New Member Spotlight - DIFF LOCK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DIFF LOCK

Threads
Hello IH8MUD community,

My name is Scott and I'm from Gilbert, Arizona. I just picked up my first Land Cruiser--a 2004 model in Thunder Cloud. I purchased it from the original owner and it was registered its whole life in Arizona. While I am new to the LC platform, I am a TOYOTA and Honda guy who does most of his own mods and repairs. I've owned two different 4Runners in the past and actually was the technical writer for the complete install (including pics) for Sonoran Steel's 4Runner lift kit (Tundra front coils/shocks, Land Cruiser coils/shocks in the rear) back in the day. I also used to lead an off-road group through my church (at the time) called G4 (Grace Community Church 4WD Club), but all of this was many years back. I've been out of the scene for a long time, but am thrilled to be back and thrilled to have paid cash for my rig and not have a monthly payment!

I've owned this Cruiser for less than 48 hours, but already I've ditched the running boards and wind deflector on the hood, added 2021 Tundra TRD Sport wheels (PS, the center caps don't fit in the front), and have slowly but surely been cleaning her up. Oh, and I'm also into firearms. So basically I'm screwed because I have two expensive hobbies. The rifle build is a Colt and it's a clone of similar M4 setups used by US SEALs and MARSOC. PM me if you want to talk guns.

-Scott

IMG-3996.jpg

IMG-3992.jpg

IMG-3993.jpg

IMG-3991.jpg

Welcome! That's a beautiful Cruiser, I've always loved that color. Black Tundra wheels are a great match to it too.

Also, sweet M4 build. I need to put one of those together someday soon.
Thanks! The wheels are actually a charcoal gray. They go great with the silver paint.

Be forewarned on that clone build. Certain accessories can be hard to find and pricey! As in, $1K for a 200 lumen weapon light since it's discontinued. Also, go 10.3" not 10.5", or you'll anger the clone gods and the enthusiasts will descend upon you :)

Sad to see the pea shooter spoil the nice pics ;)

Welcome 💯

Beautiful cruiser and rifle you have there! That reminds me of my old MK18.

You aren't messing around with all those changes you're making to the truck. I wonder what you'll have done by next week!

One of the things that really dated the interior of my rig was the ugly dash trim/applique. It reminds me of Green Marble texture fill when you create shapes in Microsoft PowerPoint; like a throwback to 1997. So as part of my modernization of my Cruiser, I'm ditching it! Many of the pieces came off easily, but the window switch trim at each door is a BEAR to get off. I tried fishing line and thin cloth to work enough of it up to get my fingers under it. But it's breaking up into smaller pieces as I go. I've currently got only one out of the four doors done and then I have the driver's side air vent left. The rest has been removed and it looks 10X better! My fingers are aching though; this adhesive is no joke!

IMG-3999.jpg

IMG-4003.jpg

IMG-4002.jpg

Here's how she looked the day I bought her.

IMG-3943.jpg

If you think about it, there’s a striking parallel between accessorizing trucks and guns.

If you think about it, there’s a striking parallel between accessorizing trucks and guns.
Indeed! And then there's the constant battle of reconfiguring things. Same SBR'd lower; different setups :)

50219588182_0142f7877f_k.jpg

46160659544_5047e88795_k.jpg

45825761595_fdf1707ed3_b.jpg

I tell folks I’m into ruggedly reliable mechanical things. The land cruiser, my guns, my watch, and my scuba gear. My wife gets all of it except the diving!

Thoughts for the front caps (dont worry about it, or search for a solution?) Those wheels look great. I really have been satisfied leaving mine stock since they perform…but those are tempting.

45825761595_fdf1707ed3_b.jpg

This doesn't look .... efficient.

Thanks! I'm really happy with the wheels; they transformed the look of this rig, IMO. @harrydunn sent me pics and a full write-up on making the center caps fit. I threw the center caps on the rear wheels, but probably won't do the modifications to make the fronts work. I kind of like the look.

Grace Community Church as in MacArthur?!
No, this was Grace Community Church in Tempe, Arizona. Scott Jones was the pastor at the time. We no longer attend there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom