New Member, seeking assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I am about to purchase a BJ-42 in Williamsburg, VA. Before purchasing it, I'd like to get it inspected by someone familiar with diesel engines (which is certainly not me) and hopefully someone who understands (appreciates?) Cruisers. Does anyone here know of a person fitting the description, or a resource to which I can turn in order to find some help? I have contacted the two TLCA clubs in the area to see if they can be of help as well.

Thanks very much,
Jay

sorry can't help but good luck

best way I have found is a magnet and tap everywhere on the body, check the floorpans, and frame really well. As for the motor, make sure she doesn't bruise you leg with the shifter, and see how she starts and turns off. all the sound should be in the injector pump, kocks ticks anything like that is bad. A mechnics steathiscope is a good idea. There are alot of lines on a cruiser, look for your rear heater, (most get neglected and cut off) look at wires, everything in detail.

I kinda got ripped looking back on it all now, but seriously I have never regreated buying it for a minute, she made a few noises when I got her, but I'm getting this sorted out and she is becoming a real nice rig. Main thing in my opinion to look for is rust, any of these trucks that is reall dry and rotten I would stay way from, oil undercoats are a really good idea!!!

I know it isn't much help but good luck

ohh you could always buy on from one of the fourms trusted experianced cruisers guys, like Wayne (AKA crusher) I knwo thats where my next rig will come from, but it really depends on yer location!

cheers

Honestly I don't know anyone in Va that knows toyota diesels well enough that could give you a fair assesment. There are a few usual cruiser heads that know 40's and have seen a few diesels but probably not tell your the intracies of the 3B. Your best be might be to find the local denso dealer. They will most likey be familiar with 2lt's and the few toyota diesels that are around.

Is it the red 42? I the one redone by the guys at 4 wheel auto?

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find the Denso dealer, thats really helpful!

It is a red 42. I don't know that it was redone by 4 wheel auto, I was told that the seller did the work.

Jay

like said above, check the tub over well. but if its not too expensive I would not worry about the tub, these are replaceable for not too much money. 3k cad

important is your test drive, watch for signs of excessive smoking under load. if you don't see much then chances are your compression should be good. If not then engine rebuilds very easily. 1500k cad parts, plus max 1500 labour

one important note. these trucks are rare. getting one with a USA title and in decent shape is a good find. if the price isn't stupid high(otheriwse it should be perfect) then small problems are worth dealing with.

The BJ42 had the decent engine(3B) h55f(5spd) and powersteering. I also think it had front disc brakes. so a little rust wouldn't stop the sale if it was me. especially with all the aftermarket tubs out there.

also my opinion is if a 3b is running good, drives well then it is healthy. sure the valve rockers might be beaten a bit, and the head could be cracked, but unless yur gonna tear it down for an inspection getting it checked out by someone who doesn't know won't help.

but if you can do a compression test then it might help you sleep at night if the truck is very pricey. I have never done one on my BJ60 and I don't plan on it either, unless she starts running strange.

welcome to the board.

brownbear said:
The BJ42 had the decent engine(3B) h55f(5spd) and powersteering. I also think it had front disc brakes. so a little rust wouldn't stop the sale if it was me. especially with all the aftermarket tubs out there.

Not all '42s had the H55F, only 1983-84 did, same for power steering (not 100%), but yes all did have the mighty 3B. What year is this one?

Based on my experience (I'm kinda newb and others are far more experienced, but what the hell), I would really check the following:

Rust on inside frame rails, especially from the tubular frame cross member back.
Rust on the inside of the rear cross member and the diagonal braces.
***RUST IN THESE AREAS can compromise the integrity of your frame and mean your truck is not drivable/dangerous/needs a new frame ($$$)***
I second being aware of the dry trucks with flakey rust. Mine is 1/2 aluminum already and will eventually be 100% so there are alternatives in the body but not the frame.

I second the purr factor on the 3B--I've never heard any but mine, but she is strong, smooth, and purrs at idle (loudly) without any hiccups. Black moderate black smoke under load is normal, as is white smoke at cold start. Other colors/conditions are a problem.

Tranny issues are the same for any manual tranny vehicle. Try the t-case: make sure you can get into and out of 4wd easily.

Otherwise, talk to the local cruiser clubs about the usual 40 series problems, with includes the above rust issues (which are exacerbated though in a BJ42 because it was originally a Canuck truck), but also the front axle seal service, interior condition etc. etc. I bet anybody in a local LC club would LOVE to go check out this truck with you, but be careful they don't buy it out from under you ;)

Expect oil leaks but if everything is dry then you probably have a very well-cared for rig. Or they forgot to put fluids in it ;p J/K

Anyhow, I've had a few :beer: s so I can't think of anything else now, but the 2 best things you've done are to contact local cruiserheads and to get onto this board which is the #1 place for non-USA cruiser info, I think. Welcome.

:cheers:
B

BJ42MA said:
Hello!

I am about to purchase a BJ-42 in Williamsburg, VA. Before purchasing it, I'd like to get it inspected by someone familiar with diesel engines (which is certainly not me) and hopefully someone who understands (appreciates?) Cruisers. Does anyone here know of a person fitting the description, or a resource to which I can turn in order to find some help? I have contacted the two TLCA clubs in the area to see if they can be of help as well.

Thanks very much,
Jay

Hi Jay and welcome. How many klms on the engine?
Do a search on google for a diesel fault diagnosis .If you cant
find one,PM your email and Ill send you a generic one.

Do a search on this forum for 3B and look at the usual problems owners have, not that they are problematic:D

Learn to read a diesel engine by its smoke
Blue = burning oil
black= fuel problem/air restriction
white=leaks in the fuel lines or running lean.

Lots of grey smoke on start up for prolonged periods can mean low compression.
A good diesel clears itself and runs smooth in seconds from a cold start.
As they get older the smoke takes longer to clear.
A good diesel service can fix some smoke problems.

It really needs a compression test or dynoed for HP to be certain its good.
Trying to get a seller to agree is not easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom