 100 does a lot more driving than my 60 did. Really wish Cooper would re-release them with some slight upgrades and do like a 40-45k mile warranty.

Nice! So at this point do you know how many miles you have on the Coopers? I loved mine on my 60 series but they only lasted about 30k miles. With them not having a standard mileage warranty I am wary of going to them again because the 100 does a lot more driving than my 60 did. Really wish Cooper would re-release them with some slight upgrades and do like a 40-45k mile warranty.

I have about 20k miles on them so far. I have 5 and have been rotating in the spare and they honestly still look pretty new minus some rock rash on the outside lugs. I would be very surprised if I get less than another 20k out of them.

They are LT tires which I assume have a sturdier rubber if that makes any difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom