new member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my cruiser for over 2 months now. The PO desmoged and put a weber on, so far i'm not very happy with his work. (i found many vac leaks and striped manifold bold, must not be a mud member) Just want to say thanks for this web site, has helped me work out a lot of problems, and ask a few questions if i could.
compression test resalts after adjusting valves and tighting head bolts
1 130
2 125
3 125
4 125
5 125
6 130 psi
my question is this pretty normal for a engine with 160k, or should i start looking into a rebuild?
I get 10 mpg in town and 12.6 on highway.
some pictures of my ride
DSC02491 resize.jpg
lc5r.jpg
DSC02642 resize.jpg

Welcome to Mud.

That is a little low but they are all close which is good. What elevation are you at? The elevation will affect the compression pressure. I would say your compression is fine and not worry about it. The mpg is not so good. Maybe the weber and elevation is causing the bad mileage. The stock setup has a system to adjust timing at higher elevations and improve the air/fuel ratio for better drivability.

The compression is consistent. As long as the engine runs smooth and the oil is clean I don't see any need for a rebuild, anytime soon. If you have a spare car it's fun to rebuild a 2F. I just did mine!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/224856-school-out-fun-begins.html

Also running a Weber. They are pretty funky carbs. I am currently trying to find a way to get things working better.

I would also say that what is most important is that the numbers are consistent. The numbers you get are dependent on a lot of factors: accuracy of the gauge, elevation, engine temperature (warm or cold), condition of the battery, plugs in or out, position of carb throttle, etc.

Below are the compression results I've gotten over the years--higher than factory spec. according to Sid, so I don't really believe the numbers, but they are pretty consistent, which is good. I do the test with the engine warm, all the spark plugs removed and the carb throttle held open
compression results.JPG

WOW thanks for all the replys!
The elevation here is around 4800 feet.

klinetime, nice build. someday I will do the same, looks like fun. I just hope my 2f lasts a few years so I can save some coin.

Welcome to IH8MUD. I assume that you are in the Bozeman area? I'm near Dillon. I would say that you don't need to worry about the compression with the numbers being even. I'm at 5000 feet and have had numbers like that. In regard to mileage, I have sent 3 stock Aisin carbs off to Jim Chenoweth in Lancaster, OH and they were plug and play when I got them back. He set each one up for desmog and also for our altitude. Maybe you can pick one up and send it to him while you are driving with your Weber. I get just short of 15 mpg with mixed driving. So, do the math for 15000 miles per year. If you get 10mpg and gas is $2/gallon, it costs you $3000 per year. If you do the same and get 15mpg, you spend $2000 on gas. And you probably will get better off road range.

There is a man on this board from Helena who has a number of cruisers that he is parting out. His name on the board is 3_puppies.. He may be able to help you with a use carb.

Welcome gas mpg is low compared to mine,start with the basics, tune -up ,tire pressure etc.20-25% better mpg is obtainable. Mike

The elevation here is around 4800 feet.
[/FONT]

I would call 130 good at your elevation. Like 2mbb was saying. Did you hold down the gas pedal when you cranked the engine doing the compression test and was it warm. That help with a more accurate reading but I wouldn't bother with it again. I would looked into a stock carb or see about jetting the weber for your altitude to help the mileage.

Thanks again for all the replys. It puts me at ease to know my compression #s are normal. I think i'm going to adjust the timing this weekend and see if that helps with gas. I would like to stay with the weber for now, but I might look into getting a bigger air filter and having it jetted. Does anyone know a good place to get weber jets?:popcorn:

Nice! Have you thought about painting your roof white? Might be a little cooler in the summer...

Thanks for the links

yeah if I painted the roof white and got some red and blue lights maybe people would stop tailing me! just kidding. I've read that tinting the windows has a bigger affect on heat then the color, but i'm not really sure about that.:hmm:

So I cannot find the HAC so I guess it's gone with the old carb. I'm thinking I might set the timing to 14 BTDC and see if that helps, i'll keep ya posted. If timing her doesn't help i'll be orbering some jets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom