New Mexico HB 231 adding front bumper license plate to NM vehicles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a bill working its way through the current legislature in Santa Fe. This bill wants to add a front license plate along with the current rear bumper only license plate for New Mexico automobiles.

I do not want this extra plate on my front bumper. Your opinion may differ...........

If you want to voice your opinion on this ,
google: New Mexico HB231, and e mail the bill's two sponsors . Bill Rehm and Patricio Ruiloba

Its just so they can drive through parking lots and check registration. This new bunch of people in Santa Fe have a real mental deficiency.

Interesting. They should probably start by enforcing the requirement for a rear license plate. I saw five cars yesterday with no plate and no dealer tag either.

Interesting. They should probably start by enforcing the requirement for a rear license plate. I saw five cars yesterday with no plate and no dealer tag either.

Its ok if they are here illegally

...or out on pre-trail services pending multiple felonies.

Locks and laws keep honest people honest.

Locks and laws keep honest people honest.

I agree completely.

This license plate thing is just to make more money from the honest hard working tax payers

"a front plate goes against my 1st amendment right" ... or "... religious beliefs".. problem solved!! lol!! but yeah, the law enforcement in this state is a joke.

"a front plate goes against my 1st amendment right" ... or "... religious beliefs".. problem solved!! lol!! but yeah, the law enforcement in this state is a joke.

It doesnt matter any more. To the lawmakers the US Constitution and Bill of Rights are a joke.

It’s unfortunate the law enforcement community has their hands...cuffed?...by shortsighted legislation and a lackadaisical judiciary.

It’s unfortunate the law enforcement community has their hands...cuffed?...by shortsighted legislation and a lackadaisical judiciary.

Especially in Albuquerque.

I have several objections. Personally , I do not want any air flow restrictions to my car or my cruiser motor. That big "straight six " needs all the cooling it can get.
If it passes, a lot of custom bumpers on 4x4's and custom cars will have to be modified, especially if the plate has to be mounted in the center of the front bumper. I have a winch in the middle of my front bumper. I guess I would just drill some holes to one side and bolt it on there .

Secondly, this extra cost of having to change out every vehicle's current plate to a new 2 plate number will be costly and now everybody will get new plate numbers. I think we already spend too much on New Mexico plates, because we have, what, 3 or 4 different designs for our license plates. Yeah, I have my favorite, but I do not think we need all these different designs and the associated extra costs.
Just pick one plate design and let's stay with it. It looks like most states have a bunch of choices. So, we are not alone. Many states have front and rear license plates, so we are more of the exception here in NM. It is not a huge big deal, if it happens here, but why change something that seems to be working fine now? Spend the money on something else that is important.
If some one wants a "vanity plate" and pays more for it, That's OK with me. But save some money and just have one plate , on the rear bumper, and make it one design.
It is like having 60 or 70 different quarters, with a different state or park on each one. How much more it must cost taxpayers to make all these different quarters, it's a 25 cent piece . I know it is fun to collect them all, But save some money and just make one quarter.
Anyway, Let the representatives know what you think. We must stay involved in what new rules are coming down from our government. Some new laws may be good, and you want to support them, but we have to pay attention, because they can have different ideas, and some laws can have unintended results, if the writers have not considered all the different angles.
That's my 25 cents worth.... with a picture of Alabama on it , of course.

I just took the time to send some emails about this issue, so I figured I'd post some info here in case anyone wants to do the same:

The bill > https://www.nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Legislation?chamber=H&legType=B&legNo=231&year=19

For anyone who would like to contact these gentlemen and tell them how you feel, here is their info. Note that both of them were in law enforcement prior to becoming politicians.

Bill Rehm:
email >
bill.rehm@nmlegis.gov
capitol phone > 505-986-4214
office/home phone > 505-259-3398
bio> https://www.nmlegis.gov/Members/Legislator?SponCode=HREHM

Patricio Ruiloba:
email >
Patricio.ruiloba@nmlegis.gov
capitol phone > 505-986-4327
office/home phone > 505-417-1749
bio> https://www.nmlegis.gov/Members/Legislator?SponCode=HRUIL

Also, I have a 2019 contact list for all of our political representatives, both NM and US, in excel format. If you would like to have it via email, send me a PM.

Probably a better course of action than emailing the sponsors themselves would be to email your particular representative and tell them to vote "NO". The sponsors likely could not care less what we think unless we are one of their electing constituents. If you email the representative for your area and tell them that this would cost them your vote come election time, that might have more of an impact. Find your representative here:

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Members/Find_My_Legislator

Here's the email I sent to my legislator, Bill Pratt:

Good day, Mr. Pratt:

I am emailing today as one of your constituents to express my opposition to 2019 HB 231 "Front and Back License Plates". I believe that this bill creates an unnecessary requirement for motor vehicle owners to pay additional fees each time they register their vehicle. I personally own three vehicles, two of which have been modified to suit my personal tastes. A front license plate would be an unsightly addition to those vehicles and would impact my ability to enjoy my personal property as I see fit.

Beyond the aesthetic and financial impact, this would foster a "big brother" approach to law enforcement and create more opportunities for police officers to pull over, interrogate, search, and seize property from typical law abiding citizens. Criminals will not adhere to this law, and it will not help to protect law abiding citizens from becoming victims of a crime. Finally, the enforcement of this statute would create yet another drain on the time and resources of police officers whose time would be better spent enforcing existing laws.

Please vote "NO" on HB 231 when it comes across your desk.

As your constituent, I thank you,

Name
Address
Phone number

Thank you, Big Fish All Day for posting links for us to write our legislators . I sent an e mail to my rep. Jane E Powdrell- Culbert.
We will see what happens, although I have heard it passed through the first committee and hopefully our actions will stop HR231 soon.

NM HB231 is still alive an kicking. It is back in the Judiciary Committee with a DO Pass recommendation . Better get active are this may be the new law of the land soon. Do Goggle search for members of Judiciary committee and voice your opinion.

I have come to the conclusion that the group of commies in Santa Fe don't give a rats ass about the people of New Mexico. I won't give up pestering them, but they dont care. Especially that mealy-mouthed governor.

Last edited:
NM HB231 is still alive an kicking. It is back in the Judiciary Committee with a DO Pass recommendation .

If that is true then the State is not updating the bill tracker website. There is no activity listed since 2/25 when it left the Transportation & Public Works committee. It would still need to get passed by the House, then sent to the Senate. Since the session ends tomorrow I think it would take a Hail Mary to get it passed this year.

I am hoping it dies in committee and we never hear of it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom