Builds New Member - New Owner 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
Posting an introduction as a new owner down in Ecuador. Originally from the USA and having spent the last 3 years in Australia my wife and I are going to settle down in Ecuador. Luckily she gave me free reign on the purchase and I couldn't resist this 2000 Land Cruiser with the 4.5 6 CYL. My knowledge is minimal at this point so be gentle but is this considered a BJ73? Medium Wheel Base (MWB)? Anyway, looking forward to making it my own and reading through this great forum for inspiration. Wishing all of you the best of luck in all you do! - Tony B.

Land_Cruiser_1_1.jpg

Land_Cruiser_2_1.jpg

Land_Cruiser_3_1.jpg

Welcome,

It's either an FJ73 or an FZJ73.

FJ73 = 1FZ 6 cylinder, carbuerated
FZJ73 = 1FZ-FE 6 cylinder fuel injected, same as the 80 series got in the US

A BJ73 would be a diesel 4 cylinder (B) engine and not in these years.

I didn't think they made the MWB as late as 2000, but I'm not super versed on the later models.

Truck looks great.

Welcome,

It's either an FJ73 or an FZJ73.

FJ73 = 1FZ 6 cylinder, carbuerated
FZJ73 = 1FZ-FE 6 cylinder fuel injected, same as the 80 series got in the US

No.

FJ73= 3F engine.

FZJ73 = 1FZ-F or 1FZ-FE. Denotation is in frame number and market specification.

Toyota vehicle designation will always be:

1. Engine family (F/B/H/HZ/HD/L/FZ, etc)
2. Series (J)
3. Generation (4x/5x/6x/7x/8x, etc)
4. Additional information to denote specifications beyond engine and vehicle family (MR-P/LV-MRQ/ ad infinitum)

Last edited:
Really nice, this one should be a keeper. Is it fuel injected? Get some seat covers on those seats before the fabric wears through.

No.

FJ73= 3F engine.

FZJ73 = 1FZ-F or 1FZ-FE. Denotation is in frame number and market specification.

1. Engine family
2. Series
3. Generation
4. Additional information to denote specifications beyond engine and vehicle family.

Will this one be from Japan or Venezuela?

Will this one be from Japan or Venezuela?

Well, they are all from Japan, to a degree, right? ;)

The more important question is did it come off the boat under its own power (RORO) or did it come in a crate (CKD) and assembled in VZA? Again, that's not known at this point without seeing some more information.

Hints: It has a SF rear axle (more than likely a Dana VZA local part procurement); it has side jump seats (another South American specialty); it has a "4.5" badge on the front fenders... Again, another VZA addition

No.

FJ73= 3F engine.

1. Engine family (F/B/H/HZ/HD/L/FZ, etc)
2. Series (J)
3. Generation (4x/5x/6x/7x/8x, etc)
4. Additional information to denote specifications beyond engine and vehicle family (MR-P/LV-MRQ/ ad infinitum)

Of course 3f on the FJ, forgot all about the 3F, fairly easy to do :)

Hello,

As mentioned above, it is a Colombia assembled FZJ73. Because of the model year and VIN format, it should have an EFI engine. Mileage is low for your neck of the woods. The truck looks very clean.

You may want to get yourself some seat covers.

Welcome to the madness.

Juan

Well, they are all from Japan, to a degree, right? ;)

Hello,

This reminded me of something I noticed a few days ago. I stumbled upon Australia's iron ore exports, including numbers and main buyers. It turns out Japan is one of them. Please forgive me if I am stating the obvious here.

Back in the day, Australia supplied Japan with metallic ores and received Land Cruisers -among other goods- in return.

Educated guess: at least part of the steel used in our trucks originated Down Under. So they are all from Japan, with a chunk of Australia.

Juan

Thanks everybody. Everyone seems concerned about my seats. Is there an issue with the material?

Here’s a pic of the motor and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there should be a center console where this metal tab is? Let me know.

D9F22D9D-E0EB-498A-B6DC-3E4FE9675831.jpeg

76DA3B74-551F-4C1D-8DB8-7ADF9759E076.jpeg

Yes, there should be centre console, They come in at least 2 colors, dark brown like this one and a darker colour but I forget the exact colour, i know the post 98 models had it in australia. There are also a few aftermarket options out there.
The seats are not cheap to recover if you want it done nice, just a suggestion to add covers as yours are showing signs of wear in the usual places.

Thanks everybody. Everyone seems concerned about my seats. Is there an issue with the material?

Here’s a pic of the motor and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there should be a center console where this metal tab is? Let me know.

Hello,

No issue with the seats. Given the truck's age and origin, they are in excellent condition. Hence the suggestion about getting seat covers.

Yes, there should be a center console. The anchoring tabs are there. It seems that the PO removed the console sometime in the past. One piece is missing. This is a picture from Chance, my FZJ73.

2015-12-13 09.57.48.jpg

Consoles are available in grey or oak.

This is how the console looks in a 70 Series like yours.

FZJ73 2 IMG_7667.JPG

Juan

Thanks for the replies. I will have to figure out if Ecuador has a junkyard so I can find another console. I’m not too worried about upholstery in South America as there are literally tons of shops competing for your business. Attached is an example offer beginning at $50 per seat.

C99D5C39-935E-439F-8D0F-B3A094F46FD9.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom