New Mudder with THE BIG QUESTION (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When buying a used vehicle with 200k on the clock, there's going to be some repairs involved. Be prepared for:

Birf rebuild ~ $400 if you DIY
Cooling system ~ $600
Head gasket ~ $1,500
Front end parts ~ $150
Brake refresh ~ $200
Tune up ~ $200
Pesky heater hose (if applicable) ~ $50 and shattered knuckles

If you had to do all of the above, and fix a few oil leaks, you should be good for another 100k or so.

Are those birf and the head gasket numbers right?

Nothing I wouldn't consider a fair price, including a top end and head gasket. My only point being that these arent cheap trucks.

Outside of low gas mileage, that's not been my experience. I think a lot the folks on here get into mods and obsessive compulsive PM that make it an expensive truck to own (or should I say hobby). I guess my point is, if I was the OP reading these responses, I'd be scared to death to buy one and I just don't see it as a fair or accurate representation of the vehicle.

My $0.02.

If you do the complete front axle overhaul with new OEM bearings and races all around, probably not far off. If you can still source the factory bearings without having to buy them through Toyota, probably closer to $200 or $250.

^^ this

I have maintained a lot of older vehicles. Anything almost 20 years old is gonna need some attention, and oem parts for any vehicle are gonna be pricey. I just don't see 80 series parts being that much more than tacoma parts 4runner parts or (insert vehicle of your choice) parts. The thing that people don't mention is that things on a land cruiser are rebuildable instead of replaceable. It does cost money to get these trucks up to snuff but once you get there you will be happy and have a relationship with a truly remarkable vehicle. It may not be for everyone but I think you would just know it in your gut. Either it's in you or it's not.

THAT'S what I'm talkin 'bout. I'm looking to spend 20 years behind the wheel of my next vehicle, and I want a rig that is engineered for reliability.
What components of the LC80 can be rebuilt?
I'm all about reliability. How likely is the (more complex) 4.7L to hold up long-term vs. the 1FE?
Here I'm admittedly ignorant: A solid axle seems simpler, more durable, less expensive, and easier to maintain than IFS. Am I wrong?

Even though the 4.7 is a proven motor, I would put my money on the 1fz. You may find head gasket troubles with it and many choose to replace the HG as a PM. Taking care of the cooling system is a must as this engine makes a lot of heat. You're gonna be in for oil leaks so be ready to do seals and gaskets. As long as you keep oil in this motor the bottom end is bullet proof.

As for rebuildable I'm mainly referring to front knuckles ( no unit bearings), power steering pump, ac compressors and such. You don't hear about jeep guys putting new brushes in their alternators.

I wouldn't really say the solid axle is easier to maintain than IFS. But it is much simpler and stouter. You spend some time getting to know an 80 and she'll let you know what she needs.

I sold my first 80 to a good friend so I could purchase a 40. On the way to deliver the truck I saw an lx450 that I could not pass up and my friend or myself could not be happier.

Here's a pic of my head when I was doing my valve cover gasket. 180k on the clock and it doesn't look hurt at all.

image-3182207570.jpg

As close to accurate without pulling receipts. That's using OEM parts & doing the labor myself.

I may be off a bit but not much.

I will tell you this:

I've owned Hummers, Grand Cherokee, Explorer, Z71, Tahoe, Cherokee, and a hi lux 4x4. I would rather my 80 over all of them. Unless I was towing lol the Hummer def had the most power.

There's just something ab 80's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom