New member old FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been creeping here and enjoying the search function for a little while, thought I’d start a thread. The wealth of info here is awesome so a big thanks to everyone for that!

I’ve owned a lot of Toyota’s in the past from a 1995 T100 3.4 to a 2003 4.7 4Runner and many corollas, Celicas and camrys.

I’ve wanted an 80 for a long time and finally am able to restore one!

Goals for this truck are an all around family cruiser (kiddos are 4 and 2) that takes us clamming at the beach to hunting elk in the hills and fun off-road adventures in between.

1994 FZJ80
Odometer stuck at 239k best guess by PO of current mileage near 251k

Currently in baseline mode and fixing all the bandaids the PO applied

So far

Belts
Rad cap
Dif and transfer case fluid change
Hood struts

Next

PHH
Heater valve
Coolant flush
All coolant hoses/thermostat/etc

Has a cel for an 02 sensor and the TPS
Code 7 and 28.

F44057D5-017E-40DA-B0F4-EB063DD28780.jpeg
3535A85A-3BC2-4710-81E7-E952AB6F447F.jpeg
D6065E39-369F-49B4-A76C-3D934B8F9E94.jpeg

Welcome. Nice. Looks like you are baselining the right way.

Nice looking truck and good call on baselining the preventative maintenance items before diving into a bumpers, snorkel, etc... I'd also suggest doing the rest of the fluids (brake, transmission, power steering, oil, coolant). Also check the steering knuckles to make sure they have enough moly grease.

Before doing any modifications drive it for a while (6 months to a year) and start with a goal of what you will use the cruiser for and then work back from there. These are very capable in stock form and it looks like with your lift and larger tires you'll be able to cover a lot of ground as is.

Download the 94' factory service manual (try this link, let me know if it doesn't work) and refer to it as questions come up. I live in Bend but travel to Vancouver, WA often to visit friends and family (I grew up there) and could stop by and help out if you run into any issues.

Your 94' reminds me of mine:

upload_2017-9-22_21-7-33.png

'94' is best 80 Series. Very sharp looking rig. I would ditch the running boards and go with the front mud flaps for your use. I would at least spot check under the factory rack to be sure you aren't getting any rust under there. Exchange all fluids including the tranny and drive it for a year to see what else you might want to do.

:cigar:

Nice looking truck and good call on baselining the preventative maintenance items before diving into a bumpers, snorkel, etc... I'd also suggest doing the rest of the fluids (brake, transmission, power steering, oil, coolant). Also check the steering knuckles to make sure they have enough moly grease.

Before doing any modifications drive it for a while (6 months to a year) and start with a goal of what you will use the cruiser for and then work back from there. These are very capable in stock form and it looks like with your lift and larger tires you'll be able to cover a lot of ground as is.

Download the 94' factory service manual (try this link, let me know if it doesn't work) and refer to it as questions come up. I live in Bend but travel to Vancouver, WA often to visit friends and family (I grew up there) and could stop by and help out if you run into any issues.

Your 94' reminds me of mine:

View attachment 1542238

That linked worked, thanks. Rotella T6 and a Toyota filter was done first thing and then a UoA is next when I get a few miles on this fill.

The knuckles can be checked via a zip tie and refilled with a syringe and moly grease yeah? I will get to that today.

That linked worked, thanks. Rotella T6 and a Toyota filter was done first thing and then a UoA is next when I get a few miles on this fill.

Search the forums for Mobil 1 0W-40. T6 is what I usually run in my cars and motorcycles, but the 0W-40 test results sound insane.

The knuckles can be checked via a zip tie and refilled with a syringe and moly grease yeah? I will get to that today.

You can get a pretty vague idea of fill level with a zip tie. They swallow a lot of grease. I think I pumped nearly a full tube into each of mine when I first got it. My hands were pretty tired afterwards.

Check the wheel bearing for play while you're in the area.

Plan on pulling the Birfields and thoroughly cleaning and repacking them. It's a nasty job, but well worth it. I just finished mine, including replacing all the wheel bearings (Timken), trunnion bearings (Koyo), and all the seals and wipers.

Plan on pulling the Birfields and thoroughly cleaning and repacking them. It's a nasty job, but well worth it. I just finished mine, including replacing all the wheel bearings (Timken), trunnion bearings (Koyo), and all the seals and wipers.

I see cruiserparts has a kit and I’ve got a running list of part numbers too. Where’d you source the seals, etc?

There is a bit of dif fluid leaking on the drivers side so I figured the inner axle seal is leaking. When I changed the front dif fluid yesterday I noticed the breather was pretty plugged up too. I was hoping to get past elk season and into winter before rebuilding the front axle. Lots of time when it’s pouring rain to pull it into the garage and go to work on that.

Search the forums for Mobil 1 0W-40. T6 is what I usually run in my cars and motorcycles, but the 0W-40 test results sound insane.

I was just so familiar with the T6, I’ll do a search for the M1 thanks!

I got my wheel bearings from RockAuto and all the Toyota seals, gaskets, wipers, plus Koyo trunnion bearings from Amayama.

After I'd already ordered the parts individually, I noticed a rebuild kit on the Toyota parts diagram. I'm not certain what it contains, but it seems to be most if not all the seals and gaskets.

Also check your steering arm on the lower right to make sure the nuts and studs are tight. Common failure.

Also, do NOT remove the two screws and try to pull the wiring harness from the MAF on the intake air hose next to the filter for ANY reason. Many people pull those and break the wires, ruining a good part, then wonder why their truck doesn't run.

Welcome!!!:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom