New OEM radiator, what comes with it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cheezypoof

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm replacing my radiator with a new OEM (going with the brass 16400-66040 because it was cheaper), will it come with new brackets, insulators, collars and associated fasteners or should I order that stuff too? All those things are a little crusty which is why I'd like to replace them too. I have all the part #s for that stuff, in the cart ready to fire. Thanks!

(edited: by 'stuff' I mean the yellow highlighted parts below)
Screenshot 2022-05-09 105234.png

Last edited:
I'm replacing my radiator with a new OEM (going with the brass 16400-66040 because it was cheaper), will it come with new brackets, insulators, collars and associated fasteners or should I order that stuff too? I have all the part #s for that stuff, in the cart ready to fire. Thanks!
I just replaced my radiator the second time in a couple months because I got cheap lol. It was the plastic version which is what came with the 1996-97 FZJ80. That rad came with the foam gasket and side metal brackets that go the length of the radiator as well as a new cap. No bolt brackets or rubbers as those need to be purchased separately. It did come with the petcock!

From what I have read on the forum, the plastic rad does in fact cool better due to the aluminum having a better ability to exchange heat. I know you had mentioned that you went the brass route as it was cheaper, but once you start to price the rubbers and brackets that attach the radiator to the core support I think your cost savings is a rather mute point. Those little pieces are really expensive for what they are and that cost adds up really quick from the dealer.

I'm replacing my radiator with a new OEM (going with the brass 16400-66040 because it was cheaper), will it come with new brackets, insulators, collars and associated fasteners or should I order that stuff too? I have all the part #s for that stuff, in the cart ready to fire. Thanks!

(edited: by 'stuff' I mean the yellow highlighted parts below)
View attachment 3004281
I did a OEM replacement a couple of months ago. Nothing difficult, I took a few brackets off the old one and done in a jiffy. I didn't order anything else. Even came with a cap.
Works great.
Have fun

From what I have read on the forum, the plastic rad does in fact cool better due to the aluminum having a better ability to exchange heat. I know you had mentioned that you went the brass route as it was cheaper, but once you start to price the rubbers and brackets that attach the radiator to the core support I think your cost savings is a rather mute point. Those little pieces are really expensive for what they are and that cost adds up really quick from the dealer.
I went down the Mud OEM aluminum vs. brass rabbit hole and emerged believing either is perfectly fine (from a performance perspective), so saving $ became the criteria that mattered most - the brass was about $80 cheaper. Are you saying the aluminum comes with brackets etc. and the brass doesn't? To be clear, I'm comparing the 2 OEM options for the FZJ80.

I did a OEM replacement a couple of months ago. Nothing difficult, I took a few brackets off the old one and done in a jiffy. I didn't order anything else. Even came with a cap.
Works great.
Have fun
Thanks - looking forward to defusing the 25yr old time bomb I currently have

Nothing else comes with an OEM radiator except for the radiator cap.

IME the brackets etc can be sanded (or bead blasted), primed, and painted.
Before painting I drilled drain holes in the horizontal sections of the four brackets (16583 and 16585 above) so water/dirt and in the OP's area, where salt wouldn't collect. IME that's where the corrosion was located (horizontal surfaces of the brackets)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom