New member, new ride… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spent the past few months traveling abroad in the Middle East and Eastern Europe. When I came across these older FJs, I simply fell in love. I shopped around for a bit and eventually found one that had recently been imported to Abu Dhabi from Yemen. Luckily, it hasn’t seen ocean net duty. She has very minor surface oxidation in a few spots, is all original sans the inner bed lining, and purrs like a kitten.

Looking to import it to the USA in the next month for some restoration work over the summer. I will definitely be digging around the forums for knowledge and appreciate the resource. Included a few pics for your drooling pleasure. Cheers.

0838F7E2-3F1D-4F7B-AFA0-2314AD51AC6D.jpeg

5BA8519F-F814-4F3C-8B40-3C029B328D53.jpeg

E67AC9BF-30C0-4979-A475-F9E22AD82232.jpeg

C7C3A498-B032-4FE5-B4C5-94A79D23023F.jpeg

what year? looks like a 1979 or 1980

1980 according to the paperwork... I have tried digging through several resources to identify the exact production date but have been unsuccessful thus far.

The interior looks 1979-80. However, it is equipped with power steering, probably a later swap.
In respect to the bed: you mean that under these metal protective sheets doesn't lay the original floor panel (with its beautiful ribs)?

Given that the Cruiser comes from a country where the civil war never ended since 2014, and these trucks are used in everyday fighting, along with even older stuff (like the Soviet WWII tank T34), I would say that your purchase is not only a rare unmolested truck, but a true survivor!
Congrats mate, enjoy it and keep posting!

PS. When in Oman, a couple of years ago, the locals suggested me not to entry into Yemen. They didn't dare either...

Last edited:
The interior looks 1979-80. However, it is equipped with power steering, probably a later swap.
In respect to the bed: you mean that under these metal protective sheets doesn't lay the original floor panel (with its beautiful ribs)?

Given that the Cruiser comes from a country where the civil war never ended since 2014, and these trucks are used in everyday fighting, along with even older stuff (like the Soviet WWII tank T34), I would say that your purchase is not only a rare unmolested truck, but a true survivor!
Congrats mate, enjoy it and keep posting!

PS. When in Oman, a couple of years ago, the locals suggested me not to entry into Yemen. They didn't dare either...
What year was PS added to the 2F or was it an option outside of the US market?

To be honest, I do not know what exists between the undercarriage and the top layer. The ribs still may be present but I won’t know until I pull everything apart stateside.

Unfortunatley, I don’t think I’ll make it Yemen this trip but in the Fall for sure… exploration with this truck is its intended purpose.

Will certainly keep you updated.

Power steering and A/C started 1/79. Could very well be stock power steering.
Sure, in the US!
However, I doubt that it did happen in markets like the Yemenite: in Europe started just in 1983. Even in Germany was a pricey option, thus very rare in 1983-84 German trucks (mine included).

Last edited:
To be honest, I do not know what exists between the undercarriage and the top layer. The ribs still may be present but I won’t know until I pull everything apart stateside.

Unfortunatley, I don’t think I’ll make it Yemen this trip but in the Fall for sure… exploration with this truck is its intended purpose.
It seems that using metal sheets replacing or to cover the stock floor panel is common practice in these countries. My FJ45 (Middle East specs but found in Greece!) makes, alas, no exception:

It seems that using metal sheets replacing or to cover the stock floor panel is common practice in these countries. My FJ45 (Middle East specs but found in Greece!) makes, alas, no exception:
I wish my tailgate looked that mint. It is the ONLY part I’m really concerned about salvaging. The passenger floor pan needs to be cut out but that seems rather trivial by standard of what I have seen for the price I paid.

I wish my tailgate looked that mint. It is the ONLY part I’m really concerned about salvaging. The passenger floor pan needs to be cut out but that seems rather trivial by standard of what I have seen for the price I paid.
It seems that your tailgate has some issues, but still repairable, I think. At least is complete and...original.
Here could help Mudders more experienced in body work than me.

PS. Do I understand right, that your answer is positive to the question of my thread?

Last edited:
It seems that your tailgate has some issues, but still repairable, I think. At least is complete and...original.
Here could help Mudders more experienced with body work than me.

PS. Do I understand right, that your answer is positive to the question of my thread?
Yes, that tailgate looks great!

Hello,

Congratulations on your truck.

If there are rear bumpers below the steel plate, they may be factory.

Are those factory fog lights?

You should consider installing a heater/AC unit when the truck is stateside.

I understand Yemen's Toyota dealer always ordered oddball models. This makes me think power steering quite likely is factory.

Juan

Hello,

Congratulations on your truck.

If there are rear bumpers below the steel plate, they may be factory.

Are those factory fog lights?

You should consider installing a heater/AC unit when the truck is stateside.

I understand Yemen's Toyota dealer always ordered oddball models. This makes me think power steering quite likely is factory.

Juan
I don’t know if those lights are OEM. They look to be based on aesthetic but I am not an FJ aficionado by any means. I know it is popular to add A/C to these trucks as I have seen a number of aftermarket kits. At this juncture, my primary focus is simply restoration - body, frame, suspension, engine, and transmission. Once the truck has been returned to her former glory, I’ll make considerations on aftermarket. As sacrilegious as it may be, a 2JZ or LS swap has been a consideration but I won’t know until that day comes.

I don’t know if those lights are OEM. They look to be based on aesthetic but I am not an FJ aficionado by any means. I know it is popular to add A/C to these trucks as I have seen a number of aftermarket kits. At this juncture, my primary focus is simply restoration - body, frame, suspension, engine, and transmission. Once the truck has been returned to her former glory, I’ll make considerations on aftermarket. As sacrilegious as it may be, a 2JZ or LS swap has been a consideration but I won’t know until that day comes.
You have a nice truck. As a purist, I would shun the personal thoughts of LS and other swaps. Only because as time goes on the original setup from the factory is the way to go. So many Cruisers have been changed. There are some people who change and companies like FJCO buy original, and make them modern and EXPENSIVE.

You have a nice truck. As a purist, I would shun the personal thoughts of LS and other swaps. Only because as time goes on the original setup from the factory is the way to go. So many Cruisers have been changed. There are some people who change and companies like FJCO buy original, and make them modern and EXPENSIVE.
Is there any value detriment to building the internals of the OEM motor?

It ain’t my truck, but the vehicles that last are the stock ones. Hot rodded trucks rarely stand the test of time. Stock or close to it is always the best unless you know you’ll never sell it, which you won’t know until 2-5 years into ownership.

That said, a really clean restored truck with a 1FZ and 80mm turbo is a lot of fun to think about, don’t waste your time with a 2jz, they are blown out pricing wise and a 1fz will do everything you want and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom