New OEM exaust or something different? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my white knuckle sliders. I've taken the old running boards off and before installing the sliders I need to get my exhaust replaced. The whole exhaust has been bad for a few years now I just didn't want to put the money into it. So my question is should I go oem or have a local exhaust shop just replace everything with whatever they use or have other people had good luck with certain brands? The whole exhaust is bad, from manifold back. Thanks for any advice.

I have the same situation here. The only thing I have ruled out is replacing it with something that is going to rust or corrode quickly. Reading through the threads here, it seems to be an issue with piecing together some of the aftermarket components.

From what I can tell, 304 stainless is the way to go but I have no idea what a custom solution would cost.

The cost of OEM parts has been holding me back. I can find the y-pipe/cat for $1200 on Impex but they almost always come back after I order asking for 2x the initial shipping cost with no option to cancel the order. Amayama has it for about $150 less than you can get discounted here in the US but that's still $1414. All in, it's about $3K with the 2nd cat, muffler, and tail pipe if you stay OEM.

Are your manifolds bad as well or just starting at the y-pipe?

Even if I wasn’t a CA resident, I’d go OEM all the way. But then it’s a math problem around value.

78B472CB-E178-41A5-9784-A942A697F1D8.jpeg

30893603-C258-4CDD-BCC9-8B2EEEFD4A3A.jpeg

If you can wait, see if USA Toyota does another super parts promo this year. I literally refreshed my exhaust system from headers to exhaust tip for about $3K a couple of months ago. Sans promo, it’d be around $4K same parts.

9E2C02A2-F52E-4486-9CE9-F006CD0F3A8E.png

No aftermarket Frankenstein setup will equal the reliability, durability, longevity and compliance factor of OEM.

Gl!

P.S. Don’t forget the o2 sensors

Last edited:
Just got my white knuckle sliders. I've taken the old running boards off and before installing the sliders I need to get my exhaust replaced. The whole exhaust has been bad for a few years now I just didn't want to put the money into it. So my question is should I go oem or have a local exhaust shop just replace everything with whatever they use or have other people had good luck with certain brands? The whole exhaust is bad, from manifold back. Thanks for any advice.

Even if I wasn’t a CA resident, I’d go OEM all the way. But then it’s a math problem around value.

View attachment 3055281

View attachment 3055280

If you can wait, see if USA Toyota does another super parts promo this year. I literally refreshed my exhaust system from headers to exhaust tip for about $3K a couple of months ago. Sans promo, it’d be around $4K same parts.

View attachment 3055275

No aftermarket Frankenstein setup will equal the reliability, durability, longevity and compliance factor of OEM.

Gl!

P.S. Don’t forget the o2 sensors

Did you get your exhaust system installed? Curious if there were any parts left over or any parts missing. I had a slightly different list of parts based on diagrams but pretty similar.

When I replace my exhaust system, I think I'm going to go all stainless. I believe Borla makes an SS system, but I may be wrong.
(Wrong?!? Yeah, sure...)

I went stock from end to end…replaced the hangers too…there’s something to be said about the quietness and longevity of the stock system…plus no fitment headaches and also epa compliant, if that matters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom