New member/owner intro....and a question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_0469.JPG
'77 FJ40, mustard.

Original owner put 171k miles and sold it to my friend/business partner. Complete engine removal/rebuild at 165k. I have the original -in Japanese-inspections sheet with the original sales receipt.

Partner agreed to sell to me after she sat in his barn for a couple of years not running.

We winched it on the trailer and spent some time checking things out. After a beer, she was off to her new home.

The rusty air cleaner housing sucked a 1/2" of powdery rusty goodness into the secondary of the carb.
IMG_0491.JPG

Through a pinhead tutorial on YouTube (thank you!) I rebuilt the carb and she starts right up and purrs well.

After the typical investigation period, I'm beginning to learn the qwerks and beauties of this 40 year old.

No rust in the floorboards. Original floor mat is in beautiful shape. Minimal surface rust in the rear.
Rear sill is toast. Will need replacement. Original owner was proud of his airforce career and screwed license plates to support in 2 side panels. He would also drive to California and strap extra gas in cans on the side, CB antenae hole also. In total there are 15 rust free holes in her from screws.

IMG_0534.JPG

My plan is to maintain the stock appearance and embrace the 40 years of imperfect paint

I will have the 15 holes just need of repaire to eliminate water intrusion.
Front winch is already rebuilt.
Air cleaner housing has been powder coated to eliminate the rust flakes in carb problem.
Front bumper and gussets are off to powder coating now too.
OME kit going on next week to eliminate the squat and improve ride/stance.

My question.

What is this connection?
IMG_0652.JPG

To orient, this next to the passenger sides gas tank

I don't have a rear heater. I'm not sure if this open connection is related to that or if this is a part of the fuel system.... I have pretty strong exhaust smell from a leak that is next on the list. No fuel smell inside. I just can't find what that connection is off the fuel diagrams.

Thanks in advance.

hOOter

Thank you for your replies. As I search further and track that fuel line back, it looks like it's a cut/dummy line.
IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG
The carb return line is adjacent to it and hooks into the side of the tank (vs the top) I don't know the history or why the line would be cut but it does look like I do have a return from the carb going into the side of the tank.
IMG_0656.JPG

The grommet through the body has two openings. So it's perplexing to me what was once there. But I am new, it could be standard operating procedure.

I got a good deal, it's still got that new car smell.

hOOter

Nice rig and the build year is spot on!...;)

FWIW - Those two fuel lines going thru the floor inside the grommet; the elbow is on the fuel supply line, and the other is the return and is attached to the side of the tank. Lift up the gas tank and look at the bottom of it, you will see the supply nipple in the back corner near that elbow.

Bottom side of an OEM '77 gas tank: (supply nipple in the top right corner of the tank)

img_0518-jpg.942228

When the head of the motor mount bolt is recessed into the cushion like that it's time for a new cushion.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Nice rig and the build year is spot on!...;)

FWIW - Those two fuel lines going thru the floor inside the grommet; the elbow is on the fuel supply line, and the other is the return and is attached to the side of the tank. Lift up the gas tank and look at the bottom of it, you will see the supply nipple in the back corner near that elbow.

Now things are starting to add up. I think...

My fuel tank supply line is off the bottom center of the tank at the drain

I guess a prior owner eliminated the supply line and rerouted to the bottom of the tank. Not sure why or if it's worth fixing. I'll have to find out what was done to the nipple on the passenger rear of the tank to seal it off.

Thx

Welcome, good score!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom