New or used?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am close to pulling the trigger on a demo 06 LC but I hesitate when I see what a good '03 or '04 can be bought for. Are the improvements in the '06 i.e. 275 hp engine worth the extra money? Most of my vehicles seem to be long term so I am not so much concerned with initial depreciation as I am with just overall value. Thanks

Depends what you want it for and how deep your pockets are. If you are going to wheel it IMO you'd be better off getting a really good deal on a '03, '04...since you're going to dump another 10-15K to get it right where you want it...

But heh....it's only money.

yellow dog 62 said:
I am close to pulling the trigger on a demo 06 LC but I hesitate when I see what a good '03 or '04 can be bought for. Are the improvements in the '06 i.e. 275 hp engine worth the extra money? Most of my vehicles seem to be long term so I am not so much concerned with initial depreciation as I am with just overall value. Thanks

If you're considering a used Southwest LC, I've found that the prices for used ('03+) LC's are as much if not more than the same LX w/ the same mileage. Private party prices seem to be mimick dealer prices. I've even seen pp LC prices more than certified LX prices. Just do a search on autotrader.

IMHO, a used LX will likely have been better maintained (or over-maintained by the dealer) than the LC (the vehicle I bought had it's diff/t-case/ATF drained every 15K mi, ATF and brake fluid flushed every 30K mi by the dealer; Toyota doesn't even specify to change the diff/t-case fluids at 60K unless you tow, nor does it specify to change the brake fluid). It's probably not that critical, but most of us on this board are maintenance nuts, and we all appreciate an over-maintained vehicle. Make sure you inspect the undercarriage for rusty bolts (sign of a vehicle driven in/near salt), Katrina mud, etc. If it's a LX you're looking at, any Lexus dealer can download its service records if you provide the VIN. I found this to be a great convenience, as you could learn a great deal about an out-of-town vehicle.

Good point on the lc v the LX and the LX standard warranty is 48 months or 50k miles and the powertrain warranty is 70 months/70k miles vs the standard 36months and 36k miles and 60 months or 60k miles on the powertrain warranty. Just a thought especially if prices are close to the same. I know the 04 LC had the rear view camera vs an 03 without.

uzj100

vvti - variable valve timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom