New Member*** SIXTY DEUCE ON THE LOOSE!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks so much! Ouray is heaven on earth, My Friend. I pinch myself on a daily basis! Hope you and your wife visit again soon! We got a little bit of snow last night- just enough to make things REAL pretty around here! AND... my Cruiser fired right up this morning on the 1st try!
1585952956157.jpeg

@Sarajco, love your life motto 👍
there's alot of info and help available here, i'd suggest listening to the veterans.
oh yeah, here's the official mud welcome:flipoff2: beware the rabbit hole you stepped into

Another Coloradan! Welcome to MUD.

Looks like a nice cruiser. In Colorado try not to drive it in the mag chloride. Even then you'll still want to keep the underside clean as much as possible. The sheet metal Toyota used for cruisers during that era is very rust prone. When Toyota made the next model-the fj80-they ramped up the quality of the sheet metal and it holds up much better. Also your list of work is a bit light even for a cruiser in good shape. Typically a fj62 to be baselined for daily driving reliability will need all the hoses gaskets and seals replaced, motor mounts, lube the window regulators, new lspv valve and brake master, fan clutch, sway bar bushings, waterproof all the electrical connectors etc.

Awesome and congrats. Happy birthday BTW!
Headed to Ouray for SAS4 this August with my son Ryder.
4CB83554-86A6-42E4-9999-0296E4E21715.jpeg

C5D16463-FE41-4BDC-A8CE-6D4538D7FA4C.jpeg

Can’t wait to see Colorado, I’m from Oregon which has a little bit of almost every state packed into one.
83A4F891-F7D5-42E3-A9F0-EB385D195BC0.jpeg

B5ABED66-74DD-4E56-9C1D-5811CEA951CC.jpeg

Snowball❄️ the boy and I can’t wait!
60881481-3A69-4044-8009-C7AAE1015D65.jpeg

Looks like a nice cruiser. In Colorado try not to drive it in the mag chloride. Even then you'll still want to keep the underside clean as much as possible. The sheet metal Toyota used for cruisers during that era is very rust prone. When Toyota made the next model-the fj80-they ramped up the quality of the sheet metal and it holds up much better. Also your list of work is a bit light even for a cruiser in good shape. Typically a fj62 to be baselined for daily driving reliability will need all the hoses gaskets and seals replaced, motor mounts, lube the window regulators, new lspv valve and brake master, fan clutch, sway bar bushings, waterproof all the electrical connectors etc.
Oh Wow! I didn’t realize that
Don’t forget to do/check the oil galley plug!
It’s a pressed in plug little bit over the #5 plug that tends to slide out.
Once it does you will lose all oil and will kill the engine.
Lots of threads on this.
Good to do for piece of mind.
Thank you so muc

Not going to lie... I didn’t sleep well last night because of this post 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hate mag chloride 🤬 but I know that it’s a necessary evil where I live. We only have 1 paved road in town and live on a street that they heavily spray regularly. What do you recommend? How do you think I should approach protection? Thank you a million times over again for the feedback- I’m a newbie but I’m VERY passionate about this. Please consider me a sponge that’s just absorbing all your Cruiser knowledge. A very grateful sponge!!!!

Awesome and congrats. Happy birthday BTW!
Headed to Ouray for SAS4 this August with my son Ryder.
View attachment 2259423
View attachment 2259420
Can’t wait to see Colorado, I’m from Oregon which has a little bit of almost every state packed into one.
View attachment 2259426
View attachment 2259431
Snowball❄ the boy and I can’t wait!
View attachment 2259438
SWEET CRUISER 😍!!! And THANK YOU for the birthday wishes!!!
As for Ouray... Prepare your eyes for beauty, My Friend! We had a decent amount of snow this year so our summer should be SUPER lush & green with LOTS of wildflowers! You’re going to love it- However, Oregon is just as beautiful!
Please feel free to message me with any questions about the area or local spots! 🤫🤫🤫
I love the name Ryder- It’s on my list of possible names for my Cruiser! <- nerd alert 🤓🚨

@Sarajco, love your life motto 👍
there's alot of info and help available here, i'd suggest listening to the veterans.
oh yeah, here's the official mud welcome:flipoff2: beware the rabbit hole you stepped into
Oh man... it’s only day 3 of this FJ62 life and the rabbit hole is SO deep. I’ve lost sleep, I’m clearly distracted at work & home, all I think about is how to prepare my Cruiser for this crazy rust prone world that we live in.😱😱😱
Thankful for the Cruiser veterans who pioneered this path. ❤️

Hahahaha. I keep a detailed maintenance journal, but there ain't no way I'm adding it up!
Good call on the maintenance journal!!! I’ve just started one and NOTHING is more satisfying than adding to it! Thanks for the idea!!!

Not going to lie... I didn’t sleep well last night because of this post 🤦🏼‍♀️ I hate mag chloride 🤬 but I know that it’s a necessary evil where I live. We only have 1 paved road in town and live on a street that they heavily spray regularly. What do you recommend? How do you think I should approach protection? Thank you a million times over again for the feedback- I’m a newbie but I’m VERY passionate about this. Please consider me a sponge that’s just absorbing all your Cruiser knowledge. A very grateful sponge!!!!

Best advice is get a winter beater that you don't mind getting eaten up. Fluid Film is a good solution if that's the best you can do. My plan is to get under her and coat everything with linseed oil. It polymerizes as it dries and makes a good rust/corrosion inhibitor. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions on the matter.

These are the comments that I love!!! THANK YOU!
I’ve added everything you’ve mentioned to my list!! I’m a newbie- I’m literally here to absorb your knowledge and trail and error!
Best advice is get a winter beater that you don't mind getting eaten up. Fluid Film is a good solution if that's the best you can do. My plan is to get under her and coat everything with linseed oil. It polymerizes as it dries and makes a good rust/corrosion inhibitor. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions on the matter.
Dude... your like basically a rust wizard right now!! Thanks so much for the tip!!! It’s FOR SURE noted!! Quick question- should I only worry about this for my FJ62? Or should I also show concern for our 💯 series as well? We spray the undercarriage and wash it semi regularly. Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!!

Welcome! Always great to have another FJ62 on here! Great original truck. Going to be a fun one. :beer:

Welcome! Always great to have another FJ62 on here! Great original truck. Going to be a fun one. :beer:
Thanks so much!! I’m glad I found this place!
I’m quickly learning that every morning is like a VERY expensive Christmas morning with an FJ62!! It’s worth it!!! 😀

Dude... your like basically a rust wizard right now!! Thanks so much for the tip!!! It’s FOR SURE noted!! Quick question- should I only worry about this for my FJ62? Or should I also show concern for our 💯 series as well? We spray the undercarriage and wash it semi regularly. Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!!
You're making me blush. I don't think the 100 series are as prone to rust. Something about the sheet metal standards in the 80s.

Oh Wow! I didn’t realize that

Thank you so muc

You can spray some fluid film underneath. But honestly that will just slow it a little i think. 60 series cruisers just dont hold up well against it. Just what I have seen anyway. That's the disadvantage of a older vehicle. They have to be babied more. I personally would not drive it in the mag chloride nearly at all and buy a cheap car to drive when mag chloride is on the road instead. Mag chloride as you drive over it turns into a fine mist every second you drive over it. That mist tries to then seep into everything. It tries to seep into between every spot weld, window frame, and enclosed channel. So if your on the road for 30 minutes, that's 30 minutes of mist soaking the body of the truck. You can wash it, but a good wash only lasts like 10 minutes of fresh soap/water spray. Its unlikely that will flush out all the seeped in corrosive mag chloride. 100 series cruisers have far more modern construction materials and sealers and can handle it much better. If you stripped a 60 series body completely down to bare metal, then you might be able to put it on a rotisserie and properly prep and coat it thoroughly to last a while against that stuff. But that's very expensive.

Last edited:
The solution to driving a '60 in Mag Chloride is to park it inside..... and drive a 3rd gen 4Runner ('96-'02). Much more rust resistant, can get a 5 speed, capable off road.

IMO, the worst things people do to old trucks is park them over dirt, fail to garage them, and drive them on the worst days of the year. As they say in the tractor world, 'Shed your old tin' - keep it indoors. I realize not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford garages and multiple vehicles. If this is the case, yes - in the summer or a dry time, clean it well, and spray Fluid Film on every single welded seam on the underside, and in every door cavity and inside the rocker panels. Keep the truck as dry and greased as you can. Rust cannot form under a layer of grease. Don't use tar-type 'sound deadener' products, as the can easily trap moisture and dirt under them, at which point they are worse than nothing at all. And then check over the vehicle closely every year, and look for weeping rusty water or bubbling, or other signs.

The solution to driving a '60 in Mag Chloride is to park it inside..... and drive a 3rd gen 4Runner ('96-'02). Much more rust resistant, can get a 5 speed, capable off road.

IMO, the worst things people do to old trucks is park them over dirt, fail to garage them, and drive them on the worst days of the year. As they say in the tractor world, 'Shed your old tin' - keep it indoors. I realize not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford garages and multiple vehicles. If this is the case, yes - in the summer or a dry time, clean it well, and spray Fluid Film on every single welded seam on the underside, and in every door cavity and inside the rocker panels. Keep the truck as dry and greased as you can. Rust cannot form under a layer of grease. Don't use tar-type 'sound deadener' products, as the can easily trap moisture and dirt under them, at which point they are worse than nothing at all. And then check over the vehicle closely every year, and look for weeping rusty water or bubbling, or other signs.
Funny you say that... my other car is 1997 Toyota 4 Runner. I was going to sell it- but now I’m seriously considering keeping it as a winter car. 1 more question- someone on here suggested boiled linseed oil- I’ve been researching and it looks like a pain in the 🤬 to apply. But it seems to be legit. What are your thoughts on it?

So sad when your considering keeping a vehicle just to avoid driving a vehicle that you don’t want to be damaged out in the weather a 60 was meant to drive in...

So sad when your considering keeping a vehicle just to avoid driving a vehicle that you don’t want to be damaged out in the weather a 60 was meant to drive in...

Agreed! It was NOT my original plan! I’m hoping to find a remedy and at least be proactive. Or drive my Nike’s 👟 during the winter months 😂 Just kidding. With that being said- nothing will stop me from driving this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom