New motor for an old Toyota. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i think you will need to make the wheelbase longer if you use a 5 speed trans. and a 6 cyl engine. i put a 22r and 5 speed in my 71 fj 40. i used a rear end from an 89 v6 pickup, and the tube section of the rear driveshaft is only about 3.5 inches long.

Hello redrider288,
I have searched a long time for someone who has a 22r in their 40 , so I have few questions for you .
Pics ,can you post some. what are you using for a front axle and drive shaft?
The most important question is what kind of preformance and fuel economy do you get?
If you don't mind provide some more details of how you did this from front to back, from the rad to the rear axle. Did you use a rear axle from a 79-85 truck with a v6 third member? yes and wellcome to mud.:clap:

fj40 with 22r

hey vic, thanks for the welcome. i dont have any pics of rusty (thats what my fiance named him) with the 22r yet. but i will take some this week and post them. i started with a 22re from an 88 pickup and a 5 speed (w56 i think) transmission from a 92 pickup. i mounted the motor so the fan is where it would normally be. ( a couple inches from the radiator) this position made the shifters sit perfectly. i used the complete rear end from an 89 v6 4x4 pickup that a friend left in my shop too long. i dont think this is a good setup for serious 4wheeling, because the rear drivershaft is so short you probably couldnt lift it much. but i just want to cruise and get better mpg. it had a chevy 305 v8 gas hog and original 3 speed when i bought it. it has the fj front axle in it now, which makes the diff. housing pretty close to the oil pan. i have an axle from an 83 pickup to go in it. (my next project) so i havnt made the front driveshaft yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom