new member requests advice/assistance 24 hours from purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I am about to purchase my first 100 series. I found a 1999 with 220,000 in very good condition. I've been looking for one in my price range (on this forum as well as on Expedition Portal, autotrader, etc.) for about a year. I've read the Slee 100 Series introduction as well as numerous threads on this site (particularly the cost-of-ownership). I've already taken a look at and test driven the LC (it's great...no rust, Nevada for the first 5 years and AZ for the last decade), as well as agreed on a price and a pickup date (tomorrow). I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I wanted to seek out some final advice before I make the transaction. There is an extensive history of dealership maintenance on the CarFax (which I've attached below, along with pictures). My question is: Is there anything that I'm missing as far as PM goes? I feel comfortable, but I'm new to this world. I know the mileage is high, but the maintenance history calms my nerves. I don't want to be blinded by my excitement. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Screen shot 2014-10-28 at 4.50.16 PM.png Screen shot 2014-10-28 at 4.50.23 PM.png Screen shot 2014-10-28 at 4.50.29 PM.png

What is the purchase price? Maintenance aside non Pm things do wear out at 220k and the purchase price can help mitigate the unknown. Regardless of past PM, a good general rule of thumb is 20% of purchase price in repairs at purchase. Ultimately, the % of $ for post purchase repairs/PM/base lining depends on how obsessive you are with Land Cruiser disease.

Sounds like you've done your homework and that sounds like a great cruiser. If you are comfortable with the price, buy it. If it has been maintained as well as it looks and sounds like, you could maybe put 80k on that thing before having to do anything but change oil. 100 series cruisers are extremely reliable and in my opinion, pretty low maintenance. Its a good color, too.

Are you in Az? It does indeed sound like you've done your homework, while miles clearly matter, extensive service history (non lemon style) almost make miles, regardless of what sounds high, a non issue. When you actually climb under one of these for the first time, you see how over built it is compared to anything on the market these days, imo anyway. What you MUST do is go to toyota.com and sign up and put in the vin number ASAP, if it was dealer serviced, ALL of the dealer history will pull up, it may or may not coincide with what carfax says 100% but I would trust toyota for service history. I just picked one up locally from a guy on here who took a lot of pride in ownership and main't as I will. I fully expect to push well into the hundred of thousands of miles.

Bottom line = Gut. Go with your gut. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom