New member to the family (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We added a new member to the family during this bitter cold weekend. Some of you might recognize the garage, the dog and P.O. in the background. ;):idea:
It was looking for a new home and we gave it one. These are all the pics that I have of it now.

Jim
Casey's 80_2.jpg
Casey's 80_1.jpg

The 80. The 60 will just get replacement springs and 31's. We want the 60 to retain the classic icon look....

Blue 60

I think that's a good decision. The 80 will be a much more capable wheeler than the 60 ever thought of being, but the 60 is just so much 'cooler' than the 80... I'd keep it close to stock too. Well, I'd probobly put 33's on it though..

Besides, the 80's are super cheap to lift compared to a full kit for a 60 series. If you still had your $500 cruiser cash that would almost be enough for a full lift from Slee.

I know we'll talk more later, but my suggestion for armor would be
1. sliders
2. Front bumper
3. Rear bumper
4. t-case skid.

Solidrock offroad builds great sliders for a good price... or build your own if you can weld.

Building the 80 will be fun. Yes, I can weld and dad's shop should be getting a welder and plasma cutter in the next couple of months.... I'll definately build my own sliders and probably the rear bumper too. We'll see on the front though.

Jim

saw that too

I saw that too, but the CFO would not go for that right now. There are some minor maintenance issues to deal w/ right now.

Does anyone know, can you solder the brass(?) clip that the rear defrost plug hooks onto back on to the window if it breaks off?

Jim

Does anyone know, can you solder the brass(?) clip that the rear defrost plug hooks onto back on to the window if it breaks off?

I think that would be the best option. One thing to think about though- park it in someone's (warm) garage first. You don't want to hit cold glass with hot molten metal. First of all, it won't solder well at all that way, and secondly, you run a chance of thermal shocking (cracking) the glass.

I think that is a beautiful rig!

Lockers front and rear? I'm extremely jealous, you have quite the find there.

Personally, I agree with leaving the 60 as is, it's a classic. As you may have seen, I tried some fancy (black and white) editing with the video I got of you descending into the creek.

Dingman out. (fare well)

Last edited:
they make a special conductive adhesive to attach those defrost clips to the rear window... go to any napa or o'reilly's or whatever and ask for it. works great - done it on a couple of vehicles

it does need to be something like 50 degress or warmer to do it though.

I'd be real hesitant to try to solder it...

thanks

Hey erics, thanks for the idea. I'll try that first. Brent also gets cudos for phoning in the same thoughts.... After looking at it, 'm worried that the heat from soldering might burn off quite a bit of the protective covering on the defrost lines.... I guess I'll have to let you all know if it works.

Jim

Ding, it has F & R factory lockers and gray leather interior and @ 170k miles. I've seen your vid of us stockers coming down that turn into the creek. It's interesting because I've got video from inside the truck of us coming down. (cheap 40, I'm still trying to hook up w/ a guy that will digitize the video for me...sorry about the delay.)

Jim

No worries, Jim. I of all people should understand. I've always got more projects than time.

Getting anxious for warmer weather. I've got a lift waiting on the floor for the 97, and I want the 40 to be SOA for the Classic..........

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom